General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Last minute cold, rainy, windy HM gear advice needed Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-02-23 3:25 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas
Subject: Last minute cold, rainy, windy HM gear advice needed

Hey BT!

The Hyannis, MA HM is on tomorrow, as winter storm "Q" isn't going to slam us quite as badly as predicted, and I'm heading down in the morning to race (psyched to kick off the season!!).

At race time it's predicted to be about 41, raining and 15-20mph winds (I love the way that weather $uck$!!).  I don't mind the weather, but I have an apparel question (and thanks to those who provided advice for a cold but clear HM last season&hellip.

Would you wear a rain-proof winter running jacket over a long sleeve base layer, or go with a wind-proof shell (with removable sleeve-shoulder thingy so it can turn into a vest) over a performance base layer?  Or would you layer up even more, with either an added sweatshirt or a single layer of a performance sweatshirt weight top under one of the jackets?

I'm inclined to run with running tights and the vest/jacket over a single base layer, but I don't want to tip into FREEZING and haven't raced in just above freezing rain, so don't know how much being wet from the outside changes things.  I'm usually soaked from the inside by mile 6 or so anyway, but cold rain might be different (?).

Advice appreciated (better to learn from the wisdom - or mistakes - of others, as life is too short to figure it all out yourself!).

Thanks.

Matt

2013-02-23 4:51 PM
in reply to: #4634394

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
Subject: RE: Last minute cold, rainy, windy HM gear advice needed
I ran a marathon in similar conditions last year.  I went tech t, long sleeve t, and running jacket.  Was able to shed the long t but just tied it around my waist in case I needed it if I had to walk (thankfully didn't need to).  What made all the difference was wearing a disposable thin plastic poncho which I got rid of at about six miles.  It was perfect for staying dry while waiting for the start and the first miles.
2013-02-23 7:03 PM

Hat with brim for rain, headband for ears to protect from cold wind.

Cold gear compression long sleeve, can do running tights, light pair of gloves, or can just use sleeves if shirt long enough or has thumb holes.  I think a jacket would be too warm unless it does dip into freezing.

Good socks, avoid cotton.

Edited by ImSore 2013-02-23 7:05 PM
2013-02-24 6:02 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Thanks for the advice.

I went with "loose tights" (tight but not compression), a cold weather technical base layer with thumb holes in the sleeve, a vest/shrug shell combo (light, can remove arms but I didn't, not waterproof), a mizuno hat and gloves (mesh/technical).

It was ~40 with heavy rain and strong winds - in short, AWESOME!

I do have blisters on both feet (asiics socks), but there were rivers on the roads.

Glad I didn't do the waterproof jacket, as that would have been too warm.  I wasn't cold until the last half mile, but I wasn't seeing straight at that point anyway!

Wet shirt = bloody nipples, unfortunately, and the pants were so wet that they pulled downward noticeably the last couple miles.  True tights would have been better.

I hope the apparel report helps!

All said, worked out for me.  PR of 1:40:09, so I was quite happy!

Thanks for the advice. 

Matt

2013-02-24 6:26 PM

User image

Veteran
South Shore, MA
Awesome job on your PR, especially with the conditions today!  (I didn't race but live close by.  I went out for an 8 mile run and turned around before the first mile because the conditions were so awful.)  Congrats!!!
2013-02-24 6:41 PM
in reply to: #4635185

User image

Regular

Get a big garbage bag and cute holes in it for your arms and head. keep your arms in it till start of the race and shed it when necessary. Even if it isn't raining you can use it to block the wind for the most part and keep you a touch warmer.  

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Last minute cold, rainy, windy HM gear advice needed Rss Feed