General Discussion Race Reports! » North Carolina Triathlon Series Race #9 - Triangle Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

North Carolina Triathlon Series Race #9 - Triangle Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Morrisville, North Carolina
United States
Set-Up, Inc.
80F / 27C
Total Time = 1h 50m 17s
Overall Rank = 187/207
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 27/33
Pre-race routine:

Toast with peanut butter for breakfast. Drove to the race site. Walked from the parking area to the race site -- if I ever again go to a tri where it is that far from the parking area to the race site then I am going to have to use a backpack to carry my stuff so I can ride my bike instead of walking it! Got transition set up, then went and got body marked and got my chip. Ate two granola bars. Waited for my swim wave (which was the very last one). Chatted with Fit and Stake who were there jockstrapping for Chippy while I waited.
Event warmup:

None really.....
Swim
  • 20m 57s
  • 820 yards
  • 02m 33s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was my first OWS at a tri. I freaked out at the beginning of the swim. I couldn't breath, I couldn't swim, nothing. I finally calmed down a bit and got through the swim. I ended up breast stroking 90% of the way though because I couldn't get in a rhythm with freestyle - I kept getting out of breath when I tried. Even with the breast stroke, my time ended up being great for me, first time I was below 3 min/100 yards.
What would you do differently?:

I have to get better at swimming. I have to swim more, improve my speed, improve my distance, get over my fear. I had practiced OWS a couple of times before the tri, but somehow in the race it was different. I was dead last in the swim in my Age Group.
Transition 1
  • 02m 40s
Comments:

I did not rush too much in the transitions. I stayed calm to make sure I didn't forget anything. Dried my feet, put on my bike shoes, helmet and camelback and I was off.

Once I get a little more comfortable in the race environment, I will need to pick up my transition times - buy some speed lacers for my shoes, start rushing a little bit.
Bike
  • 54m 56s
  • 15 miles
  • 16.38 mile/hr
Comments:

I was overall pretty happy with my bike segment. The first 3/4 mile was through the park and they had very narrow lanes marked with cones and I didn't feel comfortable passing. There was this guy in front of me messing with his pedal going about 5 mph the whole way out. That drove me crazy. I finally got around him after the cones and got going. The first couple of miles out on the road, I was still huffing and puffing from the swim but then I calmed down a bit and got into my groove. My bike computer only said 13.7 miles at the end not the 15 it was suppose to be so I'm not sure about that. I drank about 32 oounces of water and ate 2 clif bloks while on the bike which seeemed to work well for me.

I need to train for hills, but I hate hills! I need to improve my overall speed, but I am hoping that will come with time.
Transition 2
  • 02m 27s
Comments:

It was a long way that we had to run our bikes from the mount/dismount point to the transition area entrance. I did much better this tri than last at running with the bike. Got to my spot, racked the bike, switched shoes, took off my helmet, put on run number and took off.

Just hurry a little more.
Run
  • 29m 18s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

The run went pretty well. If the distance was accurate then I am super excited about my pace, first time under 10 minute mile for me! I didn't drink much, a swallow or two at each water station but didn't feel like I needed more. I was able to push a little harder at the end of the race, so I don't know if that is a good thing meaning that my training is paying off, or a bad thing meaning I didn't push myself as much on the rest of it.

Continue to work to pick up my speed!
Post race
Warm down:

Went to the bathroom - I had to go bad throughout the whole run! Got some water and an apple, walked around a bit.

Had a problem with my knees again after the race -- about an hour or two after, excruitating pain anytime I bend them, but now two days later they are already totally fine again. I hope as I get stronger this will go away.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Just training, training, training.

Overall this was a great race. I am super excited about it, and about my performance in it. My second tri, first OWS tri, I finished and felt great about it. This is the last one I have planned for the season, so I am just going to work on improving my speed and distance for next year.

Event comments:

One of the only complaints that I had about the whole race is that since I was in the very last swim wave, a lot of people were done with the race when I was just finishing the bike. As I was coming in from the bike on the park road (about 3/4 mile long), a lot of the people that had already finished were already walking out to go home. They were spread out all the way across the road walking down it where people (ME) were still trying to race!! They made no effort to get out of the way, just continued to walk all across the road. I just thought this was super disrespectful and rude. I know I am not the fastest person there, but my time is still important to me, and several times I had to come almost to a complete stop to avoid hitting these racers walking to their cars.

The other thing I am wondering about is the distances. I had PBs on every portion of this tri (including training and race times). This, in addition to the fact that at the end of the bike my bike computer only said 13.7 instead of 15, made me wonder if the distances were measured exactly accurate. If I have improved that much, that is awesome, but it seems odd to me that I would have improved that much on all three parts....

Also to note -- something rubbed my skin raw in two places on my left shoulder in the back and my right front. It is right where stuff would have rubbed, but I don't know if it was my new tri shirt or my camel back that did it. It didn't bother me during the race, just after when I went to shower, but I still want to figure out what it is to stop it from happening next time.

Last updated: 2006-06-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:20:57 | 820 yards | 02m 33s / 100yards
Age Group: 33/33
Overall: 203/207
Performance: Bad
Suit: NA
Course: Triangle shaped out and back course.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Average
Breathing: Bad Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:40
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:54:56 | 15 miles | 16.38 mile/hr
Age Group: 20/33
Overall: 169/207
Wind: Little
Course: The course was an out and back on several different streets so there was several U-turns. Very hilly course - most hilly place I've ridden so far.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Bad
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:27
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:29:18 | 03.11 miles | 09m 25s  min/mile
Age Group: 19/33
Overall: 162/207
Course: Laps through the park, just a few very small, very short hills. Plenty of water spots.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-07-11 8:01 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Clayton/Raleigh, North Carolina
Subject: North Carolina Triathlon Series Race #9 - Triangle Triathlon

2006-07-11 11:34 AM
in reply to: #478613

User image

Master
Raleigh, North Carolina
Subject: RE: North Carolina Triathlon Series Race #9 - Triangle Triathlon

Congrats on your first OWS Mandy!!!!  That's a HUGE accomplishment - especially seeing how nasty that water was.  heh heh.  You had an awesome race and I'm happy to see you cranking it out the way you did.  I think each OWS you have in the future will get easier and easier so don't sweat the breathing thing at all.  That will go away over time.  I guarantee you that the swim course was accurate in terms of distance - so your 2:33/100y is legit and incredible!  Way to crush your old times. 

I need to train for hills, but I hate hills!
  You're a woman after my own heart.  LOL!

Sorry to hear about the people out on the course.  Its very disrespectful and rude.  There's no reason they should be out there to interfere with others.

I'm so happy you did so well in this race.  Way to go.  Can't wait to see you in future races. 

2006-07-11 3:03 PM

User image

Veteran
Wilmington, NC
Gold member
Nice race! That's a tough swim for your first OWS, the lack of visibility freaks people out. They do get easier the more you do. Nice job on the rest of it also, way to PR on the run on a hilly course.
2006-07-11 8:51 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Winston-Salem, NC

Great race!! and your first OWS!! very impressive! sorry to hear about the crowd at the end of your bike; that's just rude. hopefully I can meet you at our next race!

Rock ON!

2006-07-11 11:33 PM

User image

Veteran
Charleston, SC
Aloha Amanda !!  great recovery after the swim !!  and don't you just the OWS now??  yeah, right, me too!!  Thanks for dropping by my race report back on 7/3.  I used to live in Goldsboro at SJAFB from 1990-94.  that's a nice area where you live.  we've been in hawaii going on four years.....unfortunetly, i'm due for orders, so more than likely we'll be moving this fall back that way.  enjoy the rest of the NC summer, and way to go this past w/e.  take care of your knee. 

Edited by per6594 2006-07-11 11:36 PM
2006-07-12 6:40 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
northeast Ohio

Nice job on your race!  Sounds like you all had a really fun day.  Must be fun getting to meet other BT'ers too!

Diane

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » North Carolina Triathlon Series Race #9 - Triangle Triathlon Rss Feed