General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Multiple bike related questions Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-05-26 9:10 PM

Subject: Multiple bike related questions
Hello,

I've been training for a few weeks now on a friend's bike (who is about the same size I am).
He basically wasn't using it anymore and told be I could borrow until I get my own bike.
The Bike is a 2005 Giant TCR C3 (road bike with a carbon frame and 105 groupset).
I'm pretty happy with it and I don't need anything more now.
My goal, although I'm new to triathlon, is to get competitive in my age group (just turned 30).
I intend to keep this bike probably for this season and the next one before getting a TT bike.

So here are my questions:
- Would it make sense to get retul fitted now knowing that I will be using this road bike for? Or should I just get a "regular fit"?
- Currently, my lower back becomes tense as I ride, what are the things to look at to try to relieve that pressure?
- When I'm riding (at a medium effort), I'm averaging about 16mph, which must be pretty terrible because everybody and their grandparents pass me, especially on climbs. Am I missing something??? (I'm trying to keep my cadence in the upper 70s-80's range).
- I'm interested in acquiring a power meter: this bike has a GXP bottom bracket, if I get a Quarq will I be able to use it on most bikes afterwards? (without getting fitted I'm most attracted to the BMC TM02).

That's it for now! (I think )
Thank you all for your advices,
Cheers
Andre

2013-05-26 9:44 PM
in reply to: Dayday83

Regular
Seal Beach
Subject: RE: Multiple bike related questions
Hi Andre,
Welcome to BT. I guess my question for you is what do you mean competitive in your age group? What is competitive in your eyes? Make Kona? Top 1/3 finish in the age group? Or finish races? What events are you looking to do? Sprints? 140.6?

Personally, I would find a good fitter that can fit you on that bike and make you comfortable. When you go to make the upgrade to your new bike, have a full fitting done.

Are you planning on using a coach? If you are looking to be competitive I would recommend it. I think you are putting the cart before the horse when it comes to speed. Speed comes with time. You need to build form, and work on developing your heart rate zones before messing with speed.

I wouldn't worry about a power meter right now. When you get your bike, worry about a power meter.

Don't buy a bike by looks. Make sure it fits you. When you go to buy a bike, you need to have a full fitting first.
2013-05-26 10:09 PM
in reply to: frozensurfer

Hello,

Thank you for your reply.
I intend to do only sprint and olympics starting next season. No long courses for me!
By competitive, I mean to be in FOP, maybe get lucky and get a podium in a small local race (in a few years ).
I had a coach but we went our separate way and I'm looking for a new one right now.
I'm currently training about 4-5 times a week for a total of 6-7hours.
Finally, I know I need to get fitted before choosing a bike and my question was more in relation to compatibility between BB.
Thanks again,
Cheers
2013-05-26 10:14 PM

User image

Master
Houston
Triathlon is crazy competitive. When you first come into the sport it seems like a bit of a fringe, and that maybe there won't be that many doing it.

When you do your first race you realize that isn't the case, and those who are doing it are largely quite good at what they do.

It is a complete blast, even if you are in the back of the pack. But unless you have an athletic background, preferably in endurance sports, don't plan on being competitive for the podium right away, just get out there and do your first race or 2. Then you will have a much better idea of where you stand.

Welcome to the addiction.
2013-05-26 10:17 PM

User image

Master
Houston
I forgot to actually answer your questions.

For a fit. There are various levels of fit but you want to get a reasonable fit on the bike you are on as soon as you can.

If you have the option I would probably just get a basic fit now, and then look at getting a fit on a fit bike (Guru DFU or other) before buying your next bike.

You can swap around a power meter between bikes without a lot of headache, however depending on the type you may have to move the wheel with the power meter on it.
2013-05-27 7:47 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Ontario Canada
I would definately get a fitting done, but probably just a good basic one that, may help with the back issue, also the more you ride the stronger your back will get and the lower back soreness may go away on its own, It sound to me like you are trying to push to big a gear, you want to try to get a cadence in the 85 to 90 rpm range avg for your ride not the 70 to 80 range you are working in move to a lower gear and spin faster as you get stronger you will find that you will be able to move up to a bigger gear and still keep your cadence in the 85-90 range till you find your sweet spot as you do you will see your speed start to come up from your current 16 mph to 17,18,19, but it takes time and doesn't happen overnight thats for sure just be patient speed will come. I wouldn't worry about a power meter just yet, save it till you move to your future tri bike.

See If there are some local spin, computrainer classes around you can maybe join for the winter off season, when I started Biking I was able to hook up with the local tri club for there winter spin classes( done on your trainer and Bike), my speed went from a comparable 16.2 Mph in the fall to a very respectable 18.5 to 19.2 avg over the course of the winter, did it again this winter and while not seeing huge gains like in the first year, this spring I am knocking on the 20 mph door and hope to break thru it this year.

Edited by RRH_88 2013-05-27 8:00 AM

2013-05-27 8:54 AM
in reply to: NewClydesdale

Thank you for your input.

Far from me to think that I can come in and win a race!!!
I look at the times of the winners for different events and it is incredible.
But I do have an athletic background (although not in endurance sport) and I am competitive by nature so I always aim high. I'm sure that after my first event I will have more info to see were I'm standing and might need to readjust my expectations.
Cheers
2013-05-27 8:57 AM
in reply to: RRH_88

Thank you and congrats on your improvements.
Sounds good, I'm also thinking of getting a trainer for the winter. I leave in NY and the winter are not really compatible with outdoor exercise (at least not for me).
Best
2013-05-27 8:57 AM
in reply to: RRH_88

Thank you and congrats on your improvements.
Sounds good, I'm also thinking of getting a trainer for the winter. I leave in NY and the winter are not really compatible with outdoor exercise (at least not for me).
Best
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Multiple bike related questions Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Multiple Race Training Question

Started by BucNIowa
Views: 1250 Posts: 4

2008-01-30 1:55 AM vinnieds

2 bike-related questions, por favor...

Started by 1stTimeTri
Views: 1820 Posts: 11

2007-03-07 1:27 PM 1stTimeTri

age related question

Started by gall1972
Views: 1529 Posts: 25

2006-08-21 8:22 PM harryj

Newbie Question: Multiple Tri's and training

Started by schmize
Views: 500 Posts: 1

2006-03-20 10:26 AM schmize

2 Swim related questions...

Started by MAtriMom
Views: 894 Posts: 17

2005-12-13 9:49 AM drewb8
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 15, 2012
author : mikericci
comments : 0
How do you train for an A-race that is six months away? How do you peak for multiple A-races?

date : October 28, 2009
author : AMSSM
I was just recently diagnosed with MS, but I'm also very accepting and ready to move forward - especially in my triathlon training and I would love input and training tips.
date : September 14, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
He is a multiple Ironman, prolific poster, blog-inspire-leaver and PMer, and is moving through his injuries with grace, dignity, and continuing generosity for other triathletes.

date : January 7, 2007
author : KevinKonczak
Discussions on swimming, observing, asking questions, flip-turns, flexible ankles, rotation, Stretch Cordz, skiing substitution and resting.
date : June 4, 2006
author : mikericci
comments : 1
Information compiled on various plans from the most common user questions.

date : September 3, 2005
author : Michael Silva
Without paying a personal trainer or a PT on a regular basis, is there a regimen of exercises I can do to strengthen all around?
date : May 3, 2005
author : AMSSM
During training and endurance events, athletes should be careful not to ingest more fluids than necessary.

date : April 3, 2005
comments : 1
Mark Allen, six time Ironman Champion, answers the most common questions beginners have in getting into triathlons.