General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman 70.3 Miami : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2013-10-25 9:35 AM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

New user
Hollywood, FL
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Miami : Official Thread
It looks like the weather will be cooperating with us. We're having the coolest day since early Spring and it looks like it will stay like that for the whole weekend. Also, wind forecast is showing calm 9mph winds.

2013-10-25 12:47 PM
in reply to: ccjr

Just in time, the last week has been brutal. So hot.
2013-10-25 1:57 PM
in reply to: #4883697

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
I took my bike out for a short ride today (in Fort Lauderdale) to make sure everything was working well post travel. Not too bad heat wise but holy windy!
2013-10-25 3:16 PM
in reply to: axteraa

Originally posted by axteraa

I took my bike out for a short ride today (in Fort Lauderdale) to make sure everything was working well post travel. Not too bad heat wise but holy windy!

Yeah the wind is always crazy, but especiallly so today in Ft. Lauderdale.
2013-10-25 5:20 PM

User image

Veteran
Grapevine, TX
Originally posted by ccjr

It looks like the weather will be cooperating with us. We're having the coolest day since early Spring and it looks like it will stay like that for the whole weekend. Also, wind forecast is showing calm 9mph winds.

Yup! Wind forecast changed enough to make Sunday look great, especially on the inland post of the course!
2013-10-27 4:46 PM
in reply to: FranzZemen

User image

Veteran
Grapevine, TX

2013-10-27 4:51 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

4:49:25 for me.  Really happy with that time - a PR by about 8 mins.

My Canadian blood roasted in the heat.

and I never want to run across another bridge in my life!

2013-10-29 8:50 AM

User image

New user
Hollywood, FL
6:47 for me. Overall, I really liked the venue and event organization, lots of volunteer/police support. Starting the run around 1PM was NOT fun, but there were lots of aid stations, which helped tremendously. The partly headwind on the bike in the way out turned into headwind on the way back o_O, NOT fun as well.

I was shooting for a sub 6 hours at the beginning of my training, but, I happy to have been able to participate, I hope this was the first of many 70.3s in the future, and I'm in for 2014 IM 70.3 Miami.

Oh, and next day does hurts .. a lot.

Cheers
2013-10-29 11:45 AM

User image

5:06.  12 minute PR but the first flat course I've done.  Bike was easier than Oceanside but run much harder.  Although didn't hit my secret sub 5 goal, pretty happy with the race, even the slow run, as I didn't walk but for aid stations.  And it was hot for this California boy too!

2013-10-29 6:34 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Grapevine, TX
Just got home after a 20 hour drive. Good times all around. My 5:08:04 was also a PR. The course was tougher than Galveston, where I posted a 5:46 and change., so a nice jump that included a a major improvement in the HM portion. The course was not nearly as tough as Rev3 Branson a month ago, and that race really prepped me for the bridge at Miami. Granted, the hills in Branson were on the bike, but a similar work ethic was required to get through that bridge four times.

Overall I thought the swim course was great. Outside of having to swim through extensive seaweed near the red ship (I think I strayed too far off the course....) which significantly slowed my swim, this was the cleanest water of the year for me except for Branson. The swim exit was safe and the "short" run to transition forced pacing through T1.

The bike was moderately windy - I suspect windier as the day wore on. But overall the course was flat and easy, requiring to work through the 56 miles. There were mats on the famed railroad tracks, so no launching bottles for the most part. Mine stayed in place. Inside of Miami proper there were some road surface issues, but nothing major.

The run, especially the bridge, separated those who trained well and/or maintained sufficient nutrition earlier as the sun was warm (as opposed to the clouds forecasted) and sweat rates were high. I personally thought the run distance was short of 13.1....my watch malfunctioned late so I could not verify.

I have to say I really enjoyed the other athletes from around the world, especially those from Central and South America. They, and their fans, are SO passionate - I think it helped elevate my game significantly.

One last edit - the only part of the event I was not thrilled with were the volunteers on the run aid stations. I witnessed some disorganization there and there seemed to be some leadership missing. But what was lacking in leadership was made up with urgency, so it didn't interfere with my race at least.

Edited by FranzZemen 2013-10-29 6:37 PM
2013-10-30 12:36 PM

User image

Nice race!  Agree with most of your comments - sea grass, blech, I swim in kelp, so I am used to it.  I was certain it wold be falling out of my tri top all day long.  But the swim was nice.

Weird that they covered two of three rail crossings, and the uncovered one was at that perfect [/sarcasm] angle to cross over.....  Wind didn't seem too bad, it was there but not a problem, actually found the wind the most annoying on the left turn towards Miami, seemed to have shifted a bit and you could see the downtown skyline waaaaayyyy in the distance.  And it was getting a bit hot.  Won't even talk about the drafting  :^  I unfortunately did launch one of their water bottles about 50 miles in. Agree on the road surcafe issue inside Miami, but did have to bunyhop one 8" or so hole, the ones usually covered by those mini manhole covers. Most isues were marked, but not all.

Run, It was hard, but I actually enjoyed it.  I was glad it was not hotter, as the couple spots where the we had a tailwind (the out and back under the bridge was one of those), showed how hot it could have been.  Breeze was nice.  Aid stations were carnage but I think that was just because they were so busy, didn't notice any problems getting what I needed, and I stopped at all of them other than the last two.  IM athlete tracker splits were off, seems they always are (first 1.6 mile split was way fast).  

bike was pretty spot on at 56.05, run was way short at 12.5 (confirmed by several ST postings).  It's a glorified out and back, not sure why they can't get that right.

2013-10-30 12:47 PM

User image

New user

Chicago
Hey guys! Ended up with a PR (only by 2 minutes - but a PR is a PR, so I'll take it)! Finished my second HIM in 6:16. This was my best swim ever, but I attribute it to the extra swim training. I finished in 51 minutes (I know, slow by many standards - but fast for me)! My last HIM swim was 56 minutes, so, I managed to shave 5 minutes off my swim, not bad. The sea weed did bother me a little since I'm not really used to swimming through it. I found the wind to be bad on the bike, but I managed. Honestly, I wasn't too thrilled by the scenery. I feel like there are a million other places that would have offered better scenery in South Florida. The run for me was rough. Those overpasses sucked the life out of me. Every time I ran over one I felt I was going to pass out, but that feeling would go away once I started the downhill portion. Was a little disappointed that the aid stations were running out of ice. By the end of my run only one aid station had ice. I could have really used more ice. Also, a fun fact, a friend told me that's the same bridge that the homeless man got his face eaten by that zombie dude that apparently was on bath salts. Compared to other races, I feel the spectator support was lacking. I could have used more people cheering me on. I don't think I will do this race again, but I did enjoy myself nonetheless. Glad to hear you all survived that strong Florida sun.
2013-10-30 1:42 PM
in reply to: Diesel J

User image

Originally posted by Diesel J Hey guys! Ended up with a PR (only by 2 minutes - but a PR is a PR, so I'll take it)! Finished my second HIM in 6:16. This was my best swim ever, but I attribute it to the extra swim training. I finished in 51 minutes (I know, slow by many standards - but fast for me)! My last HIM swim was 56 minutes, so, I managed to shave 5 minutes off my swim, not bad. The sea weed did bother me a little since I'm not really used to swimming through it. I found the wind to be bad on the bike, but I managed. Honestly, I wasn't too thrilled by the scenery. I feel like there are a million other places that would have offered better scenery in South Florida. The run for me was rough. Those overpasses sucked the life out of me. Every time I ran over one I felt I was going to pass out, but that feeling would go away once I started the downhill portion. Was a little disappointed that the aid stations were running out of ice. By the end of my run only one aid station had ice. I could have really used more ice. Also, a fun fact, a friend told me that's the same bridge that the homeless man got his face eaten by that zombie dude that apparently was on bath salts. Compared to other races, I feel the spectator support was lacking. I could have used more people cheering me on. I don't think I will do this race again, but I did enjoy myself nonetheless. Glad to hear you all survived that strong Florida sun.

Congrats on the PR!!!    I'm with you, glad I did it, don't see myself doing it again.

2013-10-31 12:41 PM

Veteran
New York, Connecticut
5:02. Pr by 13 min but was shooting for sub 5hrs.

It was HOTTTT
2013-11-01 3:58 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by ChrisM

Originally posted by Diesel J Hey guys! Ended up with a PR (only by 2 minutes - but a PR is a PR, so I'll take it)! Finished my second HIM in 6:16. This was my best swim ever, but I attribute it to the extra swim training. I finished in 51 minutes (I know, slow by many standards - but fast for me)! My last HIM swim was 56 minutes, so, I managed to shave 5 minutes off my swim, not bad. The sea weed did bother me a little since I'm not really used to swimming through it. I found the wind to be bad on the bike, but I managed. Honestly, I wasn't too thrilled by the scenery. I feel like there are a million other places that would have offered better scenery in South Florida. The run for me was rough. Those overpasses sucked the life out of me. Every time I ran over one I felt I was going to pass out, but that feeling would go away once I started the downhill portion. Was a little disappointed that the aid stations were running out of ice. By the end of my run only one aid station had ice. I could have really used more ice. Also, a fun fact, a friend told me that's the same bridge that the homeless man got his face eaten by that zombie dude that apparently was on bath salts. Compared to other races, I feel the spectator support was lacking. I could have used more people cheering me on. I don't think I will do this race again, but I did enjoy myself nonetheless. Glad to hear you all survived that strong Florida sun.

Congrats on the PR!!!    I'm with you, glad I did it, don't see myself doing it again.

Ya, me too. Good race to do once.  I enjoyed the fast bike split but I wouldn't want to race like that too often.  

The post race cruise was nice though.  

2013-11-03 11:13 AM

User image

Veteran
Grapevine, TX
I will likely do it again next year. It is perfectly situated on the calendar for a late season warm race. Only a month after Tahoe for me.

2013-11-15 7:05 PM

User image

Québec
I am thinking of doing 70.3 Miami in 2014. It would be my 1st HIM. I am wondering if it's a good one to start with. I wanted one in North America and later in the season... I live in Quebec City so I want to be able to train in the summer... I read that there were some nasty bike crashes, is the security on the bike an issue at this event? Didn't want to have a course too hilly either, but I can manage hills... remember, I live in Quebec

I'll be looking forward to your comments and any suggestion of another event that would be better

Thanks!
2013-11-15 7:14 PM
in reply to: TriGen

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

There are no hills on the bike - at all.  It is very, very flat!  The complete opposite of Quebec City!  

As one Canadian to another, the biggest challenge you may have is the heat.  By the end of October you will be used to fall temps and it was 28 degrees C this year which was actually a bit cooler than what it had been the previous weeks.

You have the best 70.3 possible (IMO) very close to you in Mont Tremblant but of course it is sold out and not late in the season.

I never felt unsafe on the bike.  It was a bit crowded at times but if you are going to do an IM branded event with 3000 participants, that is almost inevitable.  Do you want an IM event specifically or just the distance?

2013-11-16 6:38 AM

User image

Québec
I would've done Tremblant if it were later in the season and for a 1st HIM I wanted an easier one... My husband did the full IM at Tremblant and I did the bike course with him... it's a bit of a challenge... the run course also... definitely for my second HIM though

And wanted to do a branded Ironman event... it's kind of an assurance policy that the organisation is well done.

The heat in Miami is what scares me the most... In Quebec at this time of year it's below 10 degrees Celcius and don't do that well when it's hot... Have you done Augusta?

Gen
2013-11-16 6:50 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

I've not done Augusta, only Tremblant and Miami.  I found the run in Miami more difficult - a good part of that being the heat.  Bike is definitely easier in Miami.  The swim is also likely to be no wetsuits and it's in the ocean so there was seaweed floating around in clumps to swim into.

2013-11-17 11:17 AM

User image

Veteran
Grapevine, TX
Originally posted by TriGen

I am thinking of doing 70.3 Miami in 2014. It would be my 1st HIM. I am wondering if it's a good one to start with. I wanted one in North America and later in the season... I live in Quebec City so I want to be able to train in the summer... I read that there were some nasty bike crashes, is the security on the bike an issue at this event? Didn't want to have a course too hilly either, but I can manage hills... remember, I live in Quebec

I'll be looking forward to your comments and any suggestion of another event that would be better

Thanks!

Galveston is flat on bike and run, cool (water is cool even for Canadians at around 65 F) and the town has its charms (cheaper than Miami, some good local restaurants that are much more nicely priced) but its no luxury resort center. Its also at the BEGINNING of the year, but it could make for a good B race for someone looking to have a stronger later HIM in the year.

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman 70.3 Miami : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 3