General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Jeff Galloway HM training plan Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-04-20 3:37 PM

User image

Expert
South Florida
Subject: Jeff Galloway HM training plan

My wife and her friend are talking about doing a Disney HM next February. My wife has done some  5K races, but her running is pretty much on and off again, about 8-10 mpw. Her friend is a non-runner. The Disney site has a plan designed by Jeff Galloway that seems to be catered to a beginner, but it's only 3 days a week (2- 30m runs and a variable distance longer run) this seems awful light on the running to me, but the only person I know how to train for a HM is me.

http://as1.wdpromedia.com/media/ewwos/pdf/rundisney/training-programs/2013/WDWHALF13beg.pdf

I looked and found the HM plans I had used years ago that worked well, but they all start out assuming a fitness level able to run a 10K.

What would work better, a couch to 5K program then a 10K program followed by the Hal Higdon/Cool Running plans for a HM or the Jeff Galloway plan?

2013-04-20 8:57 PM
in reply to: #4708407

User image

Expert
Floriduh
Subject: RE: Jeff Galloway HM training plan

Ah, the Disney Princess HM, done in twice, your wife will have a blast.  As far as the training plan goes, I guess it sorta depends on what her long term goals are.  The Hal Higdon plan is solid, but really geared for someone who really wants to be a runner.   The Galloway program is made more for survival than time, although I find at distances > 4 miles that a run/walk/run approach doesn't really add to my times (I not a fast runner). 

My daughter and wife trained for this race last year using the Galloway plan.  It is really light on mileage, just on LSD run and a couple of 30 min run during the week.  I think if your wife sticks to it she will survive, but I'd advise putting in at least one more run during the week.

2013-04-20 9:18 PM

User image

New user
Central Florida

I have used the Galloway plan with great success. The great thing about the Galloway plan is they are for the average person that don't have an exercise or endurance base. I used the Galloway plan to get four firefighters to run their first half marathon this year for the Disney Half. 

Jeff does one day running camps across Florida, mostly in May and June to coincide with the kickoff of Galloway training programs for goal races of Disney and Run with Donna. I know Jeff will be in Orlando on June 9 for the Track Shack kickoff. 

Good luck....Thomas

2013-04-21 7:06 AM

User image

Veteran

I've done both plans - HH for my first HM and Galloway for my marathon. I liked HH a lot, but I was already running plenty of mileage. It sounds like your wife would do great with that.

Galloway was great because it helped me train for the marathon and avoid injury. I still use it for longer runs.

But the discipline to do run/walk is not to be taken lightly. If you don't believe in it, or need it, it's kind of hard to force yourself to do sometimes. I found it easier to accept because of my injury and knee problems.

Are they planning to train together, or could they each choose their own plan?

2013-04-21 7:44 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

I used Galloway's beginner's plan for my first HM five years ago.  Galloway presents it as the minimum required to prepare for a race and I would agree with that.  Nothing wrong with the weekly long runs, but I'd suggest adding another 30-45 minute run during the week to build more overall volume.  That's what I did in subsequent years and felt much better prepared for the race.

Mark   

Edited by RedCorvette 2013-04-21 7:47 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Jeff Galloway HM training plan Rss Feed