General Discussion Triathlon Talk » hip stress fracture - recovery??? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-04-03 10:02 AM

Subject: hip stress fracture - recovery???

Greetings all,

I was just diagnosed with a stress fracture in my hip, underside of the trochanter, compression.  Has anyone had a similar injury and how has the recovery process been?  

For this year, I was aiming for Haines City 70.3 in May and IMFL as my first full iron in Nov.  Haines is out of the question and it seems that IMFL is a wild card.  

Had a bone density test which showed me as being in the healthy zone which is great given that I'm 40something.  It's going to be tough to change up the run as that's my favorite stress relief.  

Trying to stay as positive as possible and would welcome any experience, strength, hope or other!

Thanks much!

2013-04-03 5:12 PM
in reply to: #4684959

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: hip stress fracture - recovery???

What signs/symptoms did you have ?

2013-04-03 7:21 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
DO NOT RUN!!  Seriously.  Let it heal.  Did they put you on crutches?  Honestly I doubt IMFL will happen for you.  You can swim and bike as long as it doesn't hurt your hip.  They should do a follow up xray/MRI/bone scan in 6 weeks or so to see how it is healing.  I am a sports orthopedist who, ironically, had a hip stress fracture my first year of doing tris..........Feel free to PM me with questions.  Seriously the worst thing you can do is try to push this.  If you run too soon and it breaks thru it can be devastating.  It can take 3-6 months to heal.  Short term healing long term triathlete...........I know 6 months seems long but better to have a good hip the rest of your life than a total hip replacement in your 40s
2013-04-04 8:37 PM
in reply to: #4685765

I was having mixed muscular pain, which has recurred pretty much annually for past three years, this being third year.  The first two years, rest and ART helped.  This time, after a series of races, it felt different.  Pain in groin area radiating towards side.  I gave it about a month of reducing activity and it just didn't go away.  

Pain with any kind of weight bearing/shifting movements, climbing stairs, carrying stuff, lifting my left leg, getting in and out of the car, sitting in a certain way.

Three weeks now of no running and pain definitely less but still present at certain times.

2013-04-04 8:54 PM
in reply to: #4685864

Thanks for responding.  Sunday will be three weeks of no running, 1 week of no running since official diagnosis off mri.  I had a stress fracture about 23 years ago but have no record of which hip.

They did not put me on crutches.  I've become more careful about climbing stairs and general motion.  Stopped wearing heels, and don't do anything that hurts.  Thankfully, cycling and most swimming doesn't hurt.

Would love to pm you but how do I do that?  

2013-04-23 9:42 PM

Extreme Veteran
Atlanta, GA
How's your recovery going? I was just diagnosed a couple of weeks ago. I was not put on crutches either but have daily pain still so I'm wondering if crutches would be better.

2013-04-29 8:13 PM
in reply to: #4712707

Hi there,

I also had a compression stress fracture in femoral neck.

Sorry for the delay in responding.  My recovery is actually going very well.  After five weeks of no running I feel like I'm making progress.  From what I've heard on here, everyone is different.  In the month or so before my last run I eased up considerably.  Probably took about 3 full weeks off over last 7 weeks.  Based on my discomfort level, my dr said I didn't need crutches.  I made a number of changes to what I was doing and avoided anything that caused pain of any sort.  Definitely feel like I'm making progress.  Already was taking D3 supps and added calcium though my bone density test was in low normal range.

What did your dr recommend you do?

2017-10-19 9:02 AM
in reply to: Socks

would you recommend a MRI OR A MRI ARTHROGRAM if a ortho thinks I have a hip stress fracture. and can I stationary bike to keep cardio up?

thanks

todd
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » hip stress fracture - recovery??? Rss Feed