BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Swimmer's Group (Olympic Distance Animals) - OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 11

2013-05-02 10:37 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Mount Joy
Subject: Swimmer's Group (Olympic Distance Animals) - OPEN

WHEN CAN YOU START MENTORING CONSISTENTLY: RIGHT NOW

GROUP FOCUS: Olympic/Intermediate Distance

NAME: swimmer04/ Jason  

STORY: What interesting things could I put in here....I'm 25 years old and recently married in June of 2012. I am from Mount Jot, Pa and own 2 pitbulls who are the best dogs ever (they know how to suffer with me on my runs)! I've been doing triathlons for 5 years and got into them when I finished up my college swimming career. Been a competitve swimming since I was 6 years old and swam year round all through college and was also a swim coach for 4 years at two different clubs. I'm a triathlon junkie in the form that I read a lot of articles and retain a lot of information. Most of my training has been trial and error and over the past 2 years I have really pin pointed a great routine to reach peak performance. Outside of triathlons I also am a bike racer and have really found my cycling legs over the past year which have absolutely helped my tri's. I definitely excel in swimming and biking as one of the top overall athletes in each discipline at races. I'm on the boards daily and just love meeting new people and am easy to talk to and like to crack a lot of jokes.....you can't be serious all the time. If you want to have fun and suffer this is the place to be!!

FAMILY STATUS: Married w/ no kids, but 2 Pitbulls (Ava & Trigger)

CURRENT TRAINING: Last year and this year I have and will be focusing on Olympic Distance racing. My weekly training is typically 2 swims, 4 bikes and 3 runs and are pre-planned and very thought out. I can be pretty technical in my training when it comes to specific workouts that I love to do to test myself to the limits and get better. My training has been right where I want it so far this season as I have been putting in roughly 11-13 hours a week of SBR. I have already raced once this year in a local Sprint and placed 2nd Overall. I push the swim and bike and try to hold on for the run. Play to your strengths.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: 2012 was a great season for me. Although I got married and didn't do as many races as I would have liked here are my results for the year...

Got the Nerve Triathlon: 2nd Overall, Bald Bear Triathlon: 3rd Overall, Tri the Wildwoods: 1st Overall, Keystone State Triathlon: 1st Overall, Blueman Duathlon: 8th Overall.

2013 RACES:  For the 2013 Season my goal is to qualify for HY-Vee US Championship throught the 5150 series and have a top 15 overall placing. Tentative Schedule looks like this...

Columbia 5150 Triathlon, Hempfield Sprint Tri, New Jersey State Tri (Olympic), Steelman Tri (Olympic), Tri the Wildwoods, Hy-Vee Championship, Rev3 Half-Full Olympic Tri 

WEIGHTLOSS: I don't particularly have any weight loss goals aside from getting down to my race weight come that time. But I am more than happy to help others who are looking for weight loss tips.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: I am very knowledgable about the sport and have such a great passion for it as well. I know with my expertise in swimming and background in biking that I will be able to help guide anyone who is looking to either get more information about triathlon or even those who are trying to improve. I am a very visual person and try to give as much detail as possible and I and very open to any questions or comments. There is never a dumb question...Throughout the 3 months I will try to regularly post workouts to help those who dont have a lot of direction and especially don't have the money for a coach or someone who can write everything for them. I know this sport takes time and patience, but at the end of the day it is truely about having fun and seeing how far we can push ourselves and accomplish our goals.

2013-05-02 10:53 AM
in reply to: #4724002

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas
Subject: RE: Swimmer's Group (Olympic Distance Animals) - OPEN

Hi,

I'm focusing on the Oly distance for most of the season (first full season in a loooong time), with a possible HIM at the end of the season if and only if I feel great.  Otherwise, it's all about the Oly distance (as my A-races, anyway - will still do sprints, as they're too much fun!) at least through most of the season.

A-race Oly is July 21, so just gearing up for the 12-week lead up now!  Would love to join (I'm also officially lurking in the HIM group to learn more as I go) and will post a bio later today (work keeps getting in the way of the important stuff).

I guess I should have asked first if it's OK to join in the staging area!!  Surprised

Matt

2013-05-02 11:58 AM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Just in case it's OK to join here (if not, disregard).  Smile

I admit that below I am using most of the bio I just posted on another group, but it's updated!

Name: Matt McManus

Story: I'm the somewhat typical 44 year old (but just aged up a group this year - youngest guy in the 45-49... good thing this new AG is not that fast) who is getting back into tris and loving it.  I did my first in the early 90's and couple through the mid-90's, then went on to mostly just running to stay in I'm-not-dead-yet shape (well, I ran a bunch races through the late 90's but it was easier to be "fast enough" back then on those young legs).  Bought a bike almost exactly a year ago (4/10/12) after a year of hectoring by a colleague at work and just jumped back in to longer and more intense workouts through the spring.  Started riding longer and harder, and also running longer and harder and did the first couple of races (5k's) in a loooong time with my wife (and kids - mile races).  Bought new bikes for everyone (kids because they grow like weeds - they're now 8, 10, 12 - and Kim because she really needed one).  Happy times.

Then one day, I hopped back in the ocean while down at the beach in the early summer and decided to go for a long swim.  Hmmmmmmm...... Well, after a few drinks a night not long thereafter I said to Kim (aforementioned wife - and partner in crime wrt exercise) that I might as well do a tri again as I'm kind of doing all three s/b/r for fun anyway.  That was it - couldn't wait to get started and pin a number on chest!

So, I registered for a local sprint (Dover-Sherborne) that some friends from Sherborne were doing about 8 weeks prior to it (and started the 8 week Time Crunched Tri program).  Kim raised an eyebrow and, after a few drinks a night not long thereafter, said to me that she might as well do a tri, too, as she was working out all the time and it might be fun (if scary).  Boom.

We both also registered for the Mayflower Sprint in Plymouth (you get to swim along side the Mayflower - how cool is THAT?).  That was a great race for us, and D-S was even more fun.

Over the winter, I've been more run focused (a couple HMs, some 5k's, a 10k and few of each coming up in the next month), and Kim is back on with the run now, too, after some shin splints knocked her out of the fall HM in November.  Not sure if she'll do a tri this year (despite having been a HS swimmer, she doesn't like the swim, and despite being QOM on a bunch of Strava segments, the bike still freaks her out a bit when she goes faaaaaast.... and she goes fast).  Smile  We both just PR'd a 10k last weekend which was a blast.

I am very excited about being back in the tribe, although it's like a new sport compared to back when(and in pretty much all good ways).  While many are focused on just tri's, we tend to do a lot of single sport races (at least the last year) as well.  It's been a bit of a struggle trying to peak for an open race while still doing the other two disciplines, but there are many folks here (and in the tri community) that do the same, so these boards have been helpful with that.

We just moved back to Boston (Concord, in the 'burbs, actuall) a couple years ago after having moved around the Northeast and to Cleveland (twice - no, really).  Happy to be home, but SICK of winter this year (for the first time - usually love it, but I've been more interested in running and biking than skiing this year - another first!).  UPDATE - the last 2 days, it's been Spring!  Awesome...

What else...  Work, I guess.  I'm in biotech (longer story there than I'll put down here!), so Boston is a great place.  Family is in Mass, as well, so another bonus (mostly).  Wink 

Family Status: Married to Kim (very happily!) with three terrific kids.  Two dogs - a yellow and chocolate lab.  A bazillion fish, hamsters, frogs, etc. - the kids like pets (OK - so do the parents).

Current Training: Um, lots, for me.  Not so much compared to long course folks!  I'm in an odd spot, as I just finished my spring A race (an open 10k) and now have 11.3 weeks until my summer A-race (Nantucket Oly on July 21).  Trying to figure out how to train for an Oly, or two, and then possibly work that up to a HIM in the fall. This is why I'm so interested in this group!!

2012 Races: Mayflower Sprint 9/1/12 (got a third place medal in AG, but official results had one "Johnny Appleseed" taking first - not sure what that was, but I was WAY happy with the result).  DoverSherborne Sprint 9/16/12 (4th or 5th in AG - again very happy with that).  Katie's HM 11/4/12 in 1:43:20ish (PR for me!). 

2013 Races: Hyannis HM end of February (1:41:30 ish - a PR in some NASTY weather).  Plymouth 5k 3/16 in ~21' (PR).  JB Blastoff 5k (20:35 a PR and felt great).  James Joyce 10k on 4/28 (42:40 official - PR by many minutes). Great Bear 5k on 5/5. Boston HM on 5/26 (pacing Kim). Emerson 5k on 6/1. Possibly Catskills Grand Fondo 6/2.  Harpoon b2b 6/15.  Dad's Day 5 miler in Shaker Heights OH 6/16. Falmouth Sprint 7/13.  Nantucket Oly 7/21.  Then it's less certain.  Maybe: Marsh Madness Sprint 7/28.  Sharon Sprint 8/11.  Cranberry Oly 8/25.  Probably: Mayflower Sprint 8/31. DS Boosters Sprint 9/15.  MAYBE a HIM in the fall in place of one of these or a bit later IF I'm feeling awesome (but might wait until next season - just don't know how to structure and pace a season yet

Weightloss: Sure!  Sounds good.  I went from high 180's to high 150's (so, if math is right, about 30 pounds in a year) and am not really looking to drop more (I'm about 5'8"+).  Truth is, I didn't focus on weight - just working out and eating right (which includes ice cream and IPAs - at least now and again - for me).  Maybe another 3-4 pounds, but only if it happens...  Curious what it will be like to race at a lighter weight (current weight, that is) for the bike!

What will make me a good member:  I'm very much interested in s/b/r.  I can get a bit analytical at times, but also just love the "feel" of the sport, so I tend to be an active contributor and have a positive outlook on the whole thing (sometimes my desire to have fun conflicts with my desire to go fast, which is when I stop thinking and just move!).  I hope that the questions I post up will also be of value, but time will tell!  Looking forward to learning more about the Oly distance and figuring out to mesh that with a possible HIM bid late Fall.  We'll see!

Best, 

Matt

2013-05-03 1:26 PM
in reply to: #4724226

User image

Extreme Veteran
Mount Joy
Matt welcome! Sounds like you have a busy life but you and your wife manage it well! There will be some other mentees joining from my group over the winter and they can attest to what am I about to say...I try to make this group fun and like a lot of interaction. Don't be afraid to ask ANY question and I will certainly give you my best answer. I keep a blog so make sure to check it out. It is always updated with race reports and other things that cross my mind. This group will be filled with fun since now is the time for race season!
2013-05-03 7:48 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

I'm VERY psyched for this race season, so I'm IN!

First Oly ever is July 21, and I'm already getting pumped.  My big concern is figuring out how to train for it!  I've never done an Oly, just sprints in the distant past and 2 sprints last September.

I used the Time Crunched Tri plan (advanced, 8 week) for those, training through the first and the second as my "A" race.  A lot of intensity, but too many days off, it seemed.  Smile  So, now I'm trying to figure how to add volume and arrange a race season.  I have 11 weeks and 2 days until the race, so it's getting important to figure it out.

I think I'm likely approaching it with perhaps too much intensity in the skedj, but I'm shooting for basically the Hal Higdon 10k run plan (less one or two of the short easy runs in favor of other workouts), 3-4 bikes a week with a couple sufferfests, 3 swims a week (long, medium plus some speed, and one that's almost all speed).

Not sure if that makes sense, but I suppose I'll find out!  Hopefully, it comes together (I might lift some from the TCT plan for the bike).

Looking forward to the group!

Matt 

2013-05-04 7:01 AM

New user
Edgewood, KY

Name :  Greg Schings

Story:  Still fat, but I was fatter...  I don't have a image problem but losing weight will definitely make me more competitive.  I was 240+lbs, I'm down to 209 on a 5'8" medium frame.  I really enjoy the Sprints and want to do a Olympic this year.   Two great kids, almost 2yr old girl and a 5yr old.  A great wife who does not understand my obsession with this but supports me blindly in every dumb idea I have, and I have lots of them....   I have competed in 5 sprint tri's and always at the bottom of my age group.  (42yrs old)...   I want to finish in the top third by the end of this season....

Current Training:  2-3 swims per week.  3 days running.   2-3 days bike.   7hrs per week total but increasing to 11 hours by the end of May.

Planned Races for 2013:    Cincinnati Triathlon, TinManTri in Topeka, KS,  Lame Duck in Georgetown, Ky,  TriforJoe in Cincinnati, Markey Cancer Tri in Lexington.

I would really like to be in this group.   Finishing feels great, but I want a medal around my neck!

Thanks! 

2013-05-04 7:04 AM

New user
Edgewood, KY
Geez... That reads terrible.  Sorry.  Kids climbing all over me this morning...  Waffle time!
2013-05-04 3:22 PM

New user
Edgewood, KY
Quiet in here...  I guess everyone is training. Cool I mountain biked for 1.5 hours.  Went pretty slow, I have a Time trials bike race Sunday morning.   After the race, I plan on a swim and some strength training.  Later...
2013-05-04 4:44 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Took today off (lots of good family stuff) as we have a 5k (and kids' one miler) tomorrow morning.  Going to ride home from race after, so will get about 5mi run with good intensity and then a long bike.

It is quiet - but it's so nice out in these parts, how could it not be!

Matt

2013-05-04 8:29 PM

Bartlett, TN

Hey Jason,

I'm back for some more support.  Your mentoring plans and objectives and advice during the last mentoring sessions have been great.  Below is my bio for new members benefit:

Name:  David

Story: Did an olympic and smaller triathlons and ran mainly 5k's before kid's activities took over (about 25 years ago).  My daughter (age 23) decided this past June that she wanted to tri so I decided to join her as a means of support in training and race day.  She is my training partner when our work schedules line up.  We started training in June and did a sprint 3 weeks and 4 weeks after as well as another a little later as we worked to our main sprint race the middle of October (600yds/16miles/3miles).  When we started I thought no way that I'd train for the Olympic but I'd support her; she has no respect for her elders and is making me do the Olympic.  During this time period, I changed out my bike from by mid-1980's Raleigh Marathon heavy steel bike for a very nice used carbon bike.  My swimming and running are okay (increased running from December thru February) and my biking is bad but I think it has improved using the trainer over the winter.

I'm 53 years old and have been fairly active but used basketball and racquetball and some tennis and weights as training with running added in when I couldn't make other activities during the week.  I started the 20-week BT 3xOlympic training program at the beginning of January for the May 19 Memphis-in-May Olympic on May 19.  I've been pretty close with the plan but have missed a few sessions and never have reached the numbers I should for the bike.

2012 Races: 3 sprints and one super-sprint plus some 5k runs

2013 Races: One 5k and a sprint so far with Memphis-In-May Olympic (May 19); will do some sprints during the summer and maybe go for the same October sprint we did last year.  Not sure if I'll do another Olympic or not...need to run down the schedules soon.

Weightloss:  Didn't officially weigh in when we started the additional training last June and lost more weight once I locked in on the 20-week Olympic plan and paid attention to my food for a while.  Guessing I've lost 25 pounds or more.  Probably started at around 212 to 217 and I'm now about 185 or so at just under 6' I could lose a little more if I wanted to get competitive.

Family: married with 2 grown kids.  Wife thinks knows I'm nuts.  Daughter trains with me and is fast especially with no biking or swimming prior to our start; reminds me of me 30 years ago but even more competitive for her age group...  Son lifts weights but not much on endurance sports.

2013-05-04 8:52 PM

Bartlett, TN

Battled some type of bug the last couple of days that kept me guessing whether I was well or not.  Training was terrible so probably should have rested but am anxious to get my final big week in before my May 19 Olympic so I managed some poor miles on the trainer and running.  Today's swim and 45-minute run felt great.

Jason--What do you do over the next two weeks as a taper for your Olympic (relative; taking into account frequency, duration, and intesity)?  I've read that the goal is to lower the fatigue that has built up over the span of the training program while not losing too much fitness which should lead to improved performance.  I know the proper plan depends on the individual's body and level of fitness as well as the length of the race.

I will be out of town on business from Saturday through Thursday during the week that leads up to my Olympic on the following Sunday so swimming may be out most of that final week with biking limited to whatever the hotel has to offer.

David

Edited by Day-Day 2013-05-04 8:53 PM

2013-05-04 10:48 PM
in reply to: #4727595

User image

Extreme Veteran
Mount Joy
Greg welcome! David good to see you back for more. For taper you want to decrease volume but maintain intensity. I tend to back off my runs more than the others because they put more pounding on the body. My intensity efforts are generally short. Just enough to keep legs and body in check and awake. My runs 2 weeks out are no longer than 45 minutes and the week of 20-30 minutes. Tomorrow I can post a more detailed descriptionToday was gorgeous but wife had Mr doing yard work. Tomorrow is a nice 1.5 hour ride followed by 45 minutes run. Then it all starts to drop for taper time!
2013-05-05 5:42 PM

New user
Edgewood, KY

Finished my first bike time trial.  Cold and rain.    Not a great ride.   Tomorrow will be 40 minute cross country run....     

2013-05-06 11:58 AM
in reply to: #4728193

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas
gregso71 - 2013-05-05 6:42 PM

Finished my first bike time trial.  Cold and rain.    Not a great ride.   Tomorrow will be 40 minute cross country run....     

Cold rain on the bike is grim - but if you're out riding in it, you're officially badazz (I forget which rule that is, but it's a RULE).

Not a great ride because the conditions were terrible, or did you not ride as well as you'd hoped?

Matt

2013-05-06 12:03 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Apologies up front for copying a post I wrote in another group verbatim , but it's just so well written...  Tongue out

<begin lazy-azz cut and paste here>

Weekend report:

Did a local 5k (Great Bear Run in Needham - terrific event and we used to live in Needham) yesterday that Kim and were "training through," but at which the kids all ran the mile race and wanted to PR.

Long and short, PR's for everyone!  Laughing  Kim beat my time from last year, placed 3rd in her AG and beat her PR from a few weeks ago.  I beat my 5k PR from a few weeks ago, too (20:21 official, I think - they're s-l-o-w getting the results online), by about 5 seconds per mile, placed 29th/600+ OA and 6th in my AG (the 40-44 group is just silly fast!).  The kids all hit or exceeded their mile targets (Kim and I paced two of the three, and our oldest just got after it on his own!) and got PR's!

On top of all that, we saw old friends and got to mill about in the sun on a gorgeous day! Wow, talk about good times and happy feelings (and a much appreciated gin and diet tonic with lime in the evening).  Wink

After the race, I hopped on the bike to ride home from the race and felt good enough that I just kept turning away from home and extending.  Did about 25 miles in ~70', average power of 234 and weighted average of 243 (please see my other post asking about which power folks use and why).  Not killing myself on it, but going along pretty hard - felt just terrific!

So, not a "big" weekend, but a high quality one with the family (and racing!).

Matt

2013-05-06 12:11 PM

User image

East of the Rockies

NAME: hwkirby/Howard  

STORY: I'm baaaack!  Looking forward to increasing my knowledge and skill in the Triathlon world! I am 49 years old and have been training just under a year and a half. Been a real steep learning curve! My strongest discipline is the bike then the run and finally the swim, and no where near being competitive in any, but do my best. Really enjoy this forum as I have been learning tons and Jason is a big help!   

FAMILY STATUS: Married with two "kids" (22 and 25 years)!

CURRENT TRAINING: Did my first Sprint distance last August and am currently training for my first Olympic distance race this August, with a couple of Sprints in between to fill the gap!

2013 RACES: May 19 - Try this Tri (Sprint)- Genesis Place (where I train) Airdrie AB

July 14 - Heart of the Rockies (Sprint)- Invermere, BC

August 11 - Lake Chaparral (Olympic)- Calgary, AB 

WEIGHTLOSS: Still need to lose another 10lbs minimum and preferably 15-20lbs. The Triathlon was my way of needing to lose weight and I needed a goal as to how to get there! The first 15 came off not to bad but certainly struggling to get rid of the remaining unwanted weight 

2013-05-06 12:26 PM

User image

East of the Rockies
So I had a little "victory" this past Thursday! I swam my 12 lengths (25m) for my warm-up and felt really good so thought I would just keep going and see if I could complete 30 lengths without stopping. The 30 lengths then would be my 750 metres for my May 19th Sprint distance race, which is in a pool. So not only was I able to do it, a first for me, but I did it in just over 14 minutes! Not bad for a non-swiming old guy I figure! In fact I did an extra lap just in case I double tapped my lap counter! haha Worked on the bike yesterday getting it all spit and polished for race day! It was actually pretty filthy and I should have been on it long before now! We finally had some REALLY nice weather up here! We managed to hit 25+ degrees celcius both days (that's 77 F for my Southern buddies!) Looking forward to being outside to get in some decent long distance training sessions!        Howard
2013-05-06 2:58 PM
in reply to: #4729446

User image

Extreme Veteran
Mount Joy

Matt, your weighted average or also called Normalized power is basically an estimate of the power output that could have been maintained if your power output had been constant. Think of criterium racing where you are constantly on the gas and off the gas. This is physically more demanding than riding at a constant pace. Either can be used. Curious what form of powermeter are you using? And what is your FTP? I've never trained or raced with power, but just recently purchased a PowerTap for training. I still prefer to race by feel and not hinder performance by getting lost in the numbers during a race.

Howard, no doubt in my mind you will be ready for your race!

For me it is TAPER TIME!!!! Just looking at my training schedule for the next 2 weeks leading up to Columbia is relaxing in it self.

2013-05-06 7:57 PM

Bartlett, TN

Matt--Sounds like a great weekend with some good training to boot.

Howard--your swim time is pretty quick.  You will be fine for the sprint and for the Olympic later on.  I still don't know how hard to push on the long swims.

Jason--my race date is the same as yours.  Taper week #1 gives me a weird feeling.  I cut back to 2300 yards on the swim today and ran for 37 minutes immediately afterwards with a little increase in effort during the later section of the run; all felt great.  I'm hoping the schedule and weather will match up tomorrow for a bike ride and short run brick.

2013-05-06 8:43 PM
in reply to: #4730351

User image

Extreme Veteran
Mount Joy
David- the biggest thing is you have to trust your training leading up to your taper. Stay to the schedule and don't try and add in any extra hard training days because you feel it will help, it wont and you wont gain any extra fitness at this point. I've been consistently training 11-13 hours a week for the past 20 weeks. This week I plan to back down to 8 hours and 5.5 hours next week. My volume is decreasing, but I add in some short speed intervals to keep my fitness up. Get as much rest as possible and above all watch what you eat! It is very easy to put on 5 lbs during taper because you tend to eat like you did while you were doing the long training weeks. 
2013-05-06 9:50 PM

User image

Little Harbour

Hope fully there is still room.

Name: Jeremy Foote

I am on the east coast of Canada in a province called Nova Scotia.  Currently training for Olympic distance.  I have never done a TRi before but I have been involved in a lot of running events.  I have always wanted to do a TRi since watching the Kona Ironman when I was young.  My goal is a Iron distance maybe next year.  We do have one here in Nova Scotia called EPIC Dartmouth.  www.epicdartmouth.com.

Today actually I did 800m in the pool in 35 minutes with rests so my speed and distance is improving.  Anyway hope you'l have me.

Also I am married with 2 children 3 and 5.  I am a Paramedic for the province of Nova Scotia.

2013-05-07 6:16 AM
in reply to: #4730494

User image

Extreme Veteran
Mount Joy
Jeremy, Welcome! Hope you enjoy the group.
2013-05-07 12:40 PM

User image

Hello... Any women allowed in? I loved Matt's format, so I am shamelessly stealing it to tell you all about me.

Name: Irene F.

Background: I am 31 years old and always loved running, swimming, and biking. I recently decided to combine the three and try out the sport of triathlons. I completed my first triathlon - a super-sprint distance - on May 5 (two days ago now). I loved every minute and have my sights set on a Olympic distance in August. I come from a swimming background - swam competitively for a number of years, with my stroke of choice being butterfly. I have done the Bluenose Hlaf Marathon in Halfixa, Nova Scotia. I currently live on the Alberta Prairies - yay for mostly flat road biking. I work full time in health care - post neuro rehab as a speech therapist. I have a colleague who has lots of triathlon expreience, but I get tired of bugging him, so here I am, bugging you (if you'll have me).

Family Status: I am married to my husband who cheers me on and we have a 4.5 month puppy (yikes) - a mix between a collie and a Bernese Mountain Dog - and a flat-coat retriever. The flat coat is about 90 pounds and the puppy will be close to taht weight fully grown. They are both great running partners. No children.

Current Training: I am follwoing the Your First Triathlon plan from Joe Friel (sp?) which is a 12 week plan. It officially starts May 27 and has me doing something 7 days a week if I do the optional strength training. I am unsure if I will be able to keep up and would rather not drop down to the Sprint.. But if I have to, I will. There is always another time to try the Oly distance, right? I am just working on running right now as I have really fell back on my running mileage. I am also swimming some evenings and mornings and biking on Saturdays when the wind isn't too bad. I take a yoga class as well as a ballet class for strength and stretching.

2013 Races: I just finished a super sprint on May 5. Without training I finished in 52 minutes and 13 seconds. It was a pool swim. I was super pleased with my finish. I have my sights on an olympic distance with a pool swim on August 17 (I think). And those are my only races that involved swimming, biking, and running. I did a 10 km run in March and was happy to finish. I have ongoing foot issues with a Morton's Neuroma in my left foot and it keeps my mileage down on my feet unfortuantely.

Weightloss: From August of 2012 to now I have lost 40-ish pounds. I set my sights on 50 to 60 pounds. I am sure it will happen when I look at the training schedule (kind of sdcary!!). I just have to dig deep and pull it out of somewhere.

What will make me a good member:  I try to check in frequently, but I am not the best at logging my workouts as my life gets busy often.  I used the mentors before in January until April to help me prepare for the super sprint and I found the advice really helpful. I did not always post, but I always read. Our mentor posted weekly challenges and when the Canadian winter allowed, I tried to complete them. Biking here gets a bit dicey before April. I will vow to try to be less of a creeper and log my workouts often. I ask way too many questions for my own good.

Thanks for your time!
Irene

2013-05-07 1:02 PM
in reply to: #4731443

User image

Extreme Veteran
Mount Joy
Irene, welcome to the group and congrats on completing your first tri!!! I know we all remember the first one like it was yesterday! My advice since you are just starting out is don't dive from the high board in your first attempt, also meaning be cautious of training 7 days a week since you are just starting out. You could risk burning out very quickly. I've been racing tri's for 5 years now and just started training 7 days a week this season, but even with that said I still occasionally take a day off here and there to fully rest the body. I don't go hard all 7 days and some of those days are for active recovery, but with just starting out it can be a lot! Ease into it and have fun, no doubt you can be ready for an Oly with 5 days/week training.
2013-05-07 1:52 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Well, with now less than 11 weeks to my first Oly and my A race for the first half of the season, I'm officially on a plan (that I will officially deviate from judiciously!).  I decided to try (most of) Friel's Your Best Triathlon Oly plan.

It's both fairly high volume (for me) and with decent intensity (less than Time Crunched, but more than just s/b/running around for long times), so should be a good fit as I like intensity - and a plan helps me manage it down a notch.  The problem might be that the volume/time committment will be difficult to manage over the next 2 months (lots going on at work at the moment), so it might end up as "Your Really Good Triathlon" training plan.

Today was a track session (4x800 with a big hill thrown in on the way to the track), then a skill/anearobic set/aerobic set at the pool.  Later today will be a 60+' recovery ride - too nice not to do the "optional" workout!

Anyway, will keep you posted on how the plan goes and what I do to alter it.  This is my first full season of tri in nearly 2 decades, and my first bid for an Oly, so figuring out the training is my biggest challenge - at least I enjoy it!

Matt

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Swimmer's Group (Olympic Distance Animals) - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 11