General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IMAZ Swim Vs. IMFL SWIM Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-03-21 10:20 AM

User image

Veteran
Subject: IMAZ Swim Vs. IMFL SWIM

So I am curious to those who have done both races,  what the major differences were between the swim courses. What are the PROs and Cons of each. thanks

2013-03-21 12:58 PM
in reply to: #4668784

User image

Elite
N Carolina
Subject: RE: IMAZ Swim Vs. IMFL SWIM

About the only thing these two swims have in common is that they are wetsuit legal.

2013-03-21 1:06 PM

User image

Veteran
asheville, nc
Jorgito22 - 2013-03-21 11:20 AM

So I am curious to those who have done both races,  what the major differences were between the swim courses. What are the PROs and Cons of each. thanks

Haven't done florida, but IMAZ is really cold, typically low 60's(think it was 61 in 2011).  Sighting is insanely easy. Since it's in a man made "river" or reservoir it's a perfect rectangle so it's pretty obvoius very quickly if you're swimming off line due to man made barriers.  If I remember correctly(its all kind of a blur at this point) but when you get out of the swim, they have what I remember to be bleachers that go into the water that you climb out.  They have people there to help, but I have heard of people getting hurt rushing to get up them.  

All in all, I felt the swim was fairly easy, i was WAY faster than I predicted and there is no current.  

Sorry I can't weigh in on florida, but i have heard it can be tough depending on chop.

2013-03-21 1:10 PM

User image

Florida was cool, about 70. Just warm enough that I really wanted a sleeveless wetsuit.

Clear water, though. Beautiful view of the thousands of jelly fish all around the swim area.

2013-03-21 1:13 PM
in reply to: #4669125

User image

Sensei
Sin City
I haven't done FL, but AZ twice.  Other than the cold, I can't imagine a swim being EASIER than AZ.  Unless it was a river swim and you are going down stream.
2013-03-21 1:16 PM
in reply to: #4669130

User image

Kido - 2013-03-21 2:13 PM

I haven't done FL, but AZ twice.  Other than the cold, I can't imagine a swim being EASIER than AZ.  Unless it was a river swim and you are going down stream.

Beach 2 Battleship does a channel swim and they try to time it so the tide's coming in at about 7:00. They generally succeed, too. I've heard the best swim time for 2.4 miles is around 44 minutes. It's exactly what you're describing but with salt water, so it's even more buoyant to start with.

Well, they do it well, except for the year I did the full and the tide was going OUT during the swim. That was fun

2013-03-21 1:39 PM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

IMAZ is colder, more predictable in terms of chop and no current to deal with.  No crazy ocean wildlife.  SINGLE LOOP (or at least it used to be...anyone confirm it is or isn't?)

IMFL is still not hot but not as cool as IMAZ.  The ocean is extremely unpredictable...could be smooth as glass or really wavy.  Ocean life can be scary (including jellies and a shark passed through the course a few days before the race one year).  TWO LOOP swim course.

2013-03-21 2:24 PM
in reply to: #4669184

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ
jldicarlo - 2013-03-21 12:39 PM

IMAZ is colder, more predictable in terms of chop and no current to deal with.  No crazy ocean wildlife.  SINGLE LOOP (or at least it used to be...anyone confirm it is or isn't?)

IMFL is still not hot but not as cool as IMAZ.  The ocean is extremely unpredictable...could be smooth as glass or really wavy.  Ocean life can be scary (including jellies and a shark passed through the course a few days before the race one year).  TWO LOOP swim course.

Still one loop.

2013-03-21 3:05 PM

User image

Expert

I've done both.

Florida Swim

Pros:  warmer water; clearer water; more space so you may not bump as many people; two loops can provide rest in between if you want; beach start and easy exit out of the water

Cons:  swim can be unpredictable as waves can be calm or can be large depending on weather and you have to deal with the current; salt water can be an issue if you swallow too much or also if you don't rinse off before the bike and run it can cause chaffing; some people don't like the two loops; might get stung by jellyfish

Arizona Swim

Pros: no waves to worry about; one loop if that is your preference

Cons: COLD swim - be prepared; crowded swim (in my opinion) due to the narrow space you swim in so most likely you will have contact with other swimmers; one loop if you prefer a break in between; steep steps on the exit; in water start (normally not an issue for me but since the water was so cold it was hard to wait until the horn blew to start swimming)

Everyone is different in what they like and don't like, so only you can be the judge of which one would be best for you.  Some people do not want to swim in the ocean with jellyfish, etc, but I love ocean swimming.  

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IMAZ Swim Vs. IMFL SWIM Rss Feed