General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Saddle Sores :( Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-04-22 2:12 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas
Subject: Saddle Sores :(

Okay, so I'm pretty embarrassed to have to ask about this subject, but here goes....

At the beginning of March, I was having some bad chafing issues where my inner thighs met my saddle.  I went to a professional fitter as I suspected it was a fit or saddle issue -- we made some significant changes (dropped the seat post and moved the saddle forward) and it took care of the chafing.

Unfortunately, not long after, I noticed a tender bump down there -- I chalked it up to an ingrown hair.  I was able to drain it and keep up the bike training.  But then I noticed another (and another, and another) tender bump.  Most of them are like blood blisters with a ton of pressure, making sitting on them uncomfortable. 

I've "drained" them (in that I've squeezed until blood shoots out and the pressure is relieved), but it seems only to be a temporary fix, as they fill back up within a few days.  I use chamois cream (and recently started trying bag balm), good shorts (that are removed quickly after a ride....as I head for the shower, so it's not like I'm sitting around in my filth), and have had a professional fit, but am going back for a follow-up later in the week.  I'm hoping tweaking the fit and/or replacing the saddle will get to the root cause.

But my real question is: now that I've got saddle sores, how in the world do I get rid of them?  I've been using a topical Benzoyl Peroxide solution to try to dry them out....and I even took a full week off the bike.  Do I need a doctor to drain them?  What kind of doctor does that (GP, dermatologist, gynecologist??)?  I've got a knee injury, so biking and swimming is all I can do....and with this issue, swimming is about the only thing I can do comfortably.  Would like to get back in the saddle!

2013-04-22 3:01 PM
in reply to: #4710265

User image

Master
Falls Church, VA
Subject: RE: Saddle Sores :(
Get some draw out salve with ichthammol. This pulls the bad stuff to the surface and they usually pop on their own in a day or two.

http://www.cvs.com/shop/product-detail/CVS-Drawing-Salve-Ichthammol-Ointment?skuId=705149

2013-04-22 3:15 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii

saddle sores are no fun for sure.

I've battled those a number of times.

Usually a hot bath and drying out, will help bring them to a point you can drain them.

Eventually they have gone away on their own....a few times stubborn though.

When I started riding long this season they bothered me, but so far they have disappeared.

I use a lot more chammy cream now. That helps prevent.

2013-04-22 3:35 PM

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas
My wife had something similar that she thought was just chaffing and saddle sores, but it turned into a staph infection.  She went to both the ob/gyn and dermatologist before she could get it straightened out.
2013-04-22 5:29 PM

User image

Give a boiling bath with epsom salts about every night a shot. I mean just about too hot to stand for about 10 minutes or so.

2013-04-22 6:42 PM

User image

Minneapolis, MN
I get them the second I ride in shorts that I ran or just worked out in. Clean/fresh shorts always helps me.

2013-04-22 8:03 PM

User image

Veteran
ligersandtions - 2013-04-22 2:12 PM

Okay, so I'm pretty embarrassed to have to ask about this subject, but here goes....

At the beginning of March, I was having some bad chafing issues where my inner thighs met my saddle.  I went to a professional fitter as I suspected it was a fit or saddle issue -- we made some significant changes (dropped the seat post and moved the saddle forward) and it took care of the chafing.

Unfortunately, not long after, I noticed a tender bump down there -- I chalked it up to an ingrown hair.  I was able to drain it and keep up the bike training.  But then I noticed another (and another, and another) tender bump.  Most of them are like blood blisters with a ton of pressure, making sitting on them uncomfortable. 

I've "drained" them (in that I've squeezed until blood shoots out and the pressure is relieved), but it seems only to be a temporary fix, as they fill back up within a few days.  I use chamois cream (and recently started trying bag balm), good shorts (that are removed quickly after a ride....as I head for the shower, so it's not like I'm sitting around in my filth), and have had a professional fit, but am going back for a follow-up later in the week.  I'm hoping tweaking the fit and/or replacing the saddle will get to the root cause.

But my real question is: now that I've got saddle sores, how in the world do I get rid of them?  I've been using a topical Benzoyl Peroxide solution to try to dry them out....and I even took a full week off the bike.  Do I need a doctor to drain them?  What kind of doctor does that (GP, dermatologist, gynecologist??)?  I've got a knee injury, so biking and swimming is all I can do....and with this issue, swimming is about the only thing I can do comfortably.  Would like to get back in the saddle!

Any saddle sores prior to this fitting?

Maybe the obvious cause is the changes you made...

If you never had saddle sores prior you may want to reevaluate your position, again…

Edited by 1_Mad_Madone 2013-04-22 8:06 PM
2013-04-22 8:03 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Been there done that.  I am a doc and I usually lance my own.  I use an antibiotic ointment on them if infected.  I use body glide on the offending areas.  Also get an acne wash and wash the offending area.  It keeps the bacteria count down.  I sometimes use a product called calmoseptine for an active owie.  You can use it as a lube as well but its a bit messy.  There is another product called Skin strong that works well as a lube as well. I have a dermatologist friend who said to sit in a chlorine bath but I have not done that.  I think the acne wash really does help.  Also don't shave.  THe hair is meant to protect you.  I would see a dermatologist

Edited by Socks 2013-04-22 8:04 PM
2013-04-23 6:06 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Unfortunately, the only real way to get rid of saddles sores is to stay out of the saddle for a few weeks. You may need to take some time off to let them heal completely. And you're not alone... you usually have at least a rider or two that withdraws from Tour de France (or any of the other major tours) every single year from saddle sores...

I'm going to assume that the fitter did a really good job, so your position on the bike is sound and correct. I think you may want to invest in a different saddle... you may have pressure points that causes the saddle sores.
2013-04-23 6:15 AM

If it is an ingrown hair see your md and have it removed. I have a friend who had to have that done. She explained how nasty the foot long curled up hairs were. (blecch) You can do it yourself but I'm sure it will heal faster with a clean cut.

I too got a fitting and then ended up with blisters on my sit spots. The fit is more comfy with no soft tissue pain but just quarter sized blisters. I stayed off the bike for 5 days to let them scab over and then did a short (18 mile) ride with A&D ointment on them knowing they would split again. That was about 4 days ago and they've healed up really nicely.
2013-04-23 7:30 AM
in reply to: #4710752

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas
1_Mad_Madone - 2013-04-22 6:03 PM
ligersandtions - 2013-04-22 2:12 PM

Any saddle sores prior to this fitting?

Maybe the obvious cause is the changes you made...

If you never had saddle sores prior you may want to reevaluate your position, again…

I never had saddle sore issues before this....so I basically traded one problem for another.  I agree -- the position needs to be reevaluated again, which is why I've scheduled a follow-up appointment for Friday.  Hopefully we can get this squared away....I'm starting to feel like I should give up on riding as I seem to have a million (crotch) issues with it!

2013-04-23 7:33 AM

User image

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA
I read over it again and didn't find the answer, was the saddle ever changed out?
2013-04-23 7:34 AM
in reply to: #4711053

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

audiojan - 2013-04-23 4:06 AM Unfortunately, the only real way to get rid of saddles sores is to stay out of the saddle for a few weeks. You may need to take some time off to let them heal completely. And you're not alone... you usually have at least a rider or two that withdraws from Tour de France (or any of the other major tours) every single year from saddle sores... I'm going to assume that the fitter did a really good job, so your position on the bike is sound and correct. I think you may want to invest in a different saddle... you may have pressure points that causes the saddle sores.

Okay, so one week off the bike was probably not enough?  I took a full week off and the day before I decided I was going to try again, two of the saddle sores filled back up....so I was no longer convinced that time off is what I needed.  Maybe I jumped to the wrong conclusion...

I have a follow-up appointment with my fitter on Friday -- we'll see if the position needs to be tweaked, or if I just need to bite the bullet and try a new saddle.  Sadly, I think I'm a week over my six month return period for my Cobb saddle.  I kinda thought the saddle might have been the issue, but didn't return it early enough.  Hopefully we can find one that works for me as the Adamo (Road) definitely did not and the Cobb V-Flow Plus seems to not.

2013-04-23 7:35 AM
in reply to: #4711148

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

wolfador - 2013-04-23 5:33 AM I read over it again and didn't find the answer, was the saddle ever changed out?

No, we just made some position changes. 

I previously tried an Adamo Road, which worked terribly for me....I'm currently riding a Cobb V-Flow Plus which has been tolerable, but never what I would consider comfortable.  A new saddle is probably worth trying.

2013-10-18 4:36 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Expert
Near Tampa
I started riding an ISM Road on a tribike to relieve the numbness and the sores just started bothering, I decided to wait and "get used" to the new saddle but a yr later nothing has changed. I even tried zip tying the rails closer.

I tested a COBB on my road bike and didn't have any issues so I will move the COBB to my tribike and test it all this weekend. If that fixes it, there will be an ISM Road saddle on the bidding block. I will post the condition in a week or so.

BTW: I changed only the saddle when this whole thing started. While I do shave the affecting area, my blisters are NOT caused by ingrowns, it's the damn saddle. This thing is designed for someone with a "wide crotch"...wait, is that even allowed here? Anyhow, the COBB is narrower and I hope it will be a winner.
2013-10-18 4:44 PM
in reply to: TrkHilo2k

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas
Forgot about this thread....I guess I should update.

I had issues with the Adamo Road, really bad issues with the Cobb V-flow Plus....the worst issues with a Hilo Bontrager. Tried an Adamo Attack and couldn't get comfortable on it, back to the Adamo Road, which was tolerable but not great. Then ST had a saddle demo tour and I ended up on a Profile Designs Tri Stryke -- no issues since!!

So while a lot of people have saddle issues that are due to fit, that's not always the answer -- sometimes it is the saddle. Unfortunately, they are so personal that no one can recommend a saddle that's guaranteed to work for someone ele.

2013-10-18 4:48 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Grapevine, TX
Definitive "cure" - wash with the same over-the-counter med use to clear up acne. It causes the skin to exfoliate, opens up pores and allows the body to heal itself.

Wash the area around and on the sore twice a day, every day, and continue for a few days after you think it is gone.

Edited by FranzZemen 2013-10-18 4:49 PM
2013-10-18 5:11 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
I see that you said that you have already lowered your saddle....... But, I have had a heck of a time with saddle sores over the last 18 months or so (since I got my new bike in 2012, with a new fit, coincidentally).

About six weeks ago I saw another fitter and in 30 minutes he made several small changes in my fit, but the biggest one that he made was dropping my saddle almost a full cm. Since then, voila, not a single hint of a saddle sore. I am completely amazed at how much nicer riding my bike is with out that constant under-carriage irritation. I don't know how to fix the ones that you have but I would think about lowering the saddle just a little bit and see if that changes anything.

Just a thought.

ETA. I see that you have solved your problem and that I am way late to the party.

I had a Cobb Gen 2 that I was convinced that I was incompatible with, but like you I was outside of the six month trial window. Since the saddle lowering I mentioned above, I put the Gen 2 back on and now really like it. Just another data point that different things can affect saddle comfort for sure.

Edited by wannabefaster 2013-10-18 5:16 PM
2013-10-18 5:40 PM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Using diaper rash ointment helps heal the sores pretty quickly. Keep your shorts cleaned to reduce friction. Have different types of shorts more and less padding to vary where the friction point hits.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Saddle Sores :( Rss Feed