General Discussion Triathlon Talk » PRE on bike + HR != PRE during run + HR during training Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-04-17 2:22 PM

User image

New user
Subject: PRE on bike + HR != PRE during run + HR during training
I'm training using the Fink HR Zones.   I am supposed to be in Z1 or Z2 on the bike and run for most of the longer days of training.  One thing I have noticed is that when I bike with the same PRE as I have when I am running I am in a lower zone.  IE. when I'm running my HR is about 150 something but on the bike my HR is about 120 something but I feel as if I'm exerting myself the same amount.  Should I be using the same scale for HR for both activities?

2013-04-17 2:26 PM
in reply to: #4704449

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: PRE on bike + HR != PRE during run + HR during training

RPE on bike is higher than run.  It's because the blood flows different on the bike legs.  Sort of horizontal.  Same with swim.  It's because the body is more horizontal.

ETA... No.  You need different HR zones for each discipline.  Do a LTHR field test.

Edited by GAUG3 2013-04-17 2:27 PM
2013-04-17 2:32 PM
in reply to: #4704457

User image

New user
Subject: RE: PRE on bike + HR != PRE during run + HR during training
Thanks, that makes sense.  If I tried to get my HR up to run levels for the length of time that I need to be on the bike I would be in some serious trouble.  It would lead to one hell of a bike split though.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » PRE on bike + HR != PRE during run + HR during training Rss Feed