General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Numbness Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-03-03 10:44 AM

New user
Indianapolis, Indiana
Subject: Numbness
Hello, I've posted this in the injury forum as well, but figured I might get a better response in here as well. I've run into a bit of an issue after my first semi long ride on my bike. First, I'll explain my short background. Got into triathlons last year after I lost some weight and decided I wanted a challenge. Completed a sprint and am now looking forward to an Olympic on May 10th and a Half Ironman on July 13th. I've just started the 20 week program here on BT, and yesterday was my first 1:30 minute ride. I felt pretty good going over an hour, but after that I started to get a bit uncomfortable on the saddle. This is on a trainer, if that makes a difference. I finished up a total of about an hour and forty minute ride. I have had some mild numbness before in my nether regions, but yesterday when I got off the bike, I had more pronounced symptoms, mainly can feel anything on the tip, if you know what I mean. I still have full function, but not much feeling. I thought it would come back fully today, but it has not, although it has come back somewhat. How long before I should start freaking out? I'm plenty concerned, but I've read it's happened in other triathletes, so my question is how long before I make the call to the doctor? I've had a check up this year, so I don't feel it's an underlying problem, just not a good match between a new saddle and riding a lot longer. I've also looked at the ISM Adamo saddles, and I'm looking into getting one of those as well. Any suggestions on what to do and what to expect? I'm really disappointed, I've been looking forward to this HIM for a year now, and I can't afford to not be in my best shape. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Edited by str8himalaya 2013-03-03 10:44 AM

2013-03-03 12:39 PM
in reply to: #4644243

User image

Subject: RE: Numbness
I've had the same problem when riding over an hour and a half. My issue was fixed by switching to the Adamo Race and wearing tri shorts instead of bike shorts.
2013-03-03 12:53 PM

User image

I had the same problem.  I just bought an adamo saddle last week and have gone on two rides with it.  No numbness.  It is a bit harder on the sit bones but others tell me I'll get used to that in a week or two.
2013-03-03 2:16 PM

Tampa
Agree with the adamo saddle and tri shorts. Bike shorts seam to push my stuff the wrong way. Also you could be looking at a fit issue. I read online you could be numb for an hour but you should be worried if it last longer. You could have an impingement to the nerve. I'm luck I live in florida so I'm really never on the trainer.
2013-03-03 6:21 PM

User image

First there's a reason they call us Numb Nuts.

Seriously New saddle designs have helped a lot over the years. Proper bike
fit is the most important. A saddle that is level to slightly up in the front
is the best depending on the bike you are on and if you are trying to stay in
the Aerobars. A lot of people think that having the saddle pointed down will
keep it away from the numb parts. But pointing it up will have the effect of
keeping your sits bones back on the saddle where they are supposed to be. This
lessens the amount of force up front. 
Also if this is your first time riding for longer times this is natural.
As you build up your time and distances it will get better. I am much more numb
after a criterium race than a century ride. This is because of the high RPM you
race at. Spinning moves you forward on the saddle thus more pressure and yep
numbness. Your better bike shops will have loaner saddles that you can try
before you buy. Adamo saddles have the effect of no pressure but they are wider
in the front and that might cause chafing in other areas.

2013-03-04 8:25 AM

New user
Indianapolis, Indiana
Good news, most of the numbness is gone today, but now I'm concerned about getting back on the bike. Today is not a bike day thankfully, but tomorrow is. Any suggestion on how long I should wait before getting back on the bike? I have an Adamo race coming to me through a demo program, but it could be the end of the week before I see it. Any suggestions on how long I should wait?

2013-03-04 12:53 PM

User image

Veteran

IMHO... I would take it easy until you address the issue.

If your new to the bike or the bike new to you, fit is very important. Each saddle changes your fit (saddle height) due to thickness variations...

2013-03-04 1:11 PM

Expert
Also every few minutes, stand up for a few seconds. Also, ride aero for awhile and sit up for awhile and rotate. Good luck.
2013-03-04 2:10 PM

User image

Regular
Ponchatoula
I'm piling on here, I had a similar but less severe situation. I didn't really notice it until I started riding over about 75 miles per week. I've now got an Adamo on both bikes. As mentioned up thread, it took me longer than expected for my sit bones to adapt. About 3 week of consistent riding.

Edited by remout 2013-03-04 2:11 PM
2013-03-04 2:56 PM

User image

Veteran
Panama City, FL
Need to assure proper bike fit and I have solved my issue with an ISM Adamo road saddle. Many other "cutout" saddles out there too. Good investment. You don't want numbness.
2013-03-04 4:09 PM

User image

Regular
East Wenatchee, Washington

Ditto what others have said on the Adamo saddle.  I could hardly stand going out for more than about 45 minutes on my tri bike due to the crotch pressure created by the nose of my traditional saddle.  Anything longer than 45 minutes and I was, to quote another person on this thread, numb nuts.  It was an issue of bike fit as I had a professional fitting to make sure my position and height were correct.

So, I purchased the Adamo ISM saddle and was better from the very first ride.  It does take a couple of weeks to adjust to the different pressure points on the sit bone, but it's way better than the suffering I was enduring before.  I rode nearly 3 hours this weekend on my tri bike...which was impossible for me on my traditional saddle.

Ditto what others said about using minimal padding in the bike shorts as well.  Tri specific shorts work great because the pad is small to begin with.

Good luck!

2013-03-04 4:26 PM

New user
Indianapolis, Indiana
I was using my tri shorts at the time so I don't know if that has to much to do about it. I have self fit my bike the best I can, and it seems ok, but even before that I have already scheduled another professional fit, 2d and 3d data, just to make sure. I have the Adamo Road coming in the mail to try out and see how I like it. I get a full 2 weeks to use it, and as long as I don't go "numb nuts" again, I will definitely get one. I was concerned, my girlfriend, was flat out ready to throw my bike in the trash. I'm feeling about 80 percent today, hopefully tomorrow will be the last of it. Definitely do not want to go through that again. I hate to postpone my ride tomorrow until I get the saddle, but it sounds like it's probably for the best. Thank you for all the advice so far, glad to know I'm not the only one!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Numbness Rss Feed