General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New Cyclist, and it's horribly uncomfortable Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-05-21 6:15 AM

User image

Ellington
Subject: New Cyclist, and it's horribly uncomfortable
I have a used Tri Bike, tuned it up at the local shop and it's been ready to go with the goals of doing triathlons as I'm currently a runner.

1st:
When I ride, and set up in the arrow bars, I really have to push my neck up hard to look straight, and it's very pain full.

2nd:
My helmet keeps falling on my classes and I have to keep adjusting, the pain of the glasses is also digging into my nose and that's very painful.

I have not enjoyed cycling thus far, but I hope to iron out these kinks. Any suggestions?

2013-05-21 6:24 AM
in reply to: TheSuperman

User image

Regular
Niddatal, Germany
Subject: RE: New Cyclist, and it's horribly uncomfortable
Hi Rick,

1st:
Some neck pain is to be expected, if one isn't used to riding on the AERO bars. That goes away with practice. However, you should have your bike fit checked by an expert, if only to rule out fit problems that might contribute to the pain.

2nd:
Your helmet is too big for you. If you can't adjust it to the proper size via the built-in adjustment system, you'll have to buy a new, smaller helmet that fits your head. Similar with the glasses; if the nose piece can't be adjusted to fit your nose, you'll have to buy glasses that do fit.
2013-05-21 6:24 AM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Were you fit to the bike by a real bike fitter? Or did they just have you stand over it? Sounds like your first problem is improper bike fit.

As to the helmet, sounds like you don't have it adjusted correctly. It should be snug on your head, if it's sliding around It is not doing you much good when/if you wreck.

Sunglasses... if they don't feel good then you bought the wrong glasses...
2013-05-21 7:06 AM

User image

You need to get fit to the bike by a tri bike fitter.
You need to spend quite a bit of time training to get used to the position but it should never hurt even from day one
Your glasses are not right for cycling.
2013-05-21 9:50 AM
in reply to: Leegoocrap

User image

Ellington
Thanks for the advice guys. I guess I'll spend some time an make some adjustments. Right now, I think my helmet is my issue. If I can not fit it right, I'll get a new one. I did not get the bike professionally fitted, I just don't have the cash for that right now, as the shops want a ton of $$ for that. I used some info online, one was the link below that help me get started.

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CCY?PAGE=FIT_CALCULATOR&ANSWER...

2013-05-21 11:35 AM

User image

Expert
Fort Wayne, IN
When i got my tri bike I was professionally fitted and on the first ride realized my neck could not handle aggressively positioned aerobars. I have two herniated disks my my neck. I got refit with a new longer stem that raised the aerobars about an inch and went for a long ride. My neck bothered me and when i got home I realized I had lost significant strength in my right hand that lasted for two weeks. I went bake a 3rd time and got the longest stem they had that raised the aerobars another inch or so. I'm not as aero, but my neck could handle this setup. That was a couple of years ago. I still have the same setup.

2013-05-21 11:48 AM
in reply to: nickster

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho
Getting comfortable on a road bike can be tough.
Getting comfortable on a tri specific bike can be waaaayy tough.

Get you helmet and glasses fixed, then ride LOTS. I'm like you , in that I don't have the $$$ to get professionally fitted, but i think you can get pretty close on your own.
2013-05-21 11:59 AM

User image

Iowa City, Iowa
Just wanted to chime in here too. I am a fellow runner going into triathlons and experienced the same neck pain as you did. It has not lasted into the night after a morning ride but it is something I have noticed. As others have mentioned it will likely go away with continued practice. I have aero bars on my road bike and I have found that makes it somewhat more comfortable for some reason.....either way I am looking forward to getting a cycling base to get the kinks worked out to being the "norm"

Good luck!
2013-05-21 4:20 PM

User image

Master
Houston
Fit is king. It makes a bigger difference than you think.

That said there is a balance on $$ and value.

My fitter has 3 types of fit they offer. A "Basic" fit for $100, a DFU fit for picking a new bike (or getting a custom bike), and a RETUL fit for $300.

Even with the basic fit he spent time evaluating my position, and had me come back in after I ordered a seat post from another shop that he hooked me up with that carries my brand.
2013-05-21 5:22 PM
in reply to: NewClydesdale

User image

Regular
You should spend the $$$ to get fitted properly or you will eventually have a clothes hanger/dust collector hanging in your garage because you find biking is just not worth the pain.

Shop around at the LBS and see what they will do for fits. I spent $80 on my last fit, while cheap, got me where I feel very comfortable. I had 3 sessions to get everything dialed in properly. Raised my bars 10mm, raised my seat 10mm, moved my seat back about 30mm, adjusted my cleats so get rid of knee pain, etc etc. I could barely ride for an hour before getting fitted.

Helmet -- get yourself the proper size of helmet if you can't adjust it so it doesn't slip down.

Like I said before --- if you are not enjoying it you will eventually give it up and then you will have all that money sitting there for no reason
2013-05-21 5:31 PM
in reply to: spie34

User image

Regular
East Wenatchee, Washington
I have the same issue. My bike has been professionally fit, but as an older guy with some neck issues, the "head up" aero position is simply uncomfortable.

The solution as noted by others is a longer stem to raise the bars higher. You'll be less aero, but it's pretty hard to ride well if you are in agony. I still have neck pain when I ride, but it stops as soon as I sit upright and immediately goes away when I hit T2. I've also noticed that simply riding longer does allow some level of conditioning....so if you can get the right adjustment, you should be able to get a set up that you can at least tolerate.

Good luck

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New Cyclist, and it's horribly uncomfortable Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Breaking in my uncomfortable newish wetsuit vs getting a whole new one

Started by agarose2000
Views: 6153 Posts: 8

2009-05-19 2:42 PM agarose2000

police officer shoves cyclist in New York Pages: 1 2

Started by dmulder28
Views: 4378 Posts: 48

2008-07-30 9:25 PM chirunner134

Riding with new cyclists

Started by ArkyJones
Views: 999 Posts: 7

2006-10-10 11:36 AM rkreuser

Old cyclist, new clipless pedals

Started by sshewett
Views: 1214 Posts: 10

2006-03-14 1:44 PM wsm9363

New Cyclist

Started by mbeckert
Views: 1290 Posts: 10

2005-10-04 2:14 PM oipolloi
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
Here are five steps to ensure that you keep your promise to yourself to get you to that first triathlon.

date : August 5, 2008
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
Is your bike seat uncomfortable? Are your parts going numb? This article discusses the important concepts of bicycle seat neuropathy, treatment and prevention.
date : March 6, 2008
author : scubachic9999
comments : 4
Already a cyclist and not a bad swimmer, I figured all I had to do was build up to running a few miles and I’d be ready to go. The challenge invigorated me, and I ran out to buy new running shoes.

date : August 7, 2007
author : sportfactory
comments : 1
Cyclists may be at risk of developing CTS due to long hours spent in one position. These eight tips can help you prevent carpal tunnel syndrome while grinding out those long hours on the bike.
date : December 11, 2006
author : Nancy Clark
If you have ever felt confused by the plethora of commercial sports fuels, you are not alone. Runners, cyclists, and other athletes inevitably ask me, "What’s the best energy bar? gel? sports drink?"

date : May 30, 2005
author : Team BT
Hamilton has vowed to fight the allegations and “clear his name.” Is he guilty? You decide.
date : April 18, 2005
author : Nancy Clark
The following is a sneak peak at Nancy Clark’s upcoming book on endurance nutrition - The Cyclist’s Food Guide: Fueling for the Distance

date : January 24, 2005
author : Team BT
Shanna Armstrong’s Journal Entry January 21, 2005 - The Race Across America