User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Broken collarbone options
finally managed to post a picture!

Edited by divegirlrox 2013-05-27 1:53 AM

(TitaniMum (Small img) IMG_1418.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
TitaniMum (Small img) IMG_1418.jpg (19KB - 32 downloads)

2013-06-01 10:55 AM
in reply to: divegirlrox

Extreme Veteran
NE Ohio
Divergirl

I had a distal break in November that required surgery and the same exact piece of hardware you have with the hook under the AC joint. I just had it removed on Thursday. DON'T GET FRUSTRATED. The hook is very aggravating. Once the injury itself starts to heal, you are still going to experience issues with this hardware. As my orthopedist said "it's just like a door stopper in your shoulder". Range of motion was very limited, especially raising the arm and rotating the shoulder. I couldn't swim, running was tough, and could not even attempt to get in the aero bars on my bike. I have not ridden a bike that wasn't on a trainer or stationary since October.

There is a lot you can do though. Keep that in mind and perspective. I did a lot of legs, stationary bike, stair climber, core and lifting with my good arm. I could hold weights in the bad arm after a while, but rotating upward was not an option.

I'm telling you this because i know what you have in there, and know what i just went through. I was frustrated for sure, from the injury at first, and then from the restrictions and pain the hook gave me even after i was feeling recovered. Don't let it get to you. Know there are things you can do. I hope you have a completely different experience than me.

If you have any questions, feel free to ping me. It really isn't something people that haven't had that piece of hardare understand.
2013-06-03 1:08 AM
in reply to: Bnclev

User image

Regular
Thanks for this Bryan. It's going to be a difficult 12 months with limited movement I guess.
I already have my bike on a trainer, and really anxious not to loose fitness completely.
I would be very interested to hear how you get on after the plate is removed, what is the recovery time and do you need more physio?
Cheers!
Dive
2013-06-11 1:00 PM

User image

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL

I'm lucky.  Did mine 2 weeks ago tonight.  Mine is similar to yours but minus the hook.  Also broke 4 ribs and punctured a lung.  Already been on the trainer 3 times.  Can already raise my arm parralel to the floor.  I'm shooting to be back in time for AG Nationals in August.  My next follow up is 2 weeks from this Thursday and they will tell me then if I can bump up the PT to be more aggressive.

Speaking of which, I need to do my lunch time PT. 

Good luck on your recovery.  I wish you all the best.

2013-09-14 12:01 PM
in reply to: bryathlete

User image

Veteran
The Woodlands, TX
I took a bike spill in early August. Broke the clavicle in the middle region in a couple spots.....two big pieces of bone on either end, and a small chuck in the middle. The two big pieces were displaced by about 2-1/2 cm. Went to the ER the night of the crash. They x-rayed and confirmed no rib or lung damage, as I was having trouble taking deep breaths. Went to see the ortho the next day, and was scheduled for a surgical repair one week after the crash (on a Thursday). I kept the arm in the sling for most of that week, and was on hydrocodone pretty regularly. I did have quite a bit of pain near the break if I moved my arm very much. No workouts at all in this time frame.

Surgery took quite a bit longer than expected. Apparently they had a lot of trouble finding a plate that fit my bones very nicely. The surgeon claimed they had six different models available, and ended up test fitting all six before deciding on which to use. The procedure took about 2-hours longer than they told my wife to expect. All of my movement related pain was gone after the operation. My understanding is that the plate provides the structural reinforcement until the bone grows back. I did have discomfort from the incision site. Thursday night was miserable, as things went a little wonky as the surgical pain meds wore off. After I woke up on Friday I felt much better, and improved rapidly after than. Stiches were removed after 8-days, and I was cleared to run and use the trainer. The guidance I received was no weight lifting (which I don't do anyway), no lifting more than 5-lbs above my shoulder, and to let discomfort guide my activity level.

So....I was able to start jogging again 1-week after the operation, and started up on the bike again two weeks after. It's been about 6-weeks now since the crash. I'm "pain" free, but I still have some numbness and irritations around the incision site, and I'm not very comfortable sleeping on my right side, although I can roll on that side for brief periods of time. I've been back to normal bike & run training for about 2-weeks now....riding 3 or 4 times a week and running 4 or 5 days a week. Dr says the small issues I have should continue to improve over the next couple months. He says no lifting more than 25# over my shoulder for the next month.

I still have not seen all of the bills from the surgery. My insurance covers almost everything, so my end was a $175 copay at the ER and a $200 copay for the surgery. I don't expect to have to do any PT. I'm curious to see what the final insurance billing comes up to.

2014-06-25 1:13 PM
in reply to: g_shotts

User image

Extreme Veteran
Media, PA
Subject: RE: Broken collarbone options : How soon to swim and run?
I guess this is the Collar Bone Thread.

Went down hard in a Criterium, during the sprint. Got bumped into by somebody, throwing my balance off. GPS showed about 28 MPH when we went down.

Rolled a couple times (my body, the bike slid ahead of me) cracked the helmet, my left shoe came off (even after it unclipped) and landed on the shoulder somewhere in there.

So this happened on Sunday 6/15/14, had surgery Wed 6/18/14. A mid-shaft fracture, the Ortho recommended surgery because the bone ends while overlapping, weren't really in good contact with each other, and I had a significant lump from the bone pushing up.

Got a plate and screws. Can kind of see that the "bone" is bigger now, but I think that's the plate.

Was off pain meds two days after surgery, there wasn't much pain after the crash or post-op. Only taking one aspirin a day, as directed.

So, I've read that a lot of people are back on the trainer about 2 weeks or so after surgery, and on the bike after about 4 weeks.

So how about running and swimming? I'm signed up for Savageman in mid-September. Doc thought that was reasonable (12 weeks after the crash) but I'm not sure he understood it was a tri, might have thought it was a bike race only.

It seems swimming would be the big potential hurdle, what are folks' experiences in getting back to those sports?

2014-07-02 2:59 PM
in reply to: tcj103

I was 8 weeks post surgery in a sling with no physical activity. I could walk and that was it. I was another 4 weeks out of the sling in PT before cleared to resume training.

I will say I had torn a ligament in addition to the clavicle fracture, and my surgeon was very serious about me not running, riding, or swimming until he gave the all clear. My experience does seem to be a bit of an exception when compared to what others have reported here on the board, and I am not sure if that has more to do with the nature of my injury or my surgeon was just overly cautious.

Once I was cleared, I came back pretty fast. I did not feel like I lost that much strength/stamina related to swimming. I would ballpark it as about what I would expect to lose if I did not swim for 12 weeks. Now lifting stuff over my head was a whole other story!
2014-07-03 12:58 PM
in reply to: mstimpson

User image

Extreme Veteran
Media, PA
Wow, did you have surgery as well for the 8 weeks in a sling?

I don't think I had any tendon or joint issues, nothing was indicated by the surgeon. Saw him on Tuesday for the follow up, 13 days after surgery, and I'm allowed out of the sling, but still restricted from any over-head reaching, or lifting of anything over 12 oz. He said the sling at this point is also a reminder to not use the arm much.

Told me another 2-3 weeks before overhead reaching/swimming/running. But cleared to hit the bike trainer, and can put weight on it.

The first time on the trainer the shoulder felt stiff, but not bad. Still trying to not put too much weight on it.

He said he used mono-filament or something in addition to the plate and screws to hold everything together. The shadows around the fracture site are the gaps in the bone that will eventually heal together.

So I'll be 4-5 weeks after surgery, assuming all goes well, before swimming or running.

(Clavicle2.0.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Clavicle2.0.jpg (88KB - 5 downloads)
2014-07-03 1:09 PM

Yeah, I had surgery 10 days post accident. Then 8 weeks in a sling post surgery, and 4 weeks of PT after I came out of the sling. So I was out of commission from a training perspective for almost 14 weeks post accident.

Best of luck in your recovery, just follow doctor and PT orders. My shoulder is probably 95-98% of what it was before the accident. I can feel something pull in there from time to time. You can also see one of the screws (if you know what you are looking for) and feel one screw through my skin...which makes for a fun party trick. Strength is back and I am probably actually stronger now thinks to some lifting. I will say that my shoulder feels best when I lift at least once a week.
2014-07-03 2:38 PM
in reply to: mstimpson

User image

Extreme Veteran
Media, PA
Wow, I guess every injury is unique. I was also quick to get surgery, 72 hours after the crash I was in the OR. Not emergency, just good timing for availability.

Thanks for the well wishes, will update if anything significant develops.
2014-07-04 9:28 AM

User image

Regular
Grand Junction, Colorado
What a drag breaking something this time of year. Do yourself a favor and look for someone in your area that is an Ortho-Bionomy Body Worker. The metal in the bone marrow can be confused by this foreign object. Start calling around & happy healing kid.

2014-07-07 7:54 PM
in reply to: The Padre

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

Originally posted by The Padre What a drag breaking something this time of year. Do yourself a favor and look for someone in your area that is an Ortho-Bionomy Body Worker. The metal in the bone marrow can be confused by this foreign object. Start calling around & happy healing kid.

As an orthopedic surgeon I have never, in 20 years of experience, seen the body "reject" or see metal as a FB.  The clavicle will heal if you put the 2 ends on the bone in the same zip code. We NEVER used to fix these. Ever.  But they designed some better plates and people like pretty xrays and would rather have a scar, a surgery and a good story than a bump.  Surgery or no surgery it takes a bone about 6-12 weeks to heal. Depends on the bone and the age of the pt.  I looked up Ortho-bionomy and as an osteopath I would say It will do you no harm but I don't think it will make you heal better or faster.  Do as you like  

2014-07-08 10:00 AM
in reply to: Socks

User image

Extreme Veteran
Media, PA
Originally posted by Socks

Originally posted by The Padre What a drag breaking something this time of year. Do yourself a favor and look for someone in your area that is an Ortho-Bionomy Body Worker. The metal in the bone marrow can be confused by this foreign object. Start calling around & happy healing kid.

As an orthopedic surgeon I have never, in 20 years of experience, seen the body "reject" or see metal as a FB.  The clavicle will heal if you put the 2 ends on the bone in the same zip code. We NEVER used to fix these. Ever.  But they designed some better plates and people like pretty xrays and would rather have a scar, a surgery and a good story than a bump.  Surgery or no surgery it takes a bone about 6-12 weeks to heal. Depends on the bone and the age of the pt.  I looked up Ortho-bionomy and as an osteopath I would say It will do you no harm but I don't think it will make you heal better or faster.  Do as you like  

I hadn't heard of any issues either with the body seeing foreign bodies this way either (though I'm not a Dr).

As to the surgery option, the ortho noted that the bone ends that while overlapping, weren't making contact with each other, and he could feel an extra piece of bone floating around. He was pretty quick to recommend surgery, though he may have known I wanted full function restored.

I'll be 50 in August, and this is my first broken bone in my life. Previously I had a bone density scan done since I'm on Dilantin, and my neuro wanted to make sure I wasn't losing density. That was about 7-8 years ago, after having been on the medication for several years. Bone density was significantly above average for males my age, even above peak for males at age 26.

So I'm not sure how that will fit in with recovery time and results. Making sure to get lots of calcium at the Orthos recommendation.

Almost 3 weeks after surgery, and I'm allowed to use the arm a little; no overhead reaching or lifting anything over about 1/2 lb. The shoulder was pretty stiff at first, but is getting better, at least in the envelope I'm allowed to move it in. I just hope I don't undo any healing that's going on.
2014-07-08 2:15 PM

User image

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL

Gotta say I'm crazy lucky.  I've been reading all kinds of stories about how people aren't able to use their arm, etc, after surgery.  For me, I broke about 1 inch off the distal end of my left clavicle.  2 days after the break, they did the surgery because I'm an athlete.  A week after the surgery I was on my trainer riding (this was with 4 broken ribs and a small 2cm pneumothroax that had to be healed with a chest tube while I was in the hospital for the surgery).  8 weeks later I was allowed to run.  11 weeks after the accident I "participated" in AG Nationals Sprint.  I was slow but I participated.  

I guess I'm crazy lucky.  I lost no mobility  and at PT the PT told me that I already had enough strength and flexibility that I didn't need to go to anymore.

I feel for you and everyone else that has/had it worse than me.

2014-07-11 8:50 PM
in reply to: Socks

User image

Regular
Grand Junction, Colorado
Originally posted by Socks

Socks….. WoW
2014-08-04 1:39 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Westchester, NY
Ow. I just had a plate put in to correct a broken clavicle.
I came off the bike on a fast descent into a tight turn. There was someone in my line going slower than me.
I decided to take an outside line, but the turn was too sharp and I came off the bike.
I crashed right into a boulder, chest first.
The clavicle broke, 16 fractured ribs.
Crash was July 5, surgery was August 1.

I'll post a pic when I get one.

2014-08-05 1:47 PM

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs

Looks like mine!

I opted for surgery because of the severity of the fracture; it broke into several pieces which almost guaranteed non union. It's been 2 years post op and I feel pretty good. I am not limited in my range of motion, and I have minimal discomfort from the plate. I can do push ups, pull ups, lift things overhead, throw a ball or a Frisbee, pretty much anything I did before. There is still loss of sensation in the skin below the incision but even that is getting better, albeit slowly.

Do the PT!!!!

2014-08-21 3:59 PM
in reply to: mrbbrad

User image

Extreme Veteran
Media, PA
I'm about 9 weeks post-op, been back on the bike about 3 weeks now, and running and swimming again. The first few days out of the sling it was a little stiff, but loosened up pretty quickly.

Went to PT this week as well to get supervised strength training, and she got 10 more degrees in just a few minutes. We'll see if that sticks next week.

So far so good, I also lost sensation below the incision, but if that's all there is long term, I'll consider myself fortunate.
2014-10-14 5:35 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Westchester, NY
Surgery this morning to remove all the hardware that holding my clavicle down.
Doc said bones looked great and in 10 days I will get my life back.
2014-10-20 10:48 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Westchester, NY
It was "hardware removal " day last Tuesday.

I had the plate holding my clavicle in place removed. Talk about range of motion !

I also had a screw in my tibia removed. Oh happy day !

I will have all my staples removed this Thursday and have my life back 4 months after my bike crash.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Broken collarbone options Rss Feed  

of 2