Australian Triathlon Forum Queensland » Ocean Swim Training Rss Feed  
Moderators: kaqphin, alicefoeller Reply
2013-02-21 10:22 PM

New user

Subject: Ocean Swim Training

Hi everyone

Like most I hear, my swimming is my weakest link and I would love to do a longer distance event such as an Olympic. However, the 1.5 km swim does cause me a bit of a concern. I would appreciate any advice of where I could train other than the local pool (I live in Brisbane) to develop my skills and any tips in overcoming this obstacle.

Previous events have been lake or dam swims of 400 m approx hence my hesitation in stepping up to the next level

My aim is to enter the Bryon Bay Tri in May if possible.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

2013-02-27 6:13 AM
in reply to: #4632618

Brisbane, Australia
Subject: RE: Ocean Swim Training
Just keep at the swim training and you will improve and build up confidence. You could also consider doing Kingscliff as your first Olympic distance race, it's in the same area and held in March. The swim there is in Cudgen Ck which is nice and clear and shallow but best of all it is hugely current assisted.
2013-02-27 8:25 PM

New user

Thanks for the tip on Kingscliffe. Yes I guess the best way forward is just keep swimming
2013-03-07 6:12 PM
in reply to: #4639819

hey bit of a delayed response but if you are in need of assistance with swimming. UQ has small group lessons they run. My ex room mate did these classes a few times really helped him. They also run adult squads if you are up to it.

The pool is always really busy of an afternoon though so that sucks but if you get in a squad you get your lanes for all squad people.

2014-09-05 7:47 PM

Does anyone know whether there are any ocean swim groups that head to Gold Coast or Sunny for a group ocean swim on the weekends?
2016-10-11 11:51 PM
in reply to: MDM62

I'm a (very) rank beginner, also. Just survived my first baby tri on the weekend, incl. 200m swim. 400m still seems like forever to me.

But I can help with open water ideas. In the lead-up to the weekend's race, I went down to the beach at Tallebudgera Creek at lunch time a few times. They have a flagged/patrolled beach area on the creek, so you can swim in safety.

Being on the creek, the water is flat. But it will have a current depending on low/high tides. I was swimming against the tide, to enable me to swim "virtual distances" longer than the space between the flags.

There are also several roped off areas at some of the beaches down here. Tallebudgera creek (further up from the beach), Paradise Point and the Broadwater, for examples. There may be similar areas closer to Brisbane?

New Thread
Australian Triathlon Forum Queensland » Ocean Swim Training Rss Feed