BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society 2 - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 70

2013-05-03 3:00 PM

User image

Expert
Subject: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society 2 - Closed

WHEN CAN YOU START MENTORING CONSISTENTLY: Right now!  Let's do this!

GROUP FOCUS: This group is perfect for beer loving people looking to do their first Sprint or Olympic triathons in 2013.  Beer is a great motivator and I'm willing to use it to not only to motivate you but to hold you accountable as well. 

NAME: David or DQ

STORY: Last year, I was weighing in at a portly 270 pounds and knew I needed to find a way of becoming heathier and happier.  So, I started working out with the goal of dropping the weight.  It seemed to take forever, but with support from my mentor group and from the desire to drink good beer, I made steady progress and managed to make working out and eating well a way of life.  For me, its all about being happy and healthy and tri is the perfect way to do it.

FAMILY STATUS: I am blessed to be married to Heidi and during the last 15 years, we've had three kids 12, 11, and 4

CURRENT TRAINING: I love swimming, biking and running and I usually do each element 2-3x per week.  I'm also trying out yoga with the hope of alleviating injuries (I struggle with plantar fasciitis, ITB, and bursitis).  

THIS YEAR'S RACES: I haven't raced yet.

2013 RACES:  This year, my goal is to get faster.  Here's the plan - May-Season Opener (sprint), June - Heartbreak Hill 5K, July-Mark Mellon Oly, September-Pumpkinman (half iron man), November-Chilly half marathon.

BEER PREFERENCE: I will drink just about anything but my favorite styles are saison, gueuze, and IPA's.  I also make beer, and I've got a wheat IPA in the fridge.

WEIGHT LOSS: Last year, I lost 96 pounds.  Who knew that you could drink beer and lose weight?  It's all about moderation.  My doctor just told me that I need to get down to 165, so I have about another 20 to lose.  Let's do it together!

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: To be honest, I would not have been able to accomplish what I did in 2012 without the help of my awesome mentor (thanks DH) and fellow beer loving mentees.  I am so thankful, and I want to repay my debt by helping those who join this group to accomplish their goals.  I promise to check the forum everyday and I will do my best to answer your questions and cheer you on as you prepare for the 2013 tri season.  As a group, we will use beer to help motivate us to get healthier and happier and to put us in a good position to accomplish our goals and kick a little butt along the way.

PROST!!!

Edited by Qua17 2013-06-21 11:06 AM

2013-05-05 3:02 PM
in reply to: #4726389

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society 2 - Open

Sign me up!  Your last group did so much to push me forward and get me through the rough patches.

NAME: Alex

STORY: Just getting started and loving the aspect of training and nutrition.  It's become a discipline that I am enjoying following.  Got big race plans on the horizon and will do what ever I need to achieve them.  Still on the injured list but that should be changing in the next 2 weeks or so based on what the doctor says this week.

FAMILY STATUS: Married with a great 8 year old boy that is my everything.

CURRENT TRAINING: I love swimming, biking and running and I usually do each element 2-3x per week.  I'm also trying out yoga with the hope of alleviating injuries (I struggle with plantar fasciitis, ITB, and bursitis).  

THIS YEAR'S RACES: 5K in Jan.

2013 RACES:  I'm hoping if the knees are set I will be able to get my first sprint in on July 7th.  If not I have a back up race in Sept.  Then in Nov I am shooting for an Oly distance race. 

BEER PREFERENCE: Warm Coors Light Tongue out ...I enjoy my Weiss beers and mostly anything wheat.  On hot days I can go for a fruity beer as well (don't spread that around)

WEIGHT LOSS: When I started this I was sitting at 252 and as of today I'm hovering at 193ish.  Not to my goal yet but on the way.

2013-05-05 9:53 PM
in reply to: #4728071

User image

Veteran
New Mexico
Sign me up!  I'm ready!

NAME: Jared Langenegger

STORY: Just started in endurance sports.  Did my first ever marathon on March 17 at the Bataan Death March.  Got tired of being overweight and lazy and decided it was better to get out and accomplish something.  I started in November and it is amazing to see how far I have come, even though I have a long way to go!  

FAMILY STATUS: Married to the love of my life for the past 5 years and we have two great boys Isaac 12 and Joseph 6. 

CURRENT TRAINING: I love cycling, tolerate running and am ready for summer to get here so I can get in some swimming!  try to get in at least 2-3 runs and bikes each week but with kids baseball and school activities that does not always happen.    

THIS YEAR'S RACES: 26.2 on March 17, 2013 at the Bataan Death March.

2013 RACES:  Signed up for my first sprint tri in July and an adventure race that incorporates a 6mi run 3mi kayak/canoe, 20mi bike and shotgun shoot.  

BEER PREFERENCE: Stouts

WEIGHT LOSS: When I started I was at 235 now at 212, been having trouble getting below 210, but have decided not to focus so much on weigh loss and work more on increasing distance in the run and bike.  

2013-05-06 6:04 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta
sign me up! bio to come!
2013-05-06 9:35 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

NAME: Thor

STORY: A few years back lost 100lbs and decided to do a sprint just for weight loss maintenance. Have continued on with since doing Olys, sprints and HM. Have recently taken triathlon coaching course. I have also started a triathlon club in my area. 

FAMILY STATUS: Married with with 2 kids, 10 and 5. My son has done 4 KOS triathlons with me and my daughter is doing her first this summer.  My wife is also doing her first this year!

CURRENT TRAINING: Winter training with a focus on improving my bike was going great until sidelined with pinched nerve in my neck.  Still bothering me but i have started back again. No swimming yet though.  

THIS YEAR'S RACES: All races in jeopardy  right now. Supposed to have a sprint May 11...not anymore. Will see how nerve issues go...

BEER PREFERENCE: IPA's!

WEIGHT LOSS: Was on my way to ideal weight of 190 but...(see above with neck)

Too many spring beers and not enough workouts of late!

2013-05-06 11:19 AM

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
I'm in...Bio to follow.

2013-05-06 11:21 AM

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
Can we start our week goals on the new page?
2013-05-06 2:05 PM

User image

New user

Streamwood, IL

Name:  Rus (yes, with just 1 s)

Story:  I've always loved biking, and always loved swimming.  Never did any of it competitively, though, and I thought it woudl be fun to do so.  I started some running and have run my first race ever early this spring.  Definetely hooked.  I "can" swim, I "can" bike, and I "can" run.  Why not put all three together?  After being "the fat kid" up till college graduation, I really have no athletic background, but find a certain satisfaction in being able to do this now.  I lost 70 lbs initially, then gained a bunch back, and now back down to 188.  Training for tri's will get me to my goal, almost guaranteed.

Family Status: Married, 9 years;  1 six year old little boy

Current Training:  I WAS doing 6 days a week, MWF- running; Tue-Thu- Swimming 30 mins, stationary bike 30 mins; Sat or Sun- long run.  My biking has always been thr strong part, that's why I have put as much focus on it.  Unfortunatly, I busted up my knee about a month ago, and it's not fully recovered yet.  I tried a small run 2 weeks after the initial injury, but that was a horrible idea, and I hurt it even worse.  I'm now on day 15 since that re- injury, and it's getting better, but slowly.

2013 Races;  Complete my frist ever race of any kind St. Patricks Day weekend, a 5K (30:32).  Current 5K PR is 28:07.  I'm hoping to get back there ASAP, but to do it smartly considering my injury.  The frist sprint tri I'm aiming for is the weekend after the 4th of July.  It really depends on how quickly I can recover.  If that wont work, the next is in the beginning of August.  And another the 2nd weekend in September.

Beer Preference:  Pale Ales, Wheat Beers.  But if it's free, it's for me!

Edited by capnrus789 2013-05-06 2:08 PM
2013-05-06 2:08 PM

User image

Veteran
Illinois

NAME: Charles, or mirthfuldragon

STORY: Just hit the three year mark on the weight loss journey, from 296lbs to my current 183, and I've been sitting at 183lbs for longer than I care to admit.  Last year, my wife set a fitness and weight loss goal of running the Chicago triathlon, so we've both been training for that.  We're both up to run the Olympic program on 8/25/13.

FAMILY STATUS: Married 1.5 years, no children.

CURRENT TRAINING: Biking is my passion and joy, since I got hooked on it last year.  Running is coming along, slowly but surely, and I swim like a brick.  I've joined a masters group, starting in June, so that should help the swim (or drown me).

THIS YEAR'S RACES:  Ran a 5k with some friends, but the rest is still coming.

2013 RACES:  This year, I have a sprint (May 25) and two olympics (AUgust 11 and 25) and the Chicago Marathon in October.

BEER PREFERENCE: Hefewiese - something about that wonderful, cloudy ambrosia makes me feel happy.  Probably the alcohol .  I also like dark beers, full of malt and grain.  I can appreciate a nice IPA, but don't prefer them - it always seems like I am drinking potpourri.  

WEIGHT LOSS: I am still working on the last 15 pounds, with a goal weight of 168ish.  The weight is getting stubborn now, and summer means beer and bbq, my big weaknesses.  Three and four hour rides should help though, now that the weather is nice.

Long term goals:  This summer is about racing and enjoying myself; I'll switch to a run focus for the marathon in September.  For the fall, it's all about masters swimming and running.  For the winter, trainer road and sufferfest should help my bike - bring on the pain - IWBMATTKYT, and probably a bulk/cut cycle to put on some muscle mass.  Next year - two HIM and Ironman Wisconsin in September - bring on the Iron Moo!

2013-05-06 8:09 PM
in reply to: #4728071

User image

Expert
Burd - 2013-05-05 3:02 PM

Sign me up!  Your last group did so much to push me forward and get me through the rough patches.

NAME: Alex

STORY: Just getting started and loving the aspect of training and nutrition.  It's become a discipline that I am enjoying following.  Got big race plans on the horizon and will do what ever I need to achieve them.  Still on the injured list but that should be changing in the next 2 weeks or so based on what the doctor says this week.

FAMILY STATUS: Married with a great 8 year old boy that is my everything.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: 5K in Jan.

2013 RACES:  I'm hoping if the knees are set I will be able to get my first sprint in on July 7th.  If not I have a back up race in Sept.  Then in Nov I am shooting for an Oly distance race. 

BEER PREFERENCE: Warm Coors Light Tongue out ...I enjoy my Weiss beers and mostly anything wheat.  On hot days I can go for a fruity beer as well (don't spread that around)

WEIGHT LOSS: When I started this I was sitting at 252 and as of today I'm hovering at 193ish.  Not to my goal yet but on the way.

Alex - Glad to have you back!  While I too love how supportive the group was - be sure to take some credit for yourself.  You have had a great year so far (life changing is not an understatement) and it's been your determination that has gotten you there!

2013-05-06 8:11 PM
in reply to: #4728478

User image

Expert
jlangene - 2013-05-05 9:53 PM Sign me up!  I'm ready!

NAME: Jared Langenegger

STORY: Just started in endurance sports.  Did my first ever marathon on March 17 at the Bataan Death March.  Got tired of being overweight and lazy and decided it was better to get out and accomplish something.  I started in November and it is amazing to see how far I have come, even though I have a long way to go!  

FAMILY STATUS: Married to the love of my life for the past 5 years and we have two great boys Isaac 12 and Joseph 6. 

CURRENT TRAINING: I love cycling, tolerate running and am ready for summer to get here so I can get in some swimming!  try to get in at least 2-3 runs and bikes each week but with kids baseball and school activities that does not always happen.    

THIS YEAR'S RACES: 26.2 on March 17, 2013 at the Bataan Death March.

2013 RACES:  Signed up for my first sprint tri in July and an adventure race that incorporates a 6mi run 3mi kayak/canoe, 20mi bike and shotgun shoot.  

BEER PREFERENCE: Stouts

WEIGHT LOSS: When I started I was at 235 now at 212, been having trouble getting below 210, but have decided not to focus so much on weigh loss and work more on increasing distance in the run and bike.  

Welcome back Jared.  Stouts huh?  I'm gonna need to recruit some fruitbeer lovers to just spice up the groupSmile

2013-05-06 8:15 PM
in reply to: #4729017

User image

Expert
thor67 - 2013-05-06 9:35 AM

NAME: Thor

STORY: A few years back lost 100lbs and decided to do a sprint just for weight loss maintenance. Have continued on with since doing Olys, sprints and HM. Have recently taken triathlon coaching course. I have also started a triathlon club in my area. 

FAMILY STATUS: Married with with 2 kids, 10 and 5. My son has done 4 KOS triathlons with me and my daughter is doing her first this summer.  My wife is also doing her first this year!

CURRENT TRAINING: Winter training with a focus on improving my bike was going great until sidelined with pinched nerve in my neck.  Still bothering me but i have started back again. No swimming yet though.  

THIS YEAR'S RACES: All races in jeopardy  right now. Supposed to have a sprint May 11...not anymore. Will see how nerve issues go...

BEER PREFERENCE: IPA's!

WEIGHT LOSS: Was on my way to ideal weight of 190 but...(see above with neck)

Too many spring beers and not enough workouts of late! 

Thor - So glad to have you even if you are on the injured reserve list (that was a hockey term in your honor).  I hope you will post a couple challenges once the group gets going.  Hope your neck gets better ASAP!

2013-05-06 8:17 PM
in reply to: #4729320

User image

Expert

SportzVision - 2013-05-06 11:19 AM I'm in...Bio to follow.

Glad to have the toughest woman back for another mentor group (Kudo's to you on your recent run/hike.  Love the fact that you caught up to them after they had such a huge head start!)  Watch out boys if you race out west - you liable to get chickedLaughing  

I will post a copy of the goal chart in a bit!

Edited by Qua17 2013-05-06 8:30 PM
2013-05-06 8:29 PM

User image

Expert
Here is the chart - I'll have to work on the links but it will do until we go live.  If I made a mistake with the list, please let me know.
Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Weekly Goal Sheet

kevinbe

Kevin

W/o 4/7 days this week.

Finish graduates thesis and coursework this week. (monkey off of the back)

thor67 Thor 
 SportzVision Cynthia 
 jlangeneJared  
mirthfuldragon Charles  
Burd Alex 
  • See the doctor Tuesday and pay him extra to fix me like Mr Miyagi did to Danielson
  • Get in a minimum of 4 swims
  • Continue food logging
  • Try to make the Wednesday morning Yoga class at my gym
 bobddsmd  Bobby 
 justinfss Justin 
BigDH Darren/DH 
capnrus789Rus  
  Qua17 David or DQ
  • Prepare for Season Opener
  • 2 swim/bike/run - 60%
  • Gotta get back on the Yoga Train
  • Break my previous time by 10% - 1:23:13 (if I hit 1:15 = pick 6 for me/Coors if below 10% - 1:31)

Edited by Qua17 2013-05-06 8:32 PM
2013-05-06 8:41 PM
in reply to: #4729830

User image

Expert

Welcome to the group Rus.  I'm sorry you hurt your knee - but I love the fact that you kept at it.  The group will support you until you get back into the swing of things.  I'm not sure what you did to your knee but with 2 months between now and your race, I'd be willing to bet you will be able to do it.  Worst case is that you'll have to walk part of the run.

I added you to the weekly goal chart.  Cut and paste the entire table into a new message and include your goals for the week and we will be sure to help you get there.

2013-05-06 8:45 PM
in reply to: #4729838

User image

Expert

Charles - So glad that you came back for round 2!  Let's work together on reaching our weight loss goals.  I'd like to get down to 165 by the end of the season (for me that's 20+ LBs).  Good luck on training for that Sprint tri!

And thanks a TON for the advice.  I haven't digested it yet - but I will take a closer look tomorrow.  

2013-05-06 9:06 PM
in reply to: #4729830

User image

Veteran
Illinois
capnrus789 - 2013-05-06 2:05 PM

Name:  Rus (yes, with just 1 s)

Story:  I've always loved biking, and always loved swimming.  Never did any of it competitively, though, and I thought it woudl be fun to do so.  I started some running and have run my first race ever early this spring.  Definetely hooked.  I "can" swim, I "can" bike, and I "can" run.  Why not put all three together?  After being "the fat kid" up till college graduation, I really have no athletic background, but find a certain satisfaction in being able to do this now.  I lost 70 lbs initially, then gained a bunch back, and now back down to 188.  Training for tri's will get me to my goal, almost guaranteed.

Family Status: Married, 9 years;  1 six year old little boy

Current Training:  I WAS doing 6 days a week, MWF- running; Tue-Thu- Swimming 30 mins, stationary bike 30 mins; Sat or Sun- long run.  My biking has always been thr strong part, that's why I have put as much focus on it.  Unfortunatly, I busted up my knee about a month ago, and it's not fully recovered yet.  I tried a small run 2 weeks after the initial injury, but that was a horrible idea, and I hurt it even worse.  I'm now on day 15 since that re- injury, and it's getting better, but slowly.

2013 Races;  Complete my frist ever race of any kind St. Patricks Day weekend, a 5K (30:32).  Current 5K PR is 28:07.  I'm hoping to get back there ASAP, but to do it smartly considering my injury.  The frist sprint tri I'm aiming for is the weekend after the 4th of July.  It really depends on how quickly I can recover.  If that wont work, the next is in the beginning of August.  And another the 2nd weekend in September.

Beer Preference:  Pale Ales, Wheat Beers.  But if it's free, it's for me!

Glad you figured it out  Welcome to the group.  

2013-05-06 9:07 PM
in reply to: #4730413

User image

Veteran
Illinois
Qua17 - 2013-05-06 8:45 PM

Charles - So glad that you came back for round 2!  Let's work together on reaching our weight loss goals.  I'd like to get down to 165 by the end of the season (for me that's 20+ LBs).  Good luck on training for that Sprint tri!

And thanks a TON for the advice.  I haven't digested it yet - but I will take a closer look tomorrow.  

Fishes swim, birds fly, and I deal with mortgages and debt.  It's what I spend my day doing, and what I have spent the last five months or so doing for myself, so no worries, and happy to help.

2013-05-06 9:08 PM
in reply to: #4730385

User image

Veteran
Illinois

kevinbe

Kevin

W/o 4/7 days this week.

thor67 Thor 
 SportzVision Cynthia 
 jlangeneJared  
mirthfuldragon Charles 
  •  Keep burning the candle hard until I have to start moving boxes and race day.
  • Focus on nutrition, and the swim.
Burd Alex 
  • See the doctor Tuesday and pay him extra to fix me like Mr Miyagi did to Danielson
  • Continue food logging
 bobddsmd  Bobby 
 justinfss Justin 
BigDH Darren/DH 
capnrus789Rus  
  Qua17 David or DQ
  • 2 swim/bike/run - 60%
  • Break my previous time by 10% - 1:23:13 (if I hit 1:15 = pick 6 for me/Coors if below 10% - 1:31)
2013-05-06 9:15 PM

User image

Veteran
Illinois

This weekend was pretty good for me, all things considered.  I got a great ride in on Saturday, and went riding with my wife on Sunday.  We found a cue sheet from one of the local tri clubs, for a country ride in Barrington, and it was a nice 15 mile loop.  I am very proud that my wife was able to handle it, since she's still learning her new road bike.  She's also sporting some nice bruises and a scabbed knee from learning to cleat in to her new pedals.

Good run this morning, but I walked back due to some GI issues that were exacerbated by running.  I may need to reconsider big dinners and long morning run combinations

On the downside, I broke another damn spoke (two broken spokes in my last two road rides), so I went and spent the money on a new set of Mavic Aksiums today.

Here's a question - at what point does it become stupid to support your LBS, and how appropriate is it to try to haggle?  I like the guys at Deerfield Cyclery, but I just spend $380 on what would have cost me $330 at Amazon.  I begrudge the money, but at the same time, I know they'll stand by their products, but it's still $50.

2013-05-06 9:42 PM

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
Any room still?  If so, I'm in.

2013-05-07 7:28 AM
in reply to: #4730485

User image

Veteran
New Mexico

kevinbe - 2013-05-06 8:42 PM Any room still?  If so, I'm in.

Well Dave did say he was looking for people that liked fruity beer . . . Laughing  ha ha 

2013-05-07 7:31 AM
in reply to: #4730447

User image

Veteran
New Mexico
mirthfuldragon - 2013-05-06 8:08 PM

kevinbe

Kevin

W/o 4/7 days this week.

thor67 Thor 
 SportzVision Cynthia 
 jlangeneJared 
  •  Get back to using fitday to record all calories taken in
  • get back on the bike, knee feels better may try a brace to keep it that way, 3 rides of at least 15 miles
  • get runs in like I am supposed to at least 3
mirthfuldragon Charles 
  •  Keep burning the candle hard until I have to start moving boxes and race day.
Burd Alex 
  • Continue food logging
 bobddsmd  Bobby 
 justinfss Justin 
BigDH Darren/DH 
capnrus789Rus  
  Qua17 David or DQ
  • 2 swim/bike/run - 60%
2013-05-07 8:19 AM
in reply to: #4730447

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta
mirthfuldragon - 2013-05-06 8:08 PM

kevinbe

Kevin

W/o 4/7 days this week.

thor67 Thor
  •  continue with physio
  • 2 runs
  • 2 bikes
 SportzVision Cynthia 
 jlangeneJared  
mirthfuldragon Charles 
Burd Alex 
  • Continue food logging
 bobddsmd  Bobby 
 justinfss Justin 
BigDH Darren/DH 
capnrus789Rus  
  Qua17 David or DQ
  • 2 swim/bike/run - 60%
2013-05-07 9:24 AM

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
Road down on the trail by the river today.  Made me remember why I like riding out doors so much.  Beautiful morning with a beautiful sunrise.  13 miles left me feeling sore, but energized. 
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society 2 - Closed Rss Feed  

of 70