General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Does Raising Run Cadence Help Plantar Fasciitis? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-05-08 10:15 PM

User image

Los Gatos
Subject: Does Raising Run Cadence Help Plantar Fasciitis?

I have an ongoing problem with PF. Not super serious at this time - it doesn't stop me running but I certainly have to manage it - stretches, icing, orthotics etc. I don't get pain when I run but it's pretty sore afterwards.

A running friend of mine she had heard that raising your running cadence is a good way to ease PF. The logic is that your feet hit the ground with less force and it's therefore easier on your feet. She pointed me at this article:

http://www.life123.com/sports/cycling-running/running/running-cadence.shtml

Question - does anybody have any thoughts or experience with this?

Certainly I have a pretty low cadence - around 83 - so trying to raise it is maybe a good idea anyway (to run faster!)

Appreciate your thoughts.

2013-05-09 5:54 AM
in reply to: #4734250

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-05-09 7:28 AM

Regular
Subject: RE: Does Raising Run Cadence Help Plantar Fasciitis?

I was using a higher cadence with PF and it actually made mine worse.  I was told to ease into the higher cadence.  I'm out right now because after 2 years of PF I decided on the PRP injection but I plan to try to use a higher cadence when I start back.  I'll not do it every run and I may start with only half the run in the beginning.  Like every other change it takes some getting used to.

jami

2013-05-09 2:34 PM

Pro
well- running, in general, doesn't "help" PF.  However, it's generally less stressful on your PF to increase your cadence.  It's less stressful on about everything except perhaps some hip flexor tendons
2013-05-10 4:14 AM

I have (maybe I can say had) plantar fasciitis myself for about a year. My podiatrist prescribed me with Custom made orthotics which did not work at all. I understood that treatment efficiency is very individual. If something works for one it may not work for the other. I have found Taping very useful.

A few months ago as I was feeling much better with the pain I started two things:

1. doing a combination of stretching and strengthening exercises. I have found a good website summary explaining the subject of these exercises in:

http://www.plantar-fasciitis-elrofeet.com/plantar_fasciitis_exercises.html

2. Bought Nike free and started using them really really slow and easy. I was afraid doing it in an earlier stage.

I must say that doing these two things made a very big change in the way I felt with my feet until today that I can say I am completely over it.

Edited by Ezrida 2013-05-10 4:18 AM
2013-05-10 6:15 AM

Veteran
Niagara Region
I had switched to chi running last year and was developing so PF, I refocused on the technique really paying attention to the little stuff and within 2 weeks running totally pain free. But I slowed down and REALLY focused on technique. My cadence is 88-90 and it is very comfortable.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Does Raising Run Cadence Help Plantar Fasciitis? Rss Feed