General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Newbie to tri and need help! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-05-19 12:01 AM

Subject: Newbie to tri and need help!
Hello I'm new to everything! Just getting started I live in Covington. Is there anyone in the area that could help me get started. I'd like to join a club sometime in hopes that it may help. Anything would be great thanks

2013-05-25 11:14 AM
in reply to: bfdast

User image

Subject: RE: Newbie to tri and need help!

What are you doing now in the way of training, and where?

I swim and run at PAC, and run and bike on the Trace on weekends.  I haven't joined a club or hired a coach or anything yet though.

2013-06-11 11:23 AM

User image

I too am just getting into (attemping) triathalons. I live in Madisonville and go to Franco's. I have two guys i work with that are also getting bikes etc. We will start riding soon. I am thinking of the Trace as well.

I am picking up my bike this Friday.

Maybe we can meet up for a ride in the near future.
2013-08-02 9:24 AM
in reply to: mudhog79

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I am in Mandeville and looking for some people to train with as well. I live less than a mile from the trace in Chenier and will probably be joining PAC for my swimming. If any of y'all or anyone else is looking for someone to train with or is willing to help a newbie get going let me know!

- Andrew
2013-08-06 7:50 AM
in reply to: YoungCajun13

User image

Veteran
Mandeville, la
Andrew,
I live in mandeville as well and in the greenleaves sub. I train at PAC for swimming as well and hit the trace often to either run or ride. Do you have any races coming up soon? If your looking for hill or rolling hill work I have a couple of maps of areas north of Abita that work great for that. My bike is currently in the shop for the next week so I wont be hitting the roads with it for a while. But I know a couple of us in here go to PAC a couple times a week. Ask questions about anything you want to know about the races or training.

Dawn
2013-08-06 12:12 PM
in reply to: trinity2014

Dawn

Thanks, I am actually heading over to PAC today to sign for my membership. What time is usually best for the pool? I was a member at Francos for a while and it was often hard to find a time when the lanes weren't all occupied.

And yeah, I would love those maps. Thanks.

I haven't picked a race out yet, was thinking about Sugarman but cant find where to sign up or whether its still open. Any of y'all planning on going?

-Andrew

2013-08-06 1:13 PM

User image

Veteran
Mandeville, la
Andrew,
The really good times to swim at PAC are in the early mornings..since they dont open the pool to the kids till after 9am..so from 445 till 9am is good..now evenings are another story. If you get there around 4pm its not bad..4-about 545 its not bad..once you hit the 6pm mark the water aerobics ladies take up like four lanes..ugh.. and some of the master swim classes are either ending or almost done. For really good swim times Id say after 630pm and your sure to get a lane. Otherwise, ive been with Pac for some time great gym.

http://www.bikelouisiana.com/bike-trails-search?region=Greater%20Ne...

Check out this website..if you look on the Greater New Orleans map you can pan through the different routes that have maps of different distances you are looking to find.

My next race is Augusta 70.3 so I wont be doing anything else after this one. I did two olympic and one sprint in the spring time. Crawfishman is an excent first timer race in Bush.. also, 5150 puts on a good spint distance and olympic distance in May..Id look at either one of those for the spring of 2014. River Roux is a half ironman that is in New Roads, La..that is if your up to that distance with hills.

Hope this helps..
Good luck
Dawn
2013-08-06 1:27 PM

User image

Veteran
Mandeville, la
http://www.imathlete.com/events/EventOverview.aspx?fEID=16606

Here is the link where you can register for Sugarman Tri... Its seperate from the other website link it gives you. Not everything it seems goes through Active.com these days.

Hope this helps.
Dawn
2013-08-10 6:51 AM
in reply to: the bear

John,

Thanks, I'm not sure what I was doing wrong but it comes up now. I'm stoked get in my first one, my bike is finally ready at the shop and I'm going to get mine training back in gear. I may even get my wife to give it a shot.

It's a pretty short race but is there anything in particular y'all are doing for training?

- Andrew
2013-08-10 9:05 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
I know you're out of town, but we just did an OWS at Sugarmill Pond last weekend, and will probably do another one in mid September.
2013-08-12 11:53 AM
in reply to: the bear

If it wasn't so far for me to go for an OWS I would definitely join y'all. Thanks

2013-08-12 3:38 PM

User image

Veteran
Mandeville, la
When I was doing the sprints and olmpic distances I would try to balance out my training for each sport throughout the week based on the distances you need to finish + an extra added to it. So if you needed to swim 400m I would slowly build up to lets say 600m. Same with the bike and run..if a 12 mile bike then work up to 15-20 miles. Make one day a week a brick or long run/ride. And the rest of the week more focused on the swim, bike and run. But do give yourself a rest day in there. Nutitrion isnt a big thing on sprints since most only last an hour and half. But once you hit the olympic distances then you need to consider a nutition plan. Otherwise, just keep a bottle of water or gatorade on the bike and just drink whatever they have on the run at the aid stations.

Hope this helps..and ask any other questions you might have.

PS. as for ows..i have been generally going to the State park in mandeville to do ows. Its been pretty warm out there lately. its pretty crowded out there now so just getting out and getting used to being in the lake helps if just to practice your stroke. As for your wife..id suggest Rocketchix races. They are all at LSU and its a pool swim. A great first timer race.

Dawn
2013-08-12 3:51 PM

Thanks Dawn!

I assume by nutrition you are referring to intake during the race? (i.e., gels, hydration, etc.) I want my second race to be at least an Oly so I have chosen to do one of the oly training plans, even though the sprint will fall in the middle I figured I would be covering plenty of distance to get ready for Sugarman.

I am getting so stoked for it, is the day after I take the LSATs so it'll be a great way to get rid of the tension from the test haha!

And thanks for the Rocketchix suggestion. I will have to pass that along to her.

Andrew
2013-08-13 7:07 AM

User image

Veteran
Mandeville, la
Andrew,
Your correct on the nutrition. Some dont do well with the bars, gels, and some drinks. Best to work on that way before your race so you dont run into any tummy issues on race day. Good that your striving for an Olympic. The 5150 series comes to Nola each may. Its around memorial weekend. I did it this year. Its a great race and venue is awesome. The swim is in an enclosed marina on the lakefront near UNO. But lots of time to prep. And training/racing is a great way to release stress and anything else going on. But good luck on all accounts. I know youll do awesome. IF you have any other thoughts, questions or concerns feel free to ask.

Dawn
2013-08-13 5:18 PM

User image

Originally posted by trinity2014 Andrew, The really good times to swim at PAC are in the early mornings..since they dont open the pool to the kids till after 9am..so from 445 till 9am is good..now evenings are another story. If you get there around 4pm its not bad..4-about 545 its not bad..once you hit the 6pm mark the water aerobics ladies take up like four lanes..ugh.. and some of the master swim classes are either ending or almost done. For really good swim times Id say after 630pm and your sure to get a lane. Otherwise, ive been with Pac for some time great gym. http://www.bikelouisiana.com/bike-trails-search?region=Greater%20Ne... Check out this website..if you look on the Greater New Orleans map you can pan through the different routes that have maps of different distances you are looking to find. My next race is Augusta 70.3 so I wont be doing anything else after this one. I did two olympic and one sprint in the spring time. Crawfishman is an excent first timer race in Bush.. also, 5150 puts on a good spint distance and olympic distance in May..Id look at either one of those for the spring of 2014. River Roux is a half ironman that is in New Roads, La..that is if your up to that distance with hills. Hope this helps.. Good luck Dawn

How'd you find those routes? 

2013-08-14 8:56 AM
in reply to: RussTKD

User image

Veteran
Mandeville, la
On im sure you can figure it out Russ..lol

2013-09-12 4:33 PM

User image

I'm not sure if you're still posting here, but there's a mini-sprint Tri at Pelican Athletic Club on 9/29.  300M swim, 6.5K bike, 3K run.
2016-05-01 8:37 AM
in reply to: #4748280

Sorry guys, been out for a while due to an injury at a fire. I'm just getting started back up but have never raced. Planning on doing some a few 5ks and hopefully by the end of the yr will have enough saved for a bike. I joined the YMCA hoping to do some swimming there then later finding somewhere on the lake to swim. If anyone needs a training partner let me know (I'm starting from scratch though!)
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Newbie to tri and need help! Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

newbie looking for help in the Chalmette area

Started by Espiritu46
Views: 1867 Posts: 7

2012-07-02 11:25 PM fitmomma2010

new to the sport and need some support

Started by nolatriguy
Views: 2129 Posts: 2

2011-09-15 3:48 PM agongora

OWS - Need a little help here

Started by GaryRM
Views: 1895 Posts: 9

2009-04-02 7:39 AM kritra

April Tri's - Do I need a wetsuit? Pages: 1 2

Started by GaryRM
Views: 6784 Posts: 33

2009-04-16 9:18 AM lsus2k

Old "Geezer" Newbie from Springhill just registererd for the HI-Fi-Tri

Started by 650savag
Views: 1083 Posts: 2

2008-08-06 8:14 AM roxygirl
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 30, 2012
author : jamesjbettis
comments : 4
Because triathlon can become a lifestyle, it can also become very complicated. But, it doesn’t have to.

date : November 9, 2010
author : lithelola
comments : 5
A bumbling non-athlete makes her determined way to the Nation's Triathlon finish line!
date : August 20, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
I'm doing my first tri Saturday. It starts at 7 AM and the forecast is calling for a high of 82 (air temp). Do I need to rush out and get a wetsuit?

date : February 7, 2008
author : nxm165
comments : 1
Initial adventures of another 40-something entering the world of tri.
date : January 29, 2006
author : seveerneb
comments : 44
How to consistently come in last place and enjoy it. By a real expert.

date : July 31, 2005
author : Mottyl
comments : 6
I had read the articles on BT, I'd trained, and I thought I had prepared. There were, however, a few things that I didn't internalize despite what I'd been told.
date : November 14, 2004
author : eclaire
comments : 0
Newbie blunders teach the mind to overcome the moment, and always have fun!

date : September 10, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 2
Your help is needed to keep BT the best of the best.