BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Suz and Steph's Sprint, Oly and First Tri group! OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 9

2013-08-14 6:44 PM
in reply to: comet the dog

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Subject: RE: Suz and Steph's Sprint, Oly and First Tri group! OPEN
Oh my goodness, you'll fit right in!

Welcome. When is your next race? Give us a race report of your last one... especially if it has a funny twist or turn!

Stephanie

2013-08-14 6:46 PM
in reply to: skibummer

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
ha ha ha! it's all about the training...
2013-08-14 6:47 PM

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
2013-08-14 6:51 PM
in reply to: stephsprint

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Subject: First Oly coming up AGAIN
This is the one I panicked and bailed on last year. BAILED OUT of the swim, swam back to shore... OH THE FEAR AND HUMILIATION!

So this year I'm doing it. Nov 10.
2013-08-17 1:53 AM
in reply to: #4728022

User image

Master
hiding in your closet
I dont have any funny tri stories. Been working crazy hrs at work "money wins everytime" so I havent done much training of any kind and I dont have another tri planned for this year.
2013-08-17 5:46 AM

Kind of funny for you:

Started to leave T2 with my helmet on, but realized it before I ran out.

Also... I was worried about flatting the whole time, but didn't. Got home and when I woke up the next morning I had a flat.

The worst part about getting marked with age group on your leg is realizing that a 15 yr old just zipped by you on a top of the line bike. Damn kids.

I did manage to catch a 75 year old guy on the last .25mi of the run. Take that old man.

My next tri next Sunday 25th is B/S/B/R. 8/.25/8/3. I thought the swim was longer. Now I'll be able to really give 'er on the swim and not worry about blowing up too much. There was an article in the local paper about it and the reason they cut the swim short is to hopefully attract more people with a short swim. I'm going to register tomorrow. I really want to place well in this one.

"A" race in 2 weeks.

2013-08-18 7:28 PM

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Oh you make me laugh!!!

Take THAT! BSBR I like that!
2013-08-18 7:33 PM

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Welcome Rob... I think... I can't believe someone else hates this more than me!

At least we admit it.

Yeah buddy!
2013-08-19 2:06 PM
in reply to: #4831644

User image

Master
hiding in your closet
Thanks for the welcome. Let me clarify, I love triathlon, its the swimming, biking, and running I hate.
2013-08-20 9:17 PM

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Some idgit thinks I should pay 250 for a bike fit... ha ha ha ha ha ha!
2013-08-21 2:04 PM

Originally posted by stephsprint

Some idgit thinks I should pay 250 for a bike fit... ha ha ha ha ha ha!

JEEEEEZUM!!!

Sometimes I think it would be cheaper to be a drug addict than a triathlete.

Scrapping my "A" race because I can't scrape together 75 bux for the reg. fee.

And the money I had set aside for pedals and shoes is going toward that unexpected propane bill that I just got in the mail.

I'm going to use my frustrations for power and energy during my race on Sunday.

2013-08-23 9:01 AM

HI Suz & Steph,

I am Teresa from Michigan. I am 41 yrs old, married 21 yrs. I like to stay active and try to stay fit..

I am a beginner!! My first Sprint Tri is in 8 days..... I run 5k's, I've tried more distance running and it gives me problems due to leg reconstruction surgery in 2004.. So I began biking and now for the first time, I going to try to do a Sprint Tri. Truth is - I'm scared to death...

I seem to have the running down and the biking is good! Swimming, not so much!! Everyone keeps saying, 'you just need a wetsuit, its a life saver, so on and etc.. ' well I got one, and it felt like I weighed 10lbs more and couldn't move 50ft... Obviously, I now know, the O'neill Reactor suit is surf suit not a Tri suit.. See, I am uneducated about these things... so they all laughed at my silliness, and now I feel worse and less competent then before, with 8 days to go....But, I do not give up!! This weekend I am just going to swim as normal and see how it goes... The water is not warm here in Michigan, as we had a colder summer than usual :/

I've seen this site and thought I would give it a shot.. I've never used a discussion forum like this before.

Teresa
'I may not be the best, and I may not be the fastest, but I will always Finish!!!" - my personal motto
2013-08-24 7:35 AM
in reply to: Teresami

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Swimming is just a matter of... swimming. Just keep swimming. Breast stroke or whatever. Just do not stop, then your reward is the nice bike ride! when the running comes around, you'll be all nice and warmed up. My best 5ks are from sprint tris. So be prepared to PR.

You will be fine, you will finish, and you will be SO PROUD of yourself. You'll be a triathlete, and no one can take that away from you.
2013-08-24 8:02 AM

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
It's spendy alright. IF I were more consistent I would treat myself to some things... but I know better people who do the fit for 75.00 to 100.00. I have a womens specific design from Trek also, so I'm halfway there.

Just got back from a 2.25 run. MAN it's humid I was drenched.

Cheers on your race!
2013-08-24 8:37 AM

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Originally posted by comet the dog

Thanks for the welcome. Let me clarify, I love triathlon, its the swimming, biking, and running I hate.

I couldn't fail to disagree any less.
2013-08-24 6:07 PM

User image

Hi Everyone!

Suz & Steph - still taking on newbies to the group? I'm a 50 YO male in PA and just finished my first sprint. I have a decent background in running (XC since HS and regular 5-10 milers each year for the last several years). I've definitely got the bug and am currently working on my strategy for next year. Unfortunately I only scheduled this one and found out about 6 weeks before my tri that I had been training on a a fractured ankle. Looking to rest it up and heal it up before getting heavy back into it. I was in the pool today, the swim is definitely my weak spot. Planning to train hard this winter to smoke a few more sprints before I try to move up to an Olympic, possibly by the end of next season. I'm looking for advice, counseling and just a general sounding board for preparing my training.

Thanks in advance!

Brian

2013-08-25 5:15 PM

Good race/bad race.

GOOD:
Held my own and got second in my AG.
Remember the format? B/S/B/R.
First B I let everyone pass at the mass start but then pushed hard and passed most of the field.

The S was torture. 400 yrds never felt so awful. Dizzy, tired, ugh... I seriously thought I was going to drown. I side stroked (WHAT?) some and that helped me recover, but I felt like a squirrel in a swimming pool. The first B had worked me, but I ended up having the second fastest overall S split of the day, and I'd say it was the first fastest because the guy who beat me was part of a relay team.

Second B I pushed and thought I may have over cooked, but I never caught nor passed anyone. In fact I never saw anybody.

BAD:

I accidently cut part of the run course. So did a lot of people. I am pretty sure I would have still won 2nd AG if I hadn't. I was way out in front of the next closest guy exiting the "run out"

The best part was giving my little daughter a high five on the run. She (and my boy) give me such a smile and boost when I see them out there. They love watching me race.
2013-08-25 6:10 PM

User image

, Florida
Would love to join your group. I've been reading through many of the replies and hoping to fit right in. I'm signed up for my 1st sprint tri on Sept. 15th, the day after my 51st birthday. Thought it would be a great present to myself. I've always wanted to do a triathlon and was somehow always intimidated. I've been running for about 6 years now and usually do several half marathons a year. About 10 years ago I did a marathon and talk about some serious training time! I've been toying with the idea of doing another, but need to have a dedicated running buddy who wants to do it with me. Meanwhile, I've been running with 4 girls (ranging in age from 27-42 and then there's me). Three of them signed up for the sprint tri with me and we're all virgins! haha.
We've been training and trying to figure all this out. New gear and new activities for sure. Running seems so simple now. I'm super excited, so much that I already signed up for my next tri, but an olympic in November. This is all just too much fun!!! So before I go much farther, this Florida girl would love to join your group.
2013-08-25 9:53 PM

User image

Phoenix, Arizona
Hey!

I'd love to be in your group! I am a total beginner; haven't been in a race since about 7th grade, approximately 100 years ago. I just got a hybrid bike, my 1st since I was a kid. I love it! Typical me, thinking big, decided to check the whole tri thing out. I've been reading & researching, and I'm hooked. I'm on the verge of buying a faster bike, and I've been working on running & swimming. Not fun. I'm hoping to try a sprint the end of September. Any tips, thoughts, advice, etc. would be great!!

Thank you! :-)

Debby
2013-08-29 10:46 PM

My "A" race that I was sooo psyched for, then bummed because I couldn't afford the entry $$, is now a free event.

A free triathlon??? Yup, but here's the catch: it is not a timed event. Similar to a 'fun run' this is a 'fun tri'.

I still plan on red lining the whole thing.

Next race is a HM sometime in Sept. that I am grossly undertrained for. Then perhaps a hill climb in Oct. Then.......sleep perhaps??
2013-09-01 1:13 PM

I won!!!!

The inaugural off road tri at the local ski resort is all mine. And it was a BRUTAL sprint.
The swim was uneventful, some contact.
Bike was an out and back. Out was hard but Back was a suffer- fest.
Run was up part of the ski mountain. Not bad on it's own, but so grueling after that bike course.

Came back to the finish and later discovered I had a flat (shredded) tire. I borrowed the bike so now I have to go buy a tire/tube and return it.

There was a guy who was WAYYYY out in front of me on the bike, but he ended up going the wrong way and didn't come back until I had finished.

I really wanted to take this thing and I did.

SOOOO STOKED!!!

The problem for next year is that it will be the same weekend as a HIM I want to do.
HIM or defend my title?

Now to get ready for that Half Mary on Saturday that I'm not really ready for.

2013-09-04 11:01 PM

User image

Master
hiding in your closet
posted this in gear review and questions also but thought i would put it here too.

How does one go about choosing the correct areo bar. As far as the style or shape i would like them with the bend on the end so i can comfortably grip them. My question is what about length? Aside from trial and error is there a way to get the right ones with out much trouble. If it helps I ride a 58cm specialized roubaix, I am 6'2".
2013-09-08 8:58 AM

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Have you ever had a proper bike fit? If not... go get one and ask them if they have bars... they can fit you to the right bars at the same time.
2013-09-08 8:59 AM

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
WWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HHHOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I don't know what that feels like.. but I think I'd defend... hmmm.
2013-09-08 9:02 AM
in reply to: parit50

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Just keep going! Sounds like your enthusiasm is not an issue. Make sure you train smart so you don't hurt yourself... there's lots of good information on this site.

As far as bike speed... it's not the bike, it's the engine. ;-)
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Suz and Steph's Sprint, Oly and First Tri group! OPEN Rss Feed  

of 9