Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Subject: RE: 'The' Gun Thread
Pector55 - 2013-05-12 8:50 PM

jmk-brooklyn - 2013-05-12 9:17 AM
Pector55 - 2013-05-12 8:00 AM
jmk-brooklyn - 2013-05-11 5:40 PM
Pector55 - 2013-05-11 2:18 PM

Picked up UTS15's last night.  I'm hoping to provide a range report by Monday.  Definitely a cool setup but I know that some earlier versions were questionable in terms of reliability.

Wow, I bet you could bag epic numbers of waterfowl with one of those. That's what it's for, right?

Why do you hate nature?

How dare you? I love nature. Especially once I hit it with some dry rub and leave it in the smoker for a few hours. Mmmm....nature....

I laughed  ;-)

While I am a hunter, I also fish and this is the time of year where I get to see the geese out with their babies and if you have ever watched a family of geese, they really are one of my favorites.  I've never eaten goose.  I've heard mixed reviews on it but like you, I have a smoker and I would try it using that route.

Honestly though, I bought this particular gun for it's unique design.  The concept is fantastic and it's based upon a South African Neostead shotgun.  For law enforcement and home defense you can flip between which magazine tube you wish to use.  You could load 7 non-lethal 2-3/4" shells on the right and if the intruder refused to flee, you could flip to 00 buck on the left.  The bullpup design shortens the weapon, making maneuverability excellent inside the home.  I like the use of a shotgun in the house because I don't worry about shot penetrating my neighbor's home should I ever need to use it.

I will be keeping one and selling one so I can add a Kel-Teck KSG to the collection.  The geese are 100% safe.  

Goose is good. It's fatty, like duck (what with being a waterfowl and all), so you have to cook it slowly and render the fat out. The toss some potatoes with the goose fat and roast them. Goose have a weird bone structure, though, so carving them is an adventure. Never actually smoked a goose, but I'm sure it's worth a try.

It's a beautiful gun.

2013-05-13 9:48 AM
in reply to: #4739053

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE
Pector55 - 2013-05-12 8:50 PM
jmk-brooklyn - 2013-05-12 9:17 AM
Pector55 - 2013-05-12 8:00 AM
jmk-brooklyn - 2013-05-11 5:40 PM
Pector55 - 2013-05-11 2:18 PM

Picked up UTS15's last night.  I'm hoping to provide a range report by Monday.  Definitely a cool setup but I know that some earlier versions were questionable in terms of reliability.

Wow, I bet you could bag epic numbers of waterfowl with one of those. That's what it's for, right?

Why do you hate nature?

How dare you? I love nature. Especially once I hit it with some dry rub and leave it in the smoker for a few hours. Mmmm....nature....

I laughed  ;-)

While I am a hunter, I also fish and this is the time of year where I get to see the geese out with their babies and if you have ever watched a family of geese, they really are one of my favorites.  I've never eaten goose.  I've heard mixed reviews on it but like you, I have a smoker and I would try it using that route.

Honestly though, I bought this particular gun for it's unique design.  The concept is fantastic and it's based upon a South African Neostead shotgun.  For law enforcement and home defense you can flip between which magazine tube you wish to use.  You could load 7 non-lethal 2-3/4" shells on the right and if the intruder refused to flee, you could flip to 00 buck on the left.  The bullpup design shortens the weapon, making maneuverability excellent inside the home.  I like the use of a shotgun in the house because I don't worry about shot penetrating my neighbor's home should I ever need to use it.

I will be keeping one and selling one so I can add a Kel-Teck KSG to the collection.  The geese are 100% safe.  

I looked at this one real close, but ultimately went with my Mossy 930SPX because it was semi-auto.  I used to carry a Mossy 500 pump when I was in the Navy and they put us through a lot of high stress scenario's in training and guys would have trouble with their pumps due to stress.  I always did well in those scenarios, but I feel a little better with the semi and I feel a lot better if my wife has to use it.

I still think it's an awesome gun though. 

2013-05-13 10:00 AM
in reply to: #4643301

User image

Pro

Edited by Left Brain 2013-05-13 10:11 AM
2013-05-13 10:10 AM

User image

Pro

Fillet the goose breast.  Cut meat into cubes.  Soak cubes in milk for about an hour.  Roll cubes in flour/garlic powder/salt/pepper to taste.  Deep fry.  You're welcome.

Or.....fillet all the meat you can, take to butcher shop, have it all mixed with pork and made into meat sticks, jerky, whatever.

Don't ask me how I know these things......it was another life I had before my kids ran triathlon.  I got one hunt in this year.....

Edited by Left Brain 2013-05-13 10:17 AM

(canadas.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
canadas.jpg (123KB - 29 downloads)
2013-05-13 11:17 AM
in reply to: #4737856

User image

Elite
Venture Industries,
Pector55 - 2013-05-11 3:18 PM

Good news: looks cool and probably fun to shoot.  Bad News: Probably would be a banned firearm under either of the many Assault weapons bans floating around. (Semi auto with one of the other characteristics, that being the pistol grip.)

2013-05-13 11:55 AM
in reply to: #4739873

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Brock Samson - 2013-05-13 11:17 AM

Good news: looks cool and probably fun to shoot.  Bad News: Probably would be a banned firearm under either of the many Assault weapons bans floating around. (Semi auto with one of the other characteristics, that being the pistol grip.)

I didn't see anything if you didn't. In fact this whole post never happened. We're just talking about waterfowl.

2013-05-13 11:57 AM
in reply to: #4739873

User image

Champion
PA
Brock Samson - 2013-05-13 12:17 PM

Yeah that was another reason to grab them.  I picked up 2.  I'll probably sell or trade one but I wanted to add some additional shotguns to the collection.  I really want an SMR 1216 next but I'm not liking the price tag.  16rd, revolving semi-auto is a pretty cool concept.  The best part is that there is no large mag hanging down to get caught up on things. 

2013-05-16 5:46 AM

User image

Biden asks clergy to make moral argument on guns
http://www.cathnewsusa.com/2013/05/biden-asks-clergy-to-make-moral-...

I'm curious where all the "wall between church and state" types are.

2013-05-17 7:27 AM

User image

Can we just fold the ATF into the FBI now that the ATF is no longer purely a tax collection agency? Please? Then we won't have the turf wars, won't have all the head of the agency idiocy going on and it just plain makes sense.

When the ATF was Dept of Treasury they did perform another function, revenooers. Now they're just another TLA with perhaps the greatest set of overlaps of all the agencies.

http://www.jsonline.com/watchdog/watchdogreports/atf-agents-conduct...
ATF agents conducting sting let man leave store with gun
2013-05-17 7:35 AM
in reply to: #4744782

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

DanielG - 2013-05-16 5:46 AM Biden asks clergy to make moral argument on guns http://www.cathnewsusa.com/2013/05/biden-asks-clergy-to-make-moral-... I'm curious where all the "wall between church and state" types are.

Silly, you know that's only a one way wall.  The Church just can't have any influence on the state.

On a side note, my son did a survey as part of a school assignment asking kids why there was separation of church and state.  Pretty much everyone said it was to keep the church from influencing schools.

My how "education" has changed us.

2013-05-17 9:19 AM

User image

Gee, ya think?

Scarborough Admits IRS Scandal Makes Gun Background Checks A Little Less Appealing
http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/348619/scarborough-highlights-...

2013-05-23 6:40 AM
in reply to: DanielG

User image

With the new political joe, does that mean we're still stuck with the single gun thread or can it branch out to "Gun Control bills suggested", "Gun bills passed", "Guns you own", and the ever popular "Guns suck!" threads?

2013-05-30 9:21 PM

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL

Originally posted by DanielG With the new political joe, does that mean we're still stuck with the single gun thread or can it branch out to "Gun Control bills suggested", "Gun bills passed", "Guns you own", and the ever popular "Guns suck!" threads?

Agreed. 

2013-05-31 12:06 AM
in reply to: TriRSquared

User image

Pro
Agreed as well.....after all, there's only gonna be about 4 of us left, ya'll ran everyone else off. Laughing
2013-05-31 8:34 PM

User image

Well, until we hear back from Ron, I'm going to try to play nice and keep it in here. This really needs its own thread:

HELL FROZE OVER.

IL Senate, House approve concealed carry bill
http://www.sj-r.com/thedome/x1338691682/Illinois-Senate-panel-appro...

Illinois is set to join the 49 other states in allowing law-abiding gun owners to carry weapons in public for self-defense after the House on Friday passed legislation by an 89-28 margin.

The Senate voted in favor 45-12, and the bill now awaits Gov. Pat Quinn’s signature. A spokeswoman said the governor will review the bill, which will take effect upon his signing, when it reaches his desk.

It also deletes any handgun laws more restrictive than the states (Chicago's gun registry for one)

Notice those two passage numbers are veto-proof majority.

2013-06-03 9:40 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tucson

Why could IL not hold out for another week?  Constitutional carry would have been soooooo fun to watch!

At least they have something now.....time to start chipping away!

2013-06-03 1:15 PM
in reply to: kmanus

User image

Originally posted by kmanus

Why could IL not hold out for another week?  Constitutional carry would have been soooooo fun to watch!

About 24 hours after it defaulted, there would have been 220 different city laws about how to carry what you can carry etc. Chicago wouldn't have accepted any other CCW permit.

At least this eliminates all of Chicago's laws about handguns. They still have an AWB but preemption on handguns overrules all. That's a good thing or you would have had to figure out which magazine is legal in what city.

Plus now if you have a WI permit and go visit your buddy in IN, you can just keep your handgun with you driving through Chicago. None of this having to stop at state line horsehockey.

2013-06-03 6:59 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tucson
Originally posted by DanielG
Originally posted by kmanus

About 24 hours after it defaulted, there would have been 220 different city laws about how to carry what you can carry etc. Chicago wouldn't have accepted any other CCW permit. At least this eliminates all of Chicago's laws about handguns. They still have an AWB but preemption on handguns overrules all. That's a good thing or you would have had to figure out which magazine is legal in what city. Plus now if you have a WI permit and go visit your buddy in IN, you can just keep your handgun with you driving through Chicago. None of this having to stop at state line horsehockey.

Very true.  As a former Illinoisian I applaud the baby step forward.  As a current Arizonian...well....it could be better for IL.  :D  

I'm mostly pleased about the pre-emption.  The rest is hogwash and prohibitive.

2013-06-04 3:37 AM
in reply to: kmanus

User image

Madigan asks for 30 more days on concealed carry law
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/politics/clout/chi-madigan-asks-...

I'm glad I was sitting down when I read this. Shocking, I know.

2013-06-09 1:41 PM

User image

Austin, Texas or Jupiter, Florida
I thought it strange that in every mass shooting, you usually have the suspect's face, name, FB status, and high school girlfriend on the news by that night.

In the Santa Monica case, do you think it was part of a new "let's not praise the murderer" policy or was it something else?
2013-06-11 7:28 AM

User image

http://newstrib.com/main.asp?SectionID=2&SubSectionID=28&ArticleID=...
Assault weapons ban not likely as concealed carry law approaches

The more I think about it, the more convinced I am that the AG asked for an extension, she believes that all the cities and towns will want time to pass an assault weapon ban before they're not allowed to do so due to preemption.

What has become clear to me is that she, and people with her mindset, cannot fathom that others not only don't see a need to pass such a law but some actively don't want such a law. I do believe she pushed for the extension thinking every single place that could, would.

2013-06-11 10:14 AM

User image

Veteran
Roll Tide!!

Originally posted by DanielG http://newstrib.com/main.asp?SectionID=2&SubSectionID=28&Ar... Assault weapons ban not likely as concealed carry law approaches The more I think about it, the more convinced I am that the AG asked for an extension, she believes that all the cities and towns will want time to pass an assault weapon ban before they're not allowed to do so due to preemption. What has become clear to me is that she, and people with her mindset, cannot fathom that others not only don't see a need to pass such a law but some actively don't want such a law. I do believe she pushed for the extension thinking every single place that could, would.

No. Not all. My little Southern town (actually the city council) reciently tried to pass an ordnance that every household in the city limits (county? not sure) would be required to keep a gun in the home.

Seriously.

It did not pass.

I do not have a link because we have no newspaper/current events online here, and since it did not pass I don't think any of the 'bigger' papers got a hold of it.  

Although I am a gun owner, I did not support this ordnance. I want less government in my personal business not more... But just to show you how thinking can be different in different areas...

2013-06-11 10:30 AM
in reply to: Meljoypip

User image

Originally posted by Meljoypip

Originally posted by DanielG http://newstrib.com/main.asp?SectionID=2&SubSectionID=28&ArticleID=... Assault weapons ban not likely as concealed carry law approaches The more I think about it, the more convinced I am that the AG asked for an extension, she believes that all the cities and towns will want time to pass an assault weapon ban before they're not allowed to do so due to preemption. What has become clear to me is that she, and people with her mindset, cannot fathom that others not only don't see a need to pass such a law but some actively don't want such a law. I do believe she pushed for the extension thinking every single place that could, would.

No. Not all. My little Southern town (actually the city council) reciently tried to pass an ordnance that every household in the city limits (county? not sure) would be required to keep a gun in the home.

Seriously.

It did not pass.

I do not have a link because we have no newspaper/current events online here, and since it did not pass I don't think any of the 'bigger' papers got a hold of it.  

Although I am a gun owner, I did not support this ordnance. I want less government in my personal business not more... But just to show you how thinking can be different in different areas...

Please re-read what I was saying. I honestly believe Illinois Attorney General Lisa Madigan pushed for a 30 day extension so that all the home rule cities could pass an AWB. I really believe that's what she thinks they'll do, given the extended time.

Whenever I talk to someone with that belief, they seem completely bewildered that the cities and towns do NOT want to pass such laws and that there are cities and towns that want to take Chicago's ability to keep the AWB they passed away.

Your city council flummoxes the IL AG

2013-06-11 10:38 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Roll Tide!!

Originally posted by DanielG http://newstrib.com/main.asp?SectionID=2&SubSectionID=28&Ar... Assault weapons ban not likely as concealed carry law approaches The more I think about it, the more convinced I am that the AG asked for an extension, she believes that all the cities and towns will want time to pass an assault weapon ban before they're not allowed to do so due to preemption. What has become clear to me is that she, and people with her mindset, cannot fathom that others not only don't see a need to pass such a law but some actively don't want such a law. I do believe she pushed for the extension thinking every single place that could, would.

Seriously.

It did not pass.

Please re-read what I was saying. I honestly believe Illinois Attorney General Lisa Madigan pushed for a 30 day extension so that all the home rule cities could pass an AWB. I really believe that's what she thinks they'll do, given the extended time. Whenever I talk to someone with that belief, they seem completely bewildered that the cities and towns do NOT want to pass such laws and that there are cities and towns that want to take Chicago's ability to keep the AWB they passed away. Your city council flummoxes the IL AG

Right, I got what you were saying she was saying.  I was saying "no, not all towns..." to her, not you. I was baking up your belief that not all towns think that way.

Edited by Meljoypip 2013-06-11 10:39 AM
2013-06-11 11:08 AM
in reply to: Meljoypip

User image

Originally posted by DanielG http://newstrib.com/main.asp?SectionID=2&SubSectionID=28&ArticleID=... Assault weapons ban not likely as concealed carry law approaches The more I think about it, the more convinced I am that the AG asked for an extension, she believes that all the cities and towns will want time to pass an assault weapon ban before they're not allowed to do so due to preemption. What has become clear to me is that she, and people with her mindset, cannot fathom that others not only don't see a need to pass such a law but some actively don't want such a law. I do believe she pushed for the extension thinking every single place that could, would.

Seriously.

It did not pass.

Please re-read what I was saying. I honestly believe Illinois Attorney General Lisa Madigan pushed for a 30 day extension so that all the home rule cities could pass an AWB. I really believe that's what she thinks they'll do, given the extended time. Whenever I talk to someone with that belief, they seem completely bewildered that the cities and towns do NOT want to pass such laws and that there are cities and towns that want to take Chicago's ability to keep the AWB they passed away. Your city council flummoxes the IL AG

Right, I got what you were saying she was saying.  I was saying "no, not all towns..." to her, not you. I was baking up your belief that not all towns think that way.

Ah, got it. I am not helping the confusion with the "I believe that she thinks..." comments

New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » 'The' Gun Thread Rss Feed  

of 48