Total Body Fitness
100F / 38C
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 24m 43s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 3:00 am (not kidding), and gathered our stuff and drove to the race. We got there around 6:45, checked in and set up our stuff.

I showed up thinking I'd likely set a PR this race.

It was already hot when I started putting on my wetsuit. It would only get hotter as the day went on.
Event warmup:

I just swam around in the lake for about 5 minutes before the swim start.
Swim
  • 44h 18m
  • 1640 yards
  • 2h 42m 02s / 100 yards
Comments:

I felt solid through most of the swim, and even felt fast a couple of times.

I had a little trouble with sighting, but nothing serious. My new goggles were a bit tight and I started to get a headache about halfway through. But my swim cap stayed on. I wore my fabric cap underneath the latex cap they gave us.
What would you do differently?:

Train the swim? I really need to work on my stroke and my strength.
Transition 1
  • 04m 55s
Comments:

Eh... I had trouble getting my suit off, but not as bad as it has been in the past. I was a little wobbly but, again, not as bad as it has been in the past.

I need to lose weight so my wetsuit isn't quite so tight.
Bike
  • 1h 43m 9s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 14.45 mile/hr
Comments:

I was pushing hard and had to reel myself in a couple of times. I felt like I wanted to quit the entire time, so that makes me think I was pushing at race pace the whole way. I passed two women, which I'm happy about.

I managed to get over the railroad tracks twice without flatting my tire. I didn't eat at all while I was out there. I just didn't feel like I needed to. I did drink my entire 1+ liter of Karen-ade though. Sucked that Camelbak dry! Coasted back into T2 thirsty.

It was hot out there. And my pace started slipping as I went along. Only by about 30 seconds per 5 miles, but still. I started to wonder if I would actually PR, but I thought "Certainly I can run faster than I did last time, so that's still an over-all PR, even if I don't PR on the bike course."

I'm happy. I've been training the bike, and although I still have a long way to go, I think I raced well.
Transition 2
  • 02m 13s
Comments:

It was hot and I was tired, and I really did not want to run. I pushed myself to get out of T2 as quickly as I could, but I'm sure I could have been faster.

Not be so tired and hot?
Run
  • 1h 50m
  • 6.21 miles
  • 17m 43s  min/mile
Comments:

OK, so within about 3 minutes on the run I went from "I'm going to PR on this race!" to "I hope I finish this race."

HOT isn't a strong enough word. Blazing Hot. Rediculously hot. Hellish. None of these come close.

I started out running my regular pace. And then dropped back some. And then some more. Within about 5 minutes, I was at a snail's pace and my HR was way above my LT (178+). I saw Eric coming back at about 3/4 mile and he was walking. I started walking to meet him and I felt a little better. I decided that I would do a 4 min run/1 min walk and see how that worked.

At the first aid station, I stood in the shade for about 2 minutes and poured water on my head. I drank about 5 glasses too. Then I started off again, holding the 4/1 thing to the next aid station. Well, there was the potty break at mile 1 1/2.

At the second aid station, I again stoon in the shade for about 2 minutes, then I poured ICE in my hat, in my bra, and in my shorts. I have to say, that is probably what saved me. When I started off again, my HR stayed below my LT, and I was able to get into Z2 on each of the walk breaks. Phew. I might actually finish this. I took a cup of ice to carry with me until I could return to this stop again. I shared some ice with Shellee along the way, but mostly sucked on the cold water or kept a cube under my tongue. I rattled and clattered like a cooler the whole time, from all the ice in my bra top.

When I looped around to the second aid station again, I did the same, and took a bottle of ice cold water to carry back with me. When I hit the first aid station again, that water was all gone -- poured over my head and neck, and sipped up.

I stood and rested at the last aid station again, and then just carted myself back in. It took forever, but at least I finished and didn't have to be taken out in an ambulance (3 people were).

Extremem heat training?
Post race
Warm down:

Walked down to the beach and immersed myself in the water.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

the heat

Last updated: 2006-07-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
44:18:00 | 1640 yards | 2h 42m 02s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit: QR full suit
Course: Just a big loop around the lake.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:55
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:43:09 | 24.85 miles | 14.45 mile/hr
Performance: Good
avg HR 171
Wind: Headwind
Course: It's the same old out and back, with small rollers. All exposed to the sun. Traffic wasn't nearly as bad as it has been at previous races.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Average Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:13
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
01:50:00 | 06.21 miles | 17m 43s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
avg HR 165*
Course: a kind of out and back on a combination of dusty fire road, gravel, pavement, and singletrack. Completely exposed with no shade.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-07-11 5:49 PM

User image

Champion
Beautiful Sonoma County
Subject: Tri for Real #2

2006-07-11 6:08 PM
in reply to: #479526

User image

Master
Virginia Beach, VA
Subject: RE: Tri for Real #2
Wow, congrats on finishing that hot, HOT race! 100 degrees???? I would have melted into the pavement.
2006-07-11 9:53 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Wow...great race in very hard conditions!

100+ on the run....wow..you were smart with the ice and keeping cool. I think your camelback helped a lot in keeping you hydrated and you brought that into your run.

Congrats!

2006-07-12 10:12 AM

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA

Reading your RR brings back how dang hot it really was.  Dying hot.

I think we both PR'ed for a heat sauna race.

That lake felt sooo good afterwards...

PS - Thanks for the ice tips at mile 3 - they saved me.

2006-07-12 10:46 AM

User image

Expert
Congratulations on getting to the finish line in those extreme conditions. I'm kind of jealous that you ladies have a top to stuff full of ice. I'm going to have to get me one of those ice neck wrap thingies or something. Sounds like you improvised out on the course and found some solutions that worked. And it sounds like you were pushing the pace. It's all relative to your own 100% and sounds like you were at 95%+! Good job!

Mike
2006-07-13 10:56 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bay Area, CA
Nice job on finishing , and managing to keep somewhat cool, if that was even possible last weekend...

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri for Real #2 Rss Feed