General Discussion Triathlon Talk » HITS Triathlon Series: Hunter Mountain Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-05-20 2:27 PM

User image

Rensselaer, New York
Subject: HITS Triathlon Series: Hunter Mountain
This is going to be my 1st Tri. I am running the sprint course. Just looking to see if any other BTers are running this race.

Train Safe

2013-05-20 4:26 PM
in reply to: MJSolt

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cold Spring, NY
Subject: RE: HITS Triathlon Series: Hunter Mountain
I'm doing the HIM, but may switch down to the Olympic. So I'll probably be there the day before. Good luck on your first tri!
2013-05-21 11:04 AM
in reply to: bdenehy

User image

Rensselaer, New York
Originally posted by bdenehy

I'm doing the HIM, but may switch down to the Olympic. So I'll probably be there the day before. Good luck on your first tri!

Good luck to you as well!
2013-05-21 12:15 PM

User image

New user
I'll be there for the HIM, my first at that distance.

Good luck to everyone doing it and congrats on your first tri MJSolt.
2013-05-22 9:45 AM

could have just been bad luck because the race had to be haphazardly-rescheduled, but i did the olympic last summer and it left much to be desired.

- wasn't well-organized, olympic participants had to hang out in the water for at least 40 minutes as the sprinters swam
- not a lot of volunteers/transition area traffic control
- run was 2/3rds trail, 1/3rd rambo-style, bushwhacking/running up and down rocky slopes

also quite hilly.

but if they had more time to prepare the race, it will probably be better.

pretty cool post-race swag though :-)
2013-05-23 8:13 AM
in reply to: ben.cohen.onon@outlo

User image

New user
they changed the bike and run courses this year to flatten them out some. I don't know the area so i guess that remains to be seen.

I had only seen positive reviews about the organization etc before signing (although i saw some complaints about the hilly course). Thanks for posting - I'll go back and see if i cannfind more feedback about the race.

2013-05-23 9:36 AM
in reply to: braciole

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cold Spring, NY
Originally posted by braciole

they changed the bike and run courses this year to flatten them out some. I don't know the area so i guess that remains to be seen.

I had only seen positive reviews about the organization etc before signing (although i saw some complaints about the hilly course). Thanks for posting - I'll go back and see if i cannfind more feedback about the race.

I did the half last fall and all-in-all thought it was a good race. There's a RR here http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp... I'm kind of disappointed that they changed the race to just another out-and-back bike for this year. Bike courses in NY are hilly and scenic, that's part of the appeal versus the flatter monotonous courses to be found in other parts of the US. This bike was hilly and I wouldn't have wanted to be doing the full (two loops) but for the half, it was totally manageable and interesting.
2013-05-23 10:11 AM

User image

Rensselaer, New York
2013-05-23 12:54 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cold Spring, NY
I just found this, which I posted last year about HITS Hunter and emailed to them. It's HITS-specific, so maybe more helpful than a RR that is about my individual race. I understand that they have since changed their ranking structure. Last year, they had a separate age group for every year, which was kind of crazy. Many of us placed 1st in our age group because we were the only ones in our age group :-)

“I thought they had all of their ducks in a row, they were organized, and I would do this race again. I don’t think I would pay full freight again, but with the new pricing structure, it is very appealing. A big thing for me is that they allow race day packet pickup (but recommend coming out on Friday). Much of the benefit of a semi local race is lost on me if I have to make a separate trip.

The transition areas are really nice with slotted bike racks and stools for all, so no fighting for space on a metal pole supported by sawhorses that always feel ready to tip over. Providing coffee was a nice perk too.

Support on the course was fine. The run aid stations supported the half and the full, so they had more offerings than I could think about on a half. There weren't as many volunteers as I am used to seeing, but for the number of folks on the course it was plenty. And I don't think they were local volunteers so much as employees and family of the organization. If they grow they should work on tapping local groups to support. Since this race was in their backyard, not sure how this works when they travel.

The one thing I knock them for and will bring it up with them is road signage. There was at least one police officer and a volunteer at each major intersection but there was a lot of open road between. I like to see signs like "caution-race in progress" on an open course so cars know what they are dealing with. [Follow up - They explained that there was plenty of signage as cars enter the actual race area, that wouldn't be seen from the bike course]

It was a pretty quiet race so if you like to see adoring crowds rocking the cowbells (and who doesn't?)you better bring your own....
I didn't stick around post-race but they seemed to have plenty to offer, food, massage, medical...

There was one other thing I didn’t like. They do an age group for every year, so not much of a group. So, with 40 finishers I was first among one male 37yrs old who finished. Not a big deal. As an amateur I'm always just racing myself.”
2013-05-28 7:15 PM
in reply to: 0

Hudson Valley Region
I am doing the Olympic -- my first at that distance. I signed up when it was $50 which made it an easier decision to try an Oly.

Go Team Bikeway!!

Edited by thirdstation 2013-05-28 7:23 PM
2013-05-29 9:10 AM
in reply to: thirdstation

User image

Rensselaer, New York

Originally posted by thirdstation I am doing the Olympic -- my first at that distance. I signed up when it was $50 which made it an easier decision to try an Oly. Go Team Bikeway!!

Good luck on your Oly!

2013-09-10 10:36 AM

User image

New user
Getting close . . . . . folks still in?

I am (kind of surprisingly given some other things I've had going on), and I'm kind of bugging about everything now. Training wasn't spot on, but I got through it all and I'm just looking to finish since this will be my first HIM I guess the weather is mostly on my mind today. Looked at temps today and the extended forecast (fwiw at this point) is sunny with a high of 65 and a low of 51. I do not react well to cold and I don't look forward to getting on the bike wet in sub-60 degree temps in the morning. Never raced this late in the year either, so I'm giving a lot of thought to what I'll wear. Also dealing with some late season aches and pains.

Anyway, looking forward to the race. Hope everyone's training is going well.
2013-09-13 4:29 PM

User image

New user
now forecast is a low of 40, high of 63 . . .
2013-09-14 2:58 PM

User image

Personally, since I don't care about what place I come in, I would take them time in t1 to change out of a wet top and put on something dry.

If its overcast and still chilly (40-50)I would put on a pair of legging, super thick socks - or use toe covers, and gloves. But I'm a wimp when it comes to the cold, and rather be slightly over heated then shivering for most of the bike.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » HITS Triathlon Series: Hunter Mountain Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Woman cyclist hit 1-mile from my house...

Started by Dream Chaser
Views: 1833 Posts: 4

2011-07-03 6:48 AM dkazup

One Hit Wonder-don't want to be that !

Started by Ddaniels
Views: 1518 Posts: 7

2011-02-27 12:24 PM Sevenride

Lake Placid Mini Triathlon Series

Started by Bigtalon
Views: 3040 Posts: 2

2009-06-30 8:29 PM Bigtalon

new triathlon series near nyc

Started by minou67
Views: 914 Posts: 2

2007-04-15 8:42 PM Rockland

SBR Triathlon Series

Started by amschrod
Views: 998 Posts: 5

2007-06-01 1:17 PM amschrod
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 26, 2013
author : mikericci
comments : 0
If you are a person who feels safer on the trails rather than the road, but you still want to race, this article will help you better train.

date : November 6, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 4
A Walmart bike, a borrowed road bike or a new carbon fiber bike? You don't need to break the bank for your first triathlon bike.
date : May 25, 2009
author : FitWerx
I read somewhere about "bar ends" to put on your handle bars, do you recommend them? Is this similar to adding clip on aero bars?

date : June 14, 2005
author : PirateGirl
comments : 1
The XTERRA off-road triathlons consist of a lake swim, a mountain bike trail ride, and a trail run. I decided to try the AZ Xtreme Desert XTERRA Tri as my 1st off-road triathlon, and my 3rd tri ever.
date : February 28, 2005
author : sherrick
A 26 week, 6 race series plan for faster performance. A SILVER/GOLD member plan.

date : December 13, 2004
author : kanoelani
My first experience as a triathlete and my post-season plan.
date : September 10, 2004
author : steve
comments : 1
Well I said that I was not going to do it this season, but I cracked. I broke down and bought a new bike. I went out and bought a shiny new Cannondale road bike.

date : September 10, 2004
author : steve
So after about 10,000 emails, dozens of phone calls, and one pre-race pasta dinner, the 1st meeting of the Steve's in a triathlon finally arrived.