General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Clipless Pedals Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-02-28 3:23 PM

New user
Key West
Subject: Clipless Pedals
I am trying to decide on some clipless pedals for my bike. I actually used cages for a few years and then finally figured out that they were not as efficient and my feet were bothering me in them as well. So, I borrowed some clipless from my neighbor for a recent HIM. They are Shimano XTR and he uses them on his off-road bike. Anyway, I actually liked them. However, my bike fitter is trying to talk me into Look Keo Easy clipless. My issue is that there is no adjustment on them and it makes me nervous. I like the idea of controlling the tension on my pedal and in all honesty like mine pretty loose. I understand that the Easy is, well--easy to clip in and out of, but also have read that I might outgrow them in terms of the tension I want. My question is why wouldn't I then just buy Keo Classics which I can adjust? Also, anybody have these and wish they had two sided clip in availability?

2013-02-28 3:29 PM
in reply to: #4640954

User image

Sensei
Sin City
Subject: RE: Clipless Pedals

I use shimano road pedals on my road/tri bike.  I do miss the double sided entry SOME, but it's really no big deal.  You get used to it and one sided is fine.

I have stuck to the tried and true SPD's for all my trail riding.

I think the biggest thing is, walking around with SPD's in road bike shoes get's a bit slippery.  The ones for road bikes offer a slight bit more grip.  I don't think you can go wrong with Looks, or Shimano, or many of the major brands/types.

2013-02-28 4:02 PM

User image

Veteran

I used Look pedals from 1988 until 2008... I loved them but then came... Speedplay!

O MY is all I can say! We currently have three sets in use and I have had them for several years now; they are the BOMB!

Double sided clip in, Clip out adjustable (some models) but the "tension" holding you in is alway the same.

I have never had a cleat unclip during hard use.

Give them both a try and see what you like best.

Looks are great but Speedplays (IMHO) ROCK!

2013-02-28 4:46 PM

User image

Pro
Twin Cities

If you like the pedals you have...why change? I have seven bikes; DH has two...and we run spd on all of them. In fact, we run spd mountain pedals on most (two have spd road pedals--and yes, such things exist ;-)).

I love my spds, and I love having compatibility across all my bikes and all my shoes.

You can pick up a set of spd-compatible, double sided pedals for super cheap.

2013-02-28 8:15 PM
in reply to: #4641019

User image

Elite
N Carolina
1_Mad_Madone - 2013-02-28 5:02 PM

I used Look pedals from 1988 until 2008... I loved them but then came... Speedplay!

O MY is all I can say! We currently have three sets in use and I have had them for several years now; they are the BOMB!

Double sided clip in, Clip out adjustable (some models) but the "tension" holding you in is alway the same.

I have never had a cleat unclip during hard use.

Give them both a try and see what you like best.

Looks are great but Speedplays (IMHO) ROCK!

x2!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Clipless Pedals Rss Feed