General Discussion Race Reports! » Stratton Faxon Greater Danbury Road Race Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Stratton Faxon Greater Danbury Road Race - RunHalf Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Danbury, Connecticut
United States
JB Sports
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = 189/714
Age Group = M30-39
Age Group Rank = 0/
Run
  • 1h 45m 36s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 04s  min/mile
Comments:

Tale of two races - the first 10K I logged ~46 minutes according to the watch and felt great. We turned the corner to come up the hill and ran into wind (someone told me later ~20 mph in our face?) and a longer hill than I had expected. I started getting a concerning spasm in both my upper calves around mile 10 which scared me enough to walk a little bit. In hindsight i should have 1) drank water earlier to mitigate and 2) run through it, but I'd never felt that twinge before and I got worried. Maybe lost 2 minutes to it, though, nothing nuts. This was a hard course and I'm still learning longer distances, so really, I'm pretty happy with everything.
What would you do differently?:

Hydrate! Also, I paced off of others on the hills, and in retrospect could have gone harder (spasms aside) and been stronger. I need to use my leg strength as an asset more than I did, I was having a lot less difficulty on those hills than some skinny chicken leg runners were despite being heavier.
Post race

Last updated: 2013-04-08 12:00 AM
Running
01:45:36 | 13.1 miles | 08m 04s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 189/714
Performance: Good
course measured at 13.2 on the watch, also fair to subtract 10 seconds on the front till I crossed the mat.
Course: stupid long hill from mile 7 to 10, followed by equally stupid steep downhill.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2013-04-08 8:22 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
Subject: Stratton Faxon Greater Danbury Road Race
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Stratton Faxon Greater Danbury Road Race Rss Feed