BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guy/Girls Tri--Masters Sprint/Olympic Mentor Group CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 37

2013-05-02 1:19 PM

User image

Regular
East Wenatchee, Washington
Subject: Gray Guy/Girls Tri--Masters Sprint/Olympic Mentor Group CLOSED

GROUP FOCUS: Master's Athletes age 45+, Sprint/Olympic Distance and Duathlon

NAME: lutzman (BT screenname)  / Steve Lutz  

STORY: I'm a long term distance runner who jumped into Triathlon a few years ago.  Like many older athletes, I found the constant pounding of marathon (run only) distance training to be increasingly injury plagued. I switched to multi-sport to broaden my fitness base and hopefully reduce the running related injuries.

The challenge I find is that most training programs seem suited to the type of training levels/recovery I could sustain in my 20's and 30's.  It's just not the same once you cross that magical age 50+ line.  While the competitive fire burns bright, times get slower, the legs often feel heavier, weight inevitably creeps up and recovery times are longer.   To me, a mentor program really focused on older athletes (boomers) would be really valuable to a lot of folks like me.    

I've had a great ride as a distance runner, qualifying and completing the Boston Marathon three times, Chicago Marathon three times, New York marathon as well as marathons in Atlanta, Seattle and many other smaller races.  Running is great, but multi-sport is an entirely different set of challenges.  

Since getting going in Triathlon, I've completed 19 triathlons and earned Age Group All American Honorable Mention (top 10% nationally) ranking in 2012. 

FAMILY STATUS: Happily married 31 years with three sons, all grown. 

CURRENT TRAINING: I generally train between 9-12 hours per week.  This typically includes 3-4 training sessions per sport with one or two additional sets in the gym focused on weight training (very important for older athletes due to declining muscle mass).  In addition, I'm working with a swim coach two days a week (half hour sessions) to focus on technique, interval times and swim workout planning.

2012 Races--Desert Triathlon (6th AG), Hits Napa Olympic (1st AG), Hits Mable Falls Olympic (1st AG), Moses Lake Sprint (1st AG), Family Fitness Olympic (2nd AG), Five Mile Lake Sprint (2nd AG), ChelanMan Olympic (2nd AG), USAT Age Group Nationals (59th AG), Kirkland Sprint (2nd AG), Hits Palm Springs (1st AG, 12th overall

THIS YEAR'S RACES: So far this year I've done the Lavaman Waikoloa (6th AG), the ITU San Diego Olympic (6th AG), Apple Capital Duathlon (1st AG) and the USAT Duathlon Long Course National Championship (3rd AG). 

2013 RACES:  Plans for the balance of the year include the Family Fitness Olympic, Five Mile Lake Sprint, ChelanMan Olympic, USAT Age Group Nationals Olympic, Duathlon Standard Distance Age Group Nationals and the Hits Palm Springs Olympic

WEIGHTLOSS: Triathlon has really helped my weight. Being a runner, I was never heavy, but the full body workouts have helped me drop some extra weight that had been stuck with me for awhile.  When I was a decent runner (age 25-35) and could run a mid-30's 10K, my weight was about 152.  I gained over the next 20 years and was sitting at about 170.  That's not too bad since I'm 5'10", but I'm now down to about 159, which is a very good weight for me for endurance sports.  

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: I'm a student of everything I do.  So, I've got a swim coach working with me on form.  I've consistently had a triathlon coach helping me with workout and program design.  And since my work life focuses on statistics, I'm pretty analytical.  I've had good success in a short amount of time in triathlon and I would like to continue to learn from others but also share what I've learned from 30+ years of endurance sport training....while focusing on how workouts can be adjusted to better align with the needs of other athletes.

I would need to start posting workouts on BT again.  Since my coach uses another site, I've been putting my daily workouts there and just surfing BT for the information and camaraderie.  But, I would certainly start posting on BT again as a mentor.

Edited by lutzman 2013-05-17 9:08 PM

2013-05-03 2:39 PM
in reply to: #4724413

User image

Regular
Newport News
Subject: RE: Gray Guy/Girls Tri--Masters Sprint/Olympic Mentor Group Open

Steve,

I'm a Gray Guy and  would like to join your group.  This is my third year doing Triathlons.  Having some injury concerns right now that may limit  by running but hope to work  them out.  This years schedule is  almost all swimming only three triathlons 2 sprint and 1 Olympic right now.

Here's a little about me:

Name: Tsvi (pronounced: sve)

Story: I was a swimmer in High School and kind of active in my earlier years, some biking, running and hiking.  About 16 years ago I was diagnosed with non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma went through the standard CHOP treatment but relapsed after 3 years and had a second and third round of chemotherapy.  I have been in remission and pretty much a couch potato for 10 years.  I finally joined a local wellness center and started swimming in 2010.  By January I was doing 20 miles a month.  While I was looking for swim workouts a came across Beginner Triathlete.  Well swimming did not seem a problem, I once ran 5 and 10Ks, and I know how to ride a bike.   Why not?  So I checked with my Doctor and signed up for my first Triathlon.  Took out my 35 year old ten speed bike (a true 10 speed 5x2), bought a pair of running shoes and started to train using the 16 week Original Sprint program as a guide.  Ten weeks later I was in Smithfield for my first race and I finished, did more of a 5K walk than run but finished.  But I was hooked!    In the last two years I’ve completed 10 Triathlons, a Marathon, two ½ Marathons, a mile swim, and various 5 and 10K runs.  This is my third year and aged up to the 65-69 year olds. Last month I has my first podium finish I Virginia when I took third place M 65-69 in Smithfield Triathlon.

Family Status: Married, 2 Married Sons, 1 Daughter, 1 grand daughter and a grand dog

Current Training:  I have been training about 6-7 hours a week mostly swimming in preparation for the Great Chesapeake swim (4.4 mile) in June.  Been having some knee problems the last 2-3 weeks so have stop running usually 2-3 times a week and only some limited bike also 2-3 times a week before the injury.  I hope to resume Triathlon training later this month with Team in Training (TNT) after a check with the doctor. 

2013 Races:

• ·         Shamrock ½ Marathon Completed in March                                        
  • ·       Smithfield Sprint Completed in April                                           
  • ·       Nanticoke River Swim  - 3 Mile (May)
  • ·       Great Chesapeake Bay Swim - 4.4 Mile (Jun)  "A" race
  •        Jack King Open Water Swim- 1 Mile (JUN)
  • ·       Chris Greene Lake Swim 2 Mile (JUL)
  • ·       Tidewater Triathlon (Jul)
  • ·       Lake Moomaw- 1 Mile Swim (AUG)
  • ·       The Nation's Triathlon (SEP)  "A" race
  • ·       Swim the loop-  3.5 Mile (Oct)    

Weight Loss: I started at about 200 lbs.  I am currently 180 lbs. would like to drop another 10 lbs. but have been at this weight for almost a year.

2013-05-03 5:08 PM
in reply to: #4726348

User image

Regular

You're in Tsvi.  Very impressive in training for the Chesapeake Swim.  My wife and I were down in San Diego last month.  We're up in La Jolla overlooking the ocean and marveled at the open water swimmers chugging along out there in the wide open spaces.  Way too scary for me!

Knee issues are certainly tough.  That's a big part of why I jumped into triathlon...I was running too many miles for my legs to deal with and I was constantly breaking down.  Once I backed off the mileage and run frequency, everything started to go fine.

I think the question I have for you is what your goals are for Triathlon now that you've aged up?  Clearly you're successful with your current level of training.   

2013-05-03 5:59 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas
I would very much like to be part of this group specifically because I fit the older profile; this is my second year in triathlon - first year was 3 sprints, just completed my first oly.. If accepted, I will post a more complete bio tonight.
2013-05-03 7:47 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas

Name:  Norma

Story:  Close to 9 years ago, my parents passed away within 5 weeks of each other - one from cancer and the other from a heart attack.  I decided that it was time to focus on me and get my health in order since cancer runs in my family.  I needed to lose 25 lbs., joined Weight Watchers, started walking and along with my family started training in Taekwondo.

To help with my endurance during sparring, I upped my walking into running.  Even though I really don't like to run that much, it was easy enough to do and it did in fact help my endurance.  To get me motivated, I began to run races.  I did 5 and 10ks for a number of years while working through the various belt levels to become a second degree black belt.  My instructor wanted me to teach kickboxing classes.  I eventually started teaching fitness classes that are a hybrid kickbox, cardio, body pump, and circuit using weights, bands, medicine balls, and other various equipment.  I wanted to do triathlons at age 50 but didn't have the proper equipment to do so.  In 2011, I ran an 11k and in 2012 ran 15k and 2 half marathons.  Began triathlon in 2012, doing 3 sprints and just completed my first Olympic distance at the end of last month. 

Family:  Married for 26 years this month with 2 sons (21 & 16).

Current Training:  Well, because of all I do, training is not as consistant as I would like.  I get in as much as I can.  I have another Oly at the end of this month that I am gearing up for.

Weight:  My weight as been consistent for the last 8 years.  I am fairly muscular.

My goal:  To get faster on the bike since that is my weak area.  I know I need to ride more. I am just slow and steady all around!  But more important, to just enjoy the challenge of the sport and the fact that I have the ability to do it.

Edited by luv2bhealthy 2013-05-03 7:49 PM
2013-05-04 8:10 AM
in reply to: #4726756

User image

Regular

Hello everyone, I'm Linda from Texas. I did my first sprint tri last year.

I have same tri again this July and a splash n dash ...end of June. I would like to bump up to intermediate distance for next year.

I swim about 1200 m. three times a week. I sprained my shoulder last summer in a dirt bike accident and its not a hundred percent.

I bike two to three times a week about 15 miles at a shot. rolling hills.

I run almost everyday (can you tell which is my strong event yet?

I consider my power to weight ratio my weak point. just quit eating pork and trying cut back on salt/sodium. For as much as I run it is amazing I can weigh 135 pounds at 5 ' 3" .

Any help on that one appreciated. I'm lactose and gluten intolerant btw.

I have a rescue dog that must have been owned by a runner..She goes nuts when i saw "run" or she sees me pick up a pair of running shoes. She is thirteen and can run thirty minutes.

Glad to be here. 

2013-05-04 3:50 PM
in reply to: #4726669

User image

Regular

You're in!  Welcome to the group.  Post up your bio so we can get to know you.

Steve

2013-05-04 3:51 PM
in reply to: #4727058

User image

Regular

Hey Linda--Welcome to the group.  Glad to have you on board!

Steve

2013-05-04 5:58 PM
in reply to: #4727351

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas
lutzman - 2013-05-04 3:50 PM

You're in!  Welcome to the group.  Post up your bio so we can get to know you.

Steve

Thank you! And I have...:-)
2013-05-04 6:28 PM

User image

Hey Steve.  I'd like to join your group.  

Background

I ran some in high school but then got busy with life and kids.  I started casual running again around 45 and then, wanting something to distract me from turning 50, started distance running.  I did that for five years but then we bought a water access camp where I spent a lot of the summer so there was little time/room for running.  I didn't do much strenuous for a couple of years and then decided to look at triathlons since I have a lot of opportunity to swim in the summer.  I did a try a tri last summer and a duathlon.  I totally agree with triathlons being better for your body and don't miss the hours of pounding the pavement.  I'm a pretty good runner.  I think I'll be pretty good at biking and I'm a terrible swimmer.  

I've signed up for two sprint triathlons this summer and a duathlon.  I'd really love feedback and tips, particularly with swimming and biking.  

2013-05-04 6:42 PM

User image

New user

Hi, I am a Gray Girl and looking for a group to join.  I have been doing Tri's for 8 years and enjoy them.  Sprints and Olympic distances are what I am doing this year, along with some Master Swimming events.

If accepted, will post my bio.   

2013-05-04 7:47 PM
in reply to: #4727456

User image

Regular

Hey Norma--you have a very compelling story.  Thanks for posting it.  Welcome to the group.  I'll be happy to provide  any ideas or just my outsiders perspective.  

2013 is going to be great!

2013-05-04 7:48 PM
in reply to: #4727500

User image

Regular

Hi Kay--welcome to the group!  You've got a lot of experience so I'm sure you'll have a lot of great insights, ideas and observations.  

Post up your bio!

2013-05-04 7:50 PM
in reply to: #4727484

User image

Regular
b2run - 2013-05-05 4:28 AM

Hey Steve.  I'd like to join your group.  

Background

I ran some in high school but then got busy with life and kids.  I started casual running again around 45 and then, wanting something to distract me from turning 50, started distance running.  I did that for five years but then we bought a water access camp where I spent a lot of the summer so there was little time/room for running.  I didn't do much strenuous for a couple of years and then decided to look at triathlons since I have a lot of opportunity to swim in the summer.  I did a try a tri last summer and a duathlon.  I totally agree with triathlons being better for your body and don't miss the hours of pounding the pavement.  I'm a pretty good runner.  I think I'll be pretty good at biking and I'm a terrible swimmer.  

I've signed up for two sprint triathlons this summer and a duathlon.  I'd really love feedback and tips, particularly with swimming and biking.  

You're in.  Welcome to the group.  I'll be happy to provide any ideas or tips that I can on swimming and biking.  Sounds like you've got a solid start on running.  Welcome to the group.

2013-05-04 10:04 PM

User image

New user
Hingham, MA

Hi, My name is James and I would like to join the group. I am 55 (56 this coming Friday) and I am going to do my first Sprint Triathlon towards the end of July. I am currently training for a half marathon (again a first) on May 26th up in Boston called "The Run to Remember". Not being a real swimmer I started a masters class and was going pretty religiously but have fallen off due to a new job. This is where I need the most work and will be trying to get back into it again and find more time for my bike.

I got into running again about two years ago and I lost 50 pounds but I would like to lose 20 more to help me get my times lower, last 5k I ran was at 8:22 miles and I would like to get into the 7s this year which I think the weight loss would help.

I have a great wife who is very supportive and 4 wonderful kids ages 10 to 17, yes I got a late start but the main thing is I found the right one. Smile

2013-05-04 10:52 PM

User image

Regular
North Carolina
Hi. I'm Rick and interested in joining your group. Little about me, 54 y/o, 55 in September. I've been happily married for 30 years, have two children, three grandchildren. My daughter was a collegiate swimmer! Now a teacher, my son went to college and majored in partying and co- eds, he's now serving in the US Army. I'm proud of them both. I served in the US Navy. January 2012 i weighed over 350 pounds, my new year's resolution was to lose 100 pounds. fast forward to January 2013, decided i'd run a triathlon. February I ran a 5k as a warm- up, finished 3rd in my age group, one month later I ran my first sprint triathlon, finishing third in my AG. If you're asking, there were more than three of us! LOL. Last month i ran the tri-mayberry (Andy's hometown), the bike ride was grueling, the first nine miles was up hill with almost a thousand foot climb, but the ride back down the mountain was a blast! To date I've run two triathlons and my third is May 19th, my first open water swim. Between triathlons i run 5ks with my wife who has decided to take up running, with a little coaxing i think i may get her to give it a tri. My plan is to run a triathlon a month, each more challenging and longer than the one before, with the ultimate goal of running the Beach to Battleship HIM in Wilmington, NC this October and if my health holds out, run the full IM October 2014. Oh yeah, my weight, I now weigh 165 pounds, never felt better. I currently live in Erwin, NC , the middle of nowhere and the capital of absolutely nothing to do. A typical workout week is up at 4AM, bike 8.5 miles to the gym where i workout for approximately an hour, then 8.5 miles back to the house, walk the dog for a mile, on days i don't ride my bike i run 3 miles to/ from the gym, try to swim three times a week. All this before work. Now that the days are getting longer i'm going to change up and ride the bike every morning, then stop by the lake for a swim on the way home from work every other day and run every other day. Over the weekends i rest one day and the other i'll either do a 8-12 mile run, 50+ mile bike ride, or hit the pool or lake for a one to two hour swim. Ultimately want to extend these runs to four plus hours and 100 mile bike rides.

2013-05-04 10:58 PM
in reply to: #4727637

User image

Regular
JREDFLY - 2013-05-05 8:04 AM

Hi, My name is James and I would like to join the group. I am 55 (56 this coming Friday) and I am going to do my first Sprint Triathlon towards the end of July. I am currently training for a half marathon (again a first) on May 26th up in Boston called "The Run to Remember". Not being a real swimmer I started a masters class and was going pretty religiously but have fallen off due to a new job. This is where I need the most work and will be trying to get back into it again and find more time for my bike.

I got into running again about two years ago and I lost 50 pounds but I would like to lose 20 more to help me get my times lower, last 5k I ran was at 8:22 miles and I would like to get into the 7s this year which I think the weight loss would help.

I have a great wife who is very supportive and 4 wonderful kids ages 10 to 17, yes I got a late start but the main thing is I found the right one. Smile

Hey James--welcome to the Gray Guy mentor group.  First, congrats on your improved health and weight loss.  That's a fabulous achievement!  I'll be more than happy to bounce ideas with you as you train for your first sprint.  Welcome to the group!

2013-05-04 11:17 PM
in reply to: #4727664

User image

Regular

Bull - 2013-05-05 8:52 AM Hi. I'm Rick and interested in joining your group. Little about me, 54 y/o, 55 in September. I've been happily married for 30 years, have two children, three grandchildren. My daughter was a collegiate swimmer! Now a teacher, my son went to college and majored in partying and co- eds, he's now serving in the US Army. I'm proud of them both. I served in the US Navy. January 2012 i weighed over 350 pounds, my new year's resolution was to lose 100 pounds. fast forward to January 2013, decided i'd run a triathlon. February I ran a 5k as a warm- up, finished 3rd in my age group, one month later I ran my first sprint triathlon, finishing third in my AG. If you're asking, there were more than three of us! LOL. Last month i ran the tri-mayberry (Andy's hometown), the bike ride was grueling, the first nine miles was up hill with almost a thousand foot climb, but the ride back down the mountain was a blast! To date I've run two triathlons and my third is May 19th, my first open water swim. Between triathlons i run 5ks with my wife who has decided to take up running, with a little coaxing i think i may get her to give it a tri. My plan is to run a triathlon a month, each more challenging and longer than the one before, with the ultimate goal of running the Beach to Battleship HIM in Wilmington, NC this October and if my health holds out, run the full IM October 2014. Oh yeah, my weight, I now weigh 165 pounds, never felt better. I currently live in Erwin, NC , the middle of nowhere and the capital of absolutely nothing to do. A typical workout week is up at 4AM, bike 8.5 miles to the gym where i workout for approximately an hour, then 8.5 miles back to the house, walk the dog for a mile, on days i don't ride my bike i run 3 miles to/ from the gym, try to swim three times a week. All this before work. Now that the days are getting longer i'm going to change up and ride the bike every morning, then stop by the lake for a swim on the way home from work every other day and run every other day. Over the weekends i rest one day and the other i'll either do a 8-12 mile run, 50+ mile bike ride, or hit the pool or lake for a one to two hour swim. Ultimately want to extend these runs to four plus hours and 100 mile bike rides.

Hi Rick:

Holy Cow!  Seriously?   From 350 to 165?  That is spectacular and inspirational. Good luck on your race on the 19th.  One of the things I really like about sprint and olympic distance races (unlike HIM/IM) is there is a relatively quick recovery.   Given your training, your objective of a race a month is realistic.

Last year I plugged in 10 triathlons...basically one a month from March through December.  It' was pretty doable with a caveat.  The "watch out" is hitting a plateau in your training because you can easily schedule of three weeks hard training, one week taper/race which can develop into a training rut.  After a couple of months the improvement stops with out a solid rest/recovery cycle.  So it's important to build that into your annual plan.

I learned the hard way last year at Age Group Nationals.  After starting out racing in March, I hit it every month right up to the national race in August.  But by the time I hit late July my times were beginning to get worse.  By August, my 57 year old body was just plain flat.  I had the worst race of the entire summer at Age Group Nationals.  So I backed it off for about four weeks for a rest/recovery period and then built a training block for a race in October and another in December...and had my two best races of the year.

It's tricky stuff trying to dial in the training for 55+.  Mentally, I keep telling myself I can train with the intensity (albeit slower) I did when I was 30.  Physically, I just can keep it up.  REST days and "easy weeks" are so much more important for recovery.

Good luck and welcome to the group.  I'll look forward to hearing about your race on the 19th!

Steve 

2013-05-04 11:21 PM

User image

Regular

What's your training plan for Sunday?  Post 'em up!

Steve

2013-05-05 7:17 AM

User image

There is still snow on the ground here so Friday was the first day I got the bike off the trainer and took a ride outside.  Today I'll take another ride.  I think I'll warm up and then do a 20 km threshold just to see where I am.  I did a few of those last fall so I can compare.
2013-05-05 10:29 AM

User image

New user
Hingham, MA

Ran 13.1 for the first time yesterday and felt really good (Hooray!!!). Last Saturday  I ran 11 miles keeping my heart rate between 135 bpm to 140 bpm which had me averaging around a 12 minute mile. Yesterday I was going to do the same but my friend who is an accomplished runner asked  me to try the following;. take it easy for the first 3 miles then kick it up a little bit to about to 8 mile mark then kick it higher the last 5 miles of my run . Well I kept my heart rate at 135 for the first 3 miles which averaged my regular 12 minute mile. At the end of the mile 3 mark I picked it up to 140-150 bpm pace at about a 11 minute pace and felt good. On the way back in after mile 8 I kicked the heart rate up to 160 and was running 10 minute miles feeling really good but was a little apprehensive that I wouldn't have enough gas in the tank to make it home. Well I started to get a bit winded at mile 12 and as well I should have because I noticed I had pushed my heart rate up to 180 bpm which I have never seen before on my monitor but after regaining my wind I finished the last half mile kind of strong with a time of 2:25. I was very please with this especially because my lower outside of my left knee felt perfectly fine. I have been having some pain there while on my runs the last couple of weeks but usually run through it.

Anyway that brings me to Sunday, so this morning I was going to go out and do an easy 5 but bang as soon as I started there was the pain in my lower outside left knee joint but this time I was actually limping. I kept running thinking I could run through it. I did three miles and said this is stupid , I need to rest this. From doing some online research I believe it is just inflammation where a tendon is attaché to the tibia. They say rest and ice if that doesn't work a cortisone shot. Just really stinks when I have come this far. FYI I was actually up to 30 mile per week but because of the new job I have only been able to put in 20. I am thinking I really need a days rest after a long run but if I don't run on  Sundays that really brings my weekly total down even more. Right now I am swimming Monday, Wednesday Fridays mornings because that is my master class schedule and run Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday (long run) and Sunday. I have been doing spin class on Tuesday night and trying to do some light bike rides on Sunday also. I have my first half marathon in 3 weeks so any advice on how to rest this knee and keep adequately trained would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! Oh and sorry if this was little long winded but this knee thing is very frustrating. Cry 

Edited by JREDFLY 2013-05-05 10:59 AM

2013-05-05 10:39 AM
in reply to: #4727780

User image

Regular

b2run - 2013-05-05 5:17 PM There is still snow on the ground here so Friday was the first day I got the bike off the trainer and took a ride outside.  Today I'll take another ride.  I think I'll warm up and then do a 20 km threshold just to see where I am.  I did a few of those last fall so I can compare.

Yikes....snow on the ground?  Nasty.  Where are you at?

It will be interesting to see how your threshold ride time compares to what you did last year.   Hopefully your winter indoor trainer sessions were consistent and strong enough so that you're base fitness is reasonably sound.  Pretty tough to start building speed prior to establishing the foundation.

I'm heading out in 30 minutes or so.  Beautiful day here in central Washington State.   It's only 50 now but it's supposed to hit 85 later in the day.  My plan is for about a 2.5 hour ride on my time trial bike.  I'll do about a 30 minute warm up and the plug in 3 X 12 minute hard efforts with 12-15 minutes recovery between each set.  Then ride back up the hill to my house which is about 700 feet of vertical climbing....which due to the gearing on the bike is a painful experience vs. my road bike.  Have a great day!

2013-05-05 11:07 AM
in reply to: #4727904

User image

lutzman - 2013-05-05 10:39 AM

b2run - 2013-05-05 5:17 PM There is still snow on the ground here so Friday was the first day I got the bike off the trainer and took a ride outside.  Today I'll take another ride.  I think I'll warm up and then do a 20 km threshold just to see where I am.  I did a few of those last fall so I can compare.

Yikes....snow on the ground?  Nasty.  Where are you at?

It will be interesting to see how your threshold ride time compares to what you did last year.   Hopefully your winter indoor trainer sessions were consistent and strong enough so that you're base fitness is reasonably sound.  Pretty tough to start building speed prior to establishing the foundation.

I'm heading out in 30 minutes or so.  Beautiful day here in central Washington State.   It's only 50 now but it's supposed to hit 85 later in the day.  My plan is for about a 2.5 hour ride on my time trial bike.  I'll do about a 30 minute warm up and the plug in 3 X 12 minute hard efforts with 12-15 minutes recovery between each set.  Then ride back up the hill to my house which is about 700 feet of vertical climbing....which due to the gearing on the bike is a painful experience vs. my road bike.  Have a great day!

Northern Ontario.  There's just a few spots that there's still snow.  We had a cold and snowy April.

Wow!  2.5 hours.  That's hard core.  I was pretty sore in my butt and legs after Friday's ride.  

I put in about 2.5 hours per week on the trainer so I think I have a pretty good base.

2013-05-05 4:09 PM

User image

New user

Michigan

Hi Steve

I am a gray guy in every sense. I would be thrilled if I could join the group. This is my second year of triathlon, having only done one tri last year. I got the bug and have signed up for 5 this year. I am a middle of the pack athlete, enjoy the challenge and camaraderie from participating in sports.  I have done four half marathons and a number of adventure races. My claim to fame was an expedition adventure race, 77 hours with only 75 mins sleep.  I am an active bike rider, riding mountain, road, and occasional touring but not racing, run for enjoyment and fitness and am frantically trying to learn to swim properly. I was a state champion windsurfer (in Australia) for three years in a row, many years ago, but there was not a lot a swimming involved in windsurfing or surfing, and you kept your head out of the water. You can see my challenge now. As I read that I am reminded of a T-shirt I saw that said "The older I get, the better I was."

I am married to a beautiful and supportive friend who joins me, sometimes, on the bike and running. We have 4 children, and 7 grandchildren spread across the northern and southern hemisphere.  My wife is American and I am Australian, we live in the mid-west. We both work in education, she is a principal and I am a consultant.

My main exercise companion is a lively border collie. The border collie stare is a great motivator and guilt tripper.

Thanks

Les

2013-05-05 4:26 PM
in reply to: #4728120

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas
Howaussie - 2013-05-05 4:09 PM

Hi Steve

I am a gray guy in every sense. I would be thrilled if I could join the group. This is my second year of triathlon, having only done one tri last year. I got the bug and have signed up for 5 this year. I am a middle of the pack athlete, enjoy the challenge and camaraderie from participating in sports.  I have done four half marathons and a number of adventure races. My claim to fame was an expedition adventure race, 77 hours with only 75 mins sleep.  I am an active bike rider, riding mountain, road, and occasional touring but not racing, run for enjoyment and fitness and am frantically trying to learn to swim properly. I was a state champion windsurfer (in Australia) for three years in a row, many years ago, but there was not a lot a swimming involved in windsurfing or surfing, and you kept your head out of the water. You can see my challenge now. As I read that I am reminded of a T-shirt I saw that said "The older I get, the better I was."

I am married to a beautiful and supportive friend who joins me, sometimes, on the bike and running. We have 4 children, and 7 grandchildren spread across the northern and southern hemisphere.  My wife is American and I am Australian, we live in the mid-west. We both work in education, she is a principal and I am a consultant.

My main exercise companion is a lively border collie. The border collie stare is a great motivator and guilt tripper.

Thanks

Les

I love Aussies! Have friends in Adelaide and Perth! So cool that there are so many inspirational stories here. I am a late bloomer and terribly slow in tri so I am hoping to learn some things to help me improve.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guy/Girls Tri--Masters Sprint/Olympic Mentor Group CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 37