General Discussion Triathlon Talk » ankle pain from...swimming?? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-05-09 10:07 PM

User image

New user

Montgomery County
Subject: ankle pain from...swimming??
So the past few weeks I have had this dull, sometimes sharp pain around my ankle. Its on the front of my ankle (which is weird), so extension hurts right at the curve. When the pain gets worse, it spreads to the inside of my ankle and up along the flexor digitorum longus (or so it seems). I get the most pain when swimming, as my extended ankle hits the water. Anyone have any experience with this, know what it is, or have suggestions of what to do? 

2013-05-10 7:38 AM
in reply to: #4735961

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: RE: ankle pain from...swimming??

Are you doing sets with fins? Sometimes if the fins are too long for your feet and body size, or you just haven't developed much ankle flexibility (this is the case for a lot of triathletes with a run-only background), the fins will pull your ankle down lower than you're used to and it can irritate the tendons. In that case I'd either find smaller/shorter fins (if it's a fit issue) and/or lay off the fins until your ankles are more flexible. (Sitting on your heels, writing the alphabet with your ankles can help with that.)

I have a competitive swim background and don't normally have the above issue, but I've sometimes gotten sore ankles if I do big sets of 50's, from imagining I'm still in high school and powering off the wall like a maniac. If you have a big pushoff, it could be unduly fatiguing those muscles and possibly irritating a tendon as well. You could also be aggravating it with running (esp. speedwork or races) or a poor cleat/pedal fit on the bike.

Another possibility (if you're more of a beginner) is that you're too aggressively pointing your toes when you swim and kick. You don't want to be straining to do so.

Not a doctor or PT, but a part-time swim coach. These are just some of the reasons I've seen my swimmers, or myself, have issues with ankles, shins, and calves.

Edited by Hot Runner 2013-05-10 7:40 AM
2013-05-23 5:05 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

I too have the same type of pain on the top of my ankle where the big tendon goes over it. I have been trying to work that tendon with "the stick" and do some resistance band exercises to strengthen. I have a feeling it is due to the fact I broke this ankle a couple years back and it just never regained the strength it needed. I haven't been using any fins but am considering a pull buoy just to give it some rest.
2013-05-29 11:20 AM
in reply to: amm86

User image

New user

Montgomery County
I also do not use fins, although I love them. I am going to do those strengthening exercises and see if that helps. I do think running is also a factor, especially if I am running barefoot on the beach.
2013-11-18 4:18 AM
in reply to: collyd123

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
I finished a 46 mile ultra marathon 2 days ago, I had pain where you mentioned in both feet by mile 20 I went to hospital the next day as I was unable to walk. I have been diagnosed with tendinitis in the digitorum longus. I notice your post was a few months back, so I was wondering how you got along with the injury, as being on crutches for x amount of days/weeks does not fill me with a sense of joy.
2014-08-18 4:33 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Does your thigh experience pain??

Edited by kennethgrankin 2014-08-18 4:35 AM

2014-08-18 4:34 AM
in reply to: collyd123

User image

I even had pain in the mid thigh and in the knee that appeared to be profound yet was not a consistent ache. I began utilizing my roller more continuous and the frightful scenes in the end a friend of mine recommended me to go oriental medicine Fairfax VA clinic I had their hot stone massage therapy that really helped me a lot and now it went away all together.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » ankle pain from...swimming?? Rss Feed