World Triathlon Corporation
57F / 14C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 08m 37s
Overall Rank = 642/1194
Age Group = M 35-39
Age Group Rank = 116/165
Pre-race routine:

Drove over Thursday afternoon/Friday morning. Stayed with family about 30 minutes west of race site. Slept on a motor home sofa, not the best pre-race sleeping conditions but not too bad. Tried to keep the routine as normal as possible, got to bed at a decent hour, got up early, 3:45 AM, had a whole wheat bagel with crunchy peanut butter and the JIF version of Nutella (not the same). Small glass of 1% milk and a little left over Cafe du Monde cafe au lait. Then headed out to the race site.
Event warmup:

Not much, had no idea when I would hit the water because of the time trial start so I just kind of got in a group and stayed with them until we were called. Fortunately, my wave was the first AG wave, after pro men, pro women and relays. Basically tried to stay warm and conserve energy. Did do a few arm circles and shoulder stretches.
Swim
  • 44m 6s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 05s / 100 yards
Comments:

First tri with a time trial start, have to say, not really a fan. I actually like the full contact aspect of a beach & wave start. Felt like I was by myself the whole time. Also, not the cleanest water I've ever swam in. Literally could not see my elbow underwater. Impossible to draft because you could not see anything. Sighting was more difficult than I expected because of the sun and the slight chop. Also had on leg where I was close to the NOLA Fire Dept. boat and you could taste the fuel and exhaust in the water. That was very quickly followed by the smell of bacon.
What would you do differently?:

Swim more prior to a race. Since January 1, I have only swam twice. However, my average was right where it always is regardless of swim training volume.
Transition 1
  • 02m 39s
Comments:

Luckily I had a great spot, 2nd rack from the exit and an end spot. Because of the layout, I only had to run with my bike, maybe 100 feet on both T1 & T2. Felt like I passed a bunch of people in transition.

Nothing. Everything was very smooth. If I could find a race with 8 to 10 transitions, I could contend for a podium spot.
Bike
  • 2h 57m 24s
  • 56 miles
  • 18.94 mile/hr
Comments:

Goal was to be off the bike in under 3 hours. When I made the turn at 25 miles, thought that goal was shot. 25 miles of headwind had me pushing to maintain 15-17 mph. However, once I made the turn my speed shot up to 23-25 mph at the same effort. Unbelievable difference on the return. Nutrition plan worked great. Took in 3 bottles of Perpetuim, 3 packs of Shot Blocks and 6 Salt Stick pills. Drank every 3 miles, ate every 30 minutes and took 2 pills every hour.

Not much other than increase training volume. This was a very good ride for me. I passed way more people than passed me.
Transition 2
  • 02m 22s
Comments:

Another very good transition for me. Put on socks for the run which I usually do not and sprayed down with sunscreen. Even grabbed one last swallow from my bike bottle before heading out.

Not spray my glasses with sunscreen. Decided to not wipe it off because all that would do was smear it. Let it dry and didn't even notice by mile 2.
Run
  • 2h 22m 7s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 51s  min/mile
Comments:

My nutrition plan was awesome, got off the bike and felt no signs of cramping. Forced myself to hold back at the beginning. Wanted to be faster than 2:30 and made that goal. Only stopped running once and that was to high-five my cousin's daughter. Continued to take Shot Blocks every 30 minutes and 2 Salt Stick pills every hour. Only took the Perform once at the aid stations, stuck to water and Coke. The cold sponges and ice was also very refreshing. Family was at mile 8 and then again at the finish.

Again, not much other than increase training volume. Missed too many workouts near the end of my training plan. Life sometimes gets in the way. Sometimes you let it. Overall, this was a 19 minute PR and even though I didn't go under 6 hours, I am still very pleased with this race.
Post race
Warm down:

Sat while they took off my timing chip, almost couldn't get back up. Got a bottle of water then headed back out to see the family before they went back to the house. Went back to the park grabbed some pizza, red beans and rice, and a soda. Found some shade until I got cold.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Other than lack of training, nothing. For the work I put in, I was right where I expected to be.

Event comments:

Water quality will continue to be an issue inside of the marina. The time trial start really slows things down and spreads everyone out. I would think they could start from a floating platform (barge) and get an entire wave started at the same time. The bike is as good as could be expected and the run is better than multiple loops. The RD had a very good plan in place for getting participants to and from the start and I saw no issues with transportation. The after party was great with plenty to do, see, eat, hear and relax.

Last updated: 2012-08-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:44:06 | 2112 yards | 02m 05s / 100yards
Age Group: 108/165
Overall: 782/1194
Performance: Average
Suit: 2XU wetsuit from Wetsuit Rental
Course: Modified N shaped course. First leg was from the end of a peir on the west end of the marina 650 yds. to the first turn and the seawall on the east end. Sighting was tough due to the rising sun. After the first turn you swam a long diagonal, 500+ yds. to the next turn then made another turn directly into the sun for another 500+ yd. leg before turning one last time for the remaining 350+ yds. to the exit.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 64F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 02:39
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
02:57:24 | 56 miles | 18.94 mile/hr
Age Group: 98/165
Overall: 535/1194
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Basically a 25 mile out and back with a 3 mile out and back leg on the return. The way out of town had a few overpasses and was generally heading southeast. Wind was probably out of the east, southeast so created a headwind on the way out and a tailwind in the way back. There were a few sections of north-south which resulted in some wicked crosswinds. Roads were rough to ok. Some sections were new, but overall, a little more rough than I like.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 84
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:22
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:22:07 | 13.1 miles | 10m 51s  min/mile
Age Group: 129/165
Overall: 897/1194
Course: Run started at the marina then zig-zagged its way to Armstrong Park near downtown New Orleans. Parts of the run were along the south shore of Lake Ponchartrain, through some rough neighborhoods, through City Park, under the freeway and finally onto historic Rampart Street and the finish line. Not a ton of shade, but better than some courses. Aid stations every mile and great volunteers. The one thing that gets left out about this run is the ELEVATION!!!! Most people would assume that a city 6 feet below sea level would be FLAT, it's not. There are more bridges, overpasses, underpasses and berms (levees) than any place I've ever ran.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-04-23 12:49 PM

User image

Expert
Bradenton, Florida
Subject: Ironman 70.3 New Orleans

2013-04-23 7:13 PM
in reply to: #4711815

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 New Orleans
Nice job setting a PR. It looks like you had a good time, congrats.
2013-04-24 9:03 AM
in reply to: #4712547

User image

Expert
Bradenton, Florida
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 New Orleans
Thanks Chris.  This was a big step forward for me.  It's amazing how much you learn from your previous races.  REV3 is going to be an all out attack on the 6 hour mark.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 New Orleans Rss Feed