General Discussion Race Reports! » North Carolina Triathlon Series Race #9 - Triangle Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

North Carolina Triathlon Series Race #9 - Triangle Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Morrisville, North Carolina
United States
Set-Up, Inc.
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 19m 27s
Overall Rank = 174/552
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 25/63
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 5:30, went down to the lobby and had a bagel, bannana and some coffee. Was a little tired, sharing a hotel room with a couple of teenagers may not have been a good idea, between them making noise and my wife yelling at them to be quiet I did not get to sleep till about midnight.
Met Jeff, Chippy, Fit and Wakeman before the start, that was cool! It was nice to put some faces with the names.
Event warmup:

My usual event warmup, set up my transition area, peed about 5 times and then a short swim warmup.
Swim
  • 13m 2s
  • 820 yards
  • 01m 35s / 100 yards
Comments:

Felt like I had a good swim, my plan was to really go hard on the swim as I felt my endurance was much improved over last year. Had my usuall delusional thoughts that I was really doing well, passed a lot of the people in the earlier wave, I had visions of being top 10 out of the water. Not.
What would you do differently?:

I guess at some point at one of these races I'll just have to see how far I can push it on the swim, although I thought at this one I did.
Transition 1
  • 01m 7s
Comments:

Good T1, exactly the same time as last year. My wife did not yell at me that I was too slow so I took this as a good sign!

Try to move faster.
Bike
  • 41m 45s
  • 15 miles
  • 21.56 mile/hr
Comments:

Hills!! Eeek. I don't know why I like this bike course, I never get to train on hills so it's kinda a love/hate thing with this race. I only was passed by 3 people in my AG so I was happy with that. The last segment was the longest and toughest, long gradual hill, my legs were burning but at this point I knew I had a chance to beat last years time so I did not let up. I had a couple of close calls with some of the riders that seemed to weave a bit.

Need to spend more time on the bike.
Transition 2
  • 01m 29s
Comments:

T2 was 8 seconds slower than last year, by considering the fact that I did not hear my wife yelling at me to move my ass I took that as a good sign. Legs felt surprisingly good.

Move faster
Run
  • 22m 6s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 07s  min/mile
Comments:

I usually have a pretty good run at this race. My goal was to keep an even pace, about 7:00 minute miles so as not to die at the end. Ran by Jeff B, felt like I was having a good run till he blew by me about 50 yards later! I could not figure out if I was going slower or just sucked, luckily he was finishing and that was his finish kick.

Still need more speed on the run, need to get down to the 20's to get anywhere in my AG
Post race
Warm down:

Went back to cheer on some of the other people from Wilmington, saw Jeff and Fit again, nice people!
Drank some gatorade and had some raisin bread. What a beautifull day for a race, hung around after for awards.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Need to work on the bike and run, probably the swim too! This is a tough race, lots of very fast people show up.

Event comments:

Love this race, don't know why the swim freaks people out, at least there are no waves or jellyfish!
You could not ask for a better day in July in NC to race, the weather was beatifull!

Last updated: 2006-07-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:13:02 | 820 yards | 01m 35s / 100yards
Age Group: 23/63
Overall: 180/552
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: It's a triangular shaped course.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 82F / 28C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:07
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:41:45 | 15 miles | 21.56 mile/hr
Age Group: 28/63
Overall: 198/552
Wind: None
Course: It's sort of a cloverleaf course. Leaving is relatively flat, no place to pass on the first section as there are bikes coming and going. The other three sections are hills, the last one being the longest gradual climb.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:29
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:22:06 | 03.11 miles | 07m 07s  min/mile
Age Group: 30/63
Overall: 202/552
Course: 2 loop slightly hilly run course through the park, nicely shaded.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-07-11 7:42 AM

User image

Veteran
Wilmington, NC
Gold member
Subject: North Carolina Triathlon Series Race #9 - Triangle Triathlon

2006-07-11 12:34 PM
in reply to: #478591

User image

Master
Raleigh, North Carolina
Subject: RE: North Carolina Triathlon Series Race #9 - Triangle Triathlon

My wife did not yell at me that I was too slow so I took this as a good sign!
Its these little things that make such a big difference.  ROFL!

Great race Nick!  I had a blast out there with you on the course.  It was great to meet you in person and I'll be seeing you in Wilmington!  I can't wait.

Congrats on your finish - you're a great athlete! 

2006-07-11 1:54 PM
in reply to: #478591

User image

Extreme Veteran
Clayton/Raleigh, North Carolina
Subject: RE: North Carolina Triathlon Series Race #9 - Triangle Triathlon
Hey, great race! I had a good time out there. I love that your wife is oh-so-supportive!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » North Carolina Triathlon Series Race #9 - Triangle Triathlon Rss Feed