Other Resources The Political Joe » 'The' Gun Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 48

2013-03-02 9:22 AM

User image

Champion
Subject: 'The' Gun Thread

This will be the gun thread...kind of like TAN  Our last little experiment of only allowing one gun thread and freezing the older ones failed - there was even STILL namecalling on that, and who reads sticky notes at the top of forums anyways?  This will be our last attempt at allowing some civil discourse before we just ban the topic all together.  Truthfully our mods work hard, but when they spend 90% of their time babysitting one non-triathlon topic, something is wrong.  We don't want to lose our mods, they make this place great.

One user mentioned that this is such an important issue that the people partaking in the discussion should act like it's an important issue and talk with respect.  Let's try to do that here.

Here's the deal:

1 - All other gun threads accept for this one will be deleted.

2 - ANY name-calling will result in a one week timeout, 2nd offense is 1 month and so on.  Please pm myself or the mods if namecalling is occurring.

2013-03-02 9:50 AM
in reply to: #4643301

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL
Subject: RE: 'The' Gun Thread

I don't think I've been guilty of it (and I must have missed it in the other thread) but can we define "name calling"? 

Obviously being mean and nasty is pretty easy to define.  But technically saying someone is "anti-gun" or "liberal" or "conservative" is "naming" them but surely that's allowed, right?  I'm happy to play by the rules as long as I know what the rules are.

Edited by TriRSquared 2013-03-02 9:52 AM
2013-03-02 11:28 AM

User image

Elite

Thanks Ron. Like the rules say... stick to the topic and not the person. Don't play with the line, and you won't have to worry about crossing it.

2013-03-02 2:56 PM
in reply to: #4643386

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL
powerman - 2013-03-02 12:28 PM

Thanks Ron. Like the rules say... stick to the topic and not the person. Don't play with the line, and you won't have to worry about crossing it.

I'll just monologue from now on

2013-03-02 3:08 PM
in reply to: #4643545

User image

Elite
TriRSquared - 2013-03-02 1:56 PM
powerman - 2013-03-02 12:28 PM

I'll just monologue from now on

I thought it was great. Laughing

2013-03-02 6:55 PM

User image

Expert
Wind Lake WI

Might as well get this thread started.

Went to the local gun show this morning. Parking lot was overflowing with a line to get in to the building.

Ridiculous prices for both firearms and ammo. $1600 for an AR, $1200 for an AK, and  $1.00 a round for .223 ammo.  Was quite glad that I'm not looking for anything these days. 

Came home and loaded cast bullets for $.08 a round.

Off to the range next weekend  

2013-03-02 7:51 PM
in reply to: #4643730

User image

Elite
firstnet911 - 2013-03-02 5:55 PM

Went to the local gun show this morning. Parking lot was overflowing with a line to get in to the building.

Ridiculous prices for both firearms and ammo. $1600 for an AR, $1200 for an AK, and  $1.00 a round for .223 ammo.  Was quite glad that I'm not looking for anything these days. 

Hope you have a lot of powder... reloading is not immune from these things either. My shelves are empty here of everything.

2013-03-02 8:54 PM
in reply to: #4643762

User image

Expert
Wind Lake WI
powerman - 2013-03-02 7:51 PM
firstnet911 - 2013-03-02 5:55 PM

Hope you have a lot of powder... reloading is not immune from these things either. My shelves are empty here of everything.

I've been lucky and have been able to get power and primers locally without issues, although I paid slightly more for the last 5K of primers than in the past ($50/K).

Those just starting to reload are going to have a tough time finding presses, dies, and components.

Since the wife and son shoot as well, we were well stocked before the current crisis.

2013-03-02 10:46 PM

User image

Master
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Bronze member
One thread? Praise the Lord!
2013-03-03 12:14 AM

User image

Elite
... and pass the ammunition.
2013-03-03 12:54 AM

User image

Elite
Registered for Magpul's "Boulder Airlift" for Coloradoans to buy Pmags direct from factory. They are working on similar programs for other states with impending magazine restriction legislation.

2013-03-03 4:35 AM

Ron - 2013-03-02 9:22 AM

This will be the gun thread...kind of like TAN  Our last little experiment of only allowing one gun thread and freezing the older ones failed - there was even STILL namecalling on that, and who reads sticky notes at the top of forums anyways?  This will be our last attempt at allowing some civil discourse before we just ban the topic all together.  Truthfully our mods work hard, but when they spend 90% of their time babysitting one non-triathlon topic, something is wrong.  We don't want to lose our mods, they make this place great.

One user mentioned that this is such an important issue that the people partaking in the discussion should act like it's an important issue and talk with respect.  Let's try to do that here.

Here's the deal:

2 - ANY name-calling will result in a one week timeout, 2nd offense is 1 month and so on.  Please pm myself or the mods if namecalling is occurring.

Seems pretty fair, thanks

2013-03-03 4:54 AM
in reply to: #4643950

User image

powerman - 2013-03-03 1:54 AM

Registered for Magpul's "Boulder Airlift" for Coloradoans to buy Pmags direct from factory. They are working on similar programs for other states with impending magazine restriction legislation.

Ya like the artwork?

2013-03-03 7:28 AM

User image

Austin, Texas or Jupiter, Florida

Here's the deal:

Ron's a Jerk! Just kidding. I've been wondering when we'd get one "TAG" or I guess it's "TGT". Which is an artillery abbreviation for the word "Target". How appropriate.

Anyone wanna talk Shotguns? Who makes a good 20 gauge? I used to shoot dove with my grandfather with one and I remember the kick was pretty light. I was thinking of getting one to take my kids out to shoot clays some day (years from now so lots of time for research).

Last time I fired a shotgun was a Benelli Tactical in the Corps. Lots of fun there. I didn't get to fire the Mossberg because I was training on the SMAW at the time.

2013-03-03 9:00 AM
in reply to: #4644099

User image

Master
Somewhere on the Tennessee River
GomesBolt - 2013-03-03 7:28 AM

Here's the deal:

Ron's a Jerk! Just kidding. I've been wondering when we'd get one "TAG" or I guess it's "TGT". Which is an artillery abbreviation for the word "Target". How appropriate.

Anyone wanna talk Shotguns? Who makes a good 20 gauge? I used to shoot dove with my grandfather with one and I remember the kick was pretty light. I was thinking of getting one to take my kids out to shoot clays some day (years from now so lots of time for research).

Last time I fired a shotgun was a Benelli Tactical in the Corps. Lots of fun there. I didn't get to fire the Mossberg because I was training on the SMAW at the time.

In keeping with the one shot, one kill philosophy, the only shotguns I have are single shot break opens by Harrington and Richardson.   Simplicity at its best and they are bullet proof in the field.   Have a 12 gauge 28 inch barrel, a 20 gauge in 22 inch barrel and  my favourite is my .410/.45 colt 20 inch barrel that I use as a boat gun. Gotta have something just in case if the river pirates that ply this river act up. But then again most everyone here is armed.    

As Heinlein says, "Are armed society is a polite society."

Cool

The only firearm that I own that could be considered a terrorist weapon is my Glenfield model 60 that holds 18 rounds in the tube and plus one in the chamber.    It is pretty accurate.  Or at least I am accurate with it. Innocent

2013-03-03 9:14 AM
in reply to: #4644000

User image

Regular

DanielG - 2013-03-03 5:54 AM
powerman - 2013-03-03 1:54 AM Registered for Magpul's "Boulder Airlift" for Coloradoans to buy Pmags direct from factory. They are working on similar programs for other states with impending magazine restriction legislation.
Ya like the artwork?

Heard they're going to make a t-shirt too, sooo down if they do.

2013-03-03 1:21 PM
in reply to: #4644161

User image

MadMathemagician - 2013-03-03 9:00 AM

In keeping with the one shot, one kill philosophy, the only shotguns I have are single shot break opens by Harrington and Richardson.   Simplicity at its best and they are bullet proof in the field.   Have a 12 gauge 28 inch barrel, a 20 gauge in 22 inch barrel and  my favourite is my .410/.45 colt 20 inch barrel that I use as a boat gun. Gotta have something just in case if the river pirates that ply this river act up. But then again most everyone here is armed.    

Cool

The only firearm that I own that could be considered a terrorist weapon is my Glenfield model 60 that holds 18 rounds in the tube and plus one in the chamber.    It is pretty accurate.  Or at least I am accurate with it. Innocent

I too like the one shot concept especially for young'uns as they then don't get excited after the first shot and squeeze one off in your direction as they're turning to smile at you because they hit the clay/dove/target.

Who manufactures your 20 ga?

2013-03-03 1:30 PM
in reply to: #4644353

User image

Master
Somewhere on the Tennessee River
GomesBolt - 2013-03-03 1:21 PM

Cool

I too like the one shot concept especially for young'uns as they then don't get excited after the first shot and squeeze one off in your direction as they're turning to smile at you because they hit the clay/dove/target.

All my shotguns are H&R:  H&R    They are very reasonable in price and sell youth sizes also.

2013-03-03 1:53 PM
in reply to: #4644359

User image

MadMathemagician - 2013-03-03 1:30 PM
GomesBolt - 2013-03-03 1:21 PM

Cool

All my shotguns are H&R:  H&R    They are very reasonable in price and sell youth sizes also.

Duh, it says that right in your post. I think the smileys threw me off-track.
2013-03-03 3:08 PM
in reply to: #4644099

User image

Expert
Central Mass
GomesBolt - 2013-03-03 8:28 AM

Here's the deal:

I don't like Mossbergs.  I really like Benellis though  Vinci and Nova are great little pieces.  I know the Nova (pump) comes in 20 GA.  Beretta makes some great 20 ga too.  Stoeger makes some nice guns, but not as nice as the Benelli or Beretta.  But with a price to match :D .

Stoeger makes a $450 OA 20 ga both in regular size and youth size...  They make the same gun (full size, not youth) in 16 ga, 28 ga, and .410

We've got a tried and true Remington 870 20 ga.  

2013-03-03 4:25 PM

User image

2013-03-03 9:43 PM

User image

Pro
There is only one shotgun.....the Remington 870...all others are mere pretenders.The shotgun discussion can now end.
2013-03-03 9:48 PM
in reply to: #4644798

User image

Elite

Left Brain - 2013-03-03 8:43 PM There is only one shotgun.....the Remington 870...all others are mere pretenders.The shotgun discussion can now end.

I like semis for some reason, and would love to have a Benelli M4... but since that is a assault shotgun meant for the battle field, I doubt I will see one in my future.

2013-03-03 9:59 PM

User image

Pro
Back when I was involved with training retrievers I also did a bit of guiding for duck hunters. I don't figure on conditions more harsh than the mud, ice, river sand, and so on that came with those hunts. The experience cured me of semi's....and I never saw another pump gun that could hold up in those conditions better than an 870. Hands down, no comparisonin my mind.
2013-03-03 10:14 PM
in reply to: #4644808

User image

Elite

Left Brain - 2013-03-03 8:59 PM Back when I was involved with training retrievers I also did a bit of guiding for duck hunters. I don't figure on conditions more harsh than the mud, ice, river sand, and so on that came with those hunts. The experience cured me of semi's....and I never saw another pump gun that could hold up in those conditions better than an 870. Hands down, no comparisonin my mind.

I don't have a problem with 870s and would take one... but I don't duck hunt.

New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » 'The' Gun Thread Rss Feed  

of 48