REVOLUTION3 Triathlon
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 49m 47s
Overall Rank = 207/717
Age Group = 50-54M
Age Group Rank = 13/33
Pre-race routine:

Up at 4am, shower, breakfast, coffee>out the door. DW asks 'do you have your wetsuit?' No. Get ready to leave again...'running shoes?' No. (How does she know these things?)

We finally get underway and the drive is straightforward. Well hydrated. Stop at DD for coffee/bagel to go. Get to Quassy for rockstar parking at 5:45am-right in the lot on the hill. Got my timing chip, tatoos, bib. It's all good.

Set up transition, wetsuit on, fill bottles with frozen gatorade as it's going to be hot. Premix is all set up and cold. Ice cubes added. Kiss my wife and down to the water.

Event warmup:

Water is warm. I warmup and wait, but not too long as I'm in the first wave. Can't hear a thing with my earplugs in, but people are pointing to my green cap and yelling at me to get in the pen as my wave is leaving. Sprint to the other side of the beach with a whole minute to spare. Hr=131...Deep, slow breathing and it's down to 102 when the start happened. Very much in control, this time.
Swim
  • 28m 20s
  • 1450 meters
  • 01m 57s / 100 meters
Comments:

Got myself calmed down for the race start. Nearly missing it had my heart jumping. I'm better at controlling the things that are in my control now.

Settled into a rhythm. I did not want to breathe too hard too early and forced a nice easy pace. Did not find anyone's feet that worked for me so it was solo swimming with the 125 people all around me in my wave of 45+ males.

Followed someone on the back stretch for a while, enough to take us off course to the right and cost us some time, but the swim in on the last 0.3 was solid.
What would you do differently?:

Not much to do. No one could see that second buoy. I know I couldn't so it made sense to follow the masses.
Transition 1
  • 02m 19s
Comments:

I rocked this transition. Jogged away from the water at the fastest pace I could handle. Up the slight hill. I had a great spot right near the bike exit. All the 'Revolution Athletes' got double spaces too, so I had room for a pail to sit on. It rocks to be crazy.

For those people who don't realize how important transition is, I decided to push it and run/jog this time and try to be as efficient as possible. I knew what I had to do and did it. I passed 26 people OA and picked up one spot in my AG with a fast transition... 'Nuff said.

Nothing
Bike
  • 1h 24m 35s
  • 25.68 miles
  • 18.26 mile/hr
Comments:

Picked up only one AG spot but I moved up 26 in T1 and 40 more on the bike overall.
That was as hard as I could go knowing I had to run a 10K still. Ejected my bottle of frozen gatorade which was thawed, from my rear holder exiting T1, so I thought I might be down on liquids.

Hang onto my bottles better-secure them tighter.
Transition 2
  • 01m 20s
Comments:

My transition spot was very good. Too bad I didn't listen to where to exit for the run. Tried to go out the way I came in and was told to run through to the other end for the run. Oops. Still wicked fast.

Everyone was pretty fast, though. I picked up three spots OA and none in my AG during this transition.

Go the right way. :)
Run
  • 53m 12s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 08m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

Ironic that I stayed the same position for both my division and overall. Not sure if this is a mistake or not. I was passed by lots of younger people and didn't seem to pass too many people. I was looking down a lot, though.

My pace was exactly what I'd hoped for, if you subtract 3 minutes, so I held it together pretty well, when I was moving.

Drink more.
Post race
Warm down:

Ice bath-repeated as often as I could take it as I knew tomorrow will be a real challenge. Having my wife there for support helps a lot.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Heat, hydration and pacing. I tried to push it right to the edge and went over.

Event comments:

The Rev puts on a classy race. I love this venue!
Now I have to do the 1/2 IM tomorrow...Hope to just finish...

Last updated: 2012-10-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:28:20 | 1450 meters | 01m 57s / 100meters
Age Group: 15/33
Overall: 274/717
Performance: Good
First turn buoy (orange)=9:36 HR=139 Second turn buoy=9:57 HR=141 To Muscle Milk Arch=9:37 HR=142
Suit: Helix Full
Course: Inverted triangle. Two yellow site buoys on each side and then an orange turn buoy. Each buoy ~0.1miles. Severe sun glare on the back side made most people go off course in every wave.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:19
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:24:35 | 25.68 miles | 18.26 mile/hr
Age Group: 14/33
Overall: 207/717
I'm using their data. Rolling course. I was trying to race this on the edge. My HR was fast for the swim and stayed that way on the bike. The goal was to stay at my threshold HR of 145 for the bike. I tried to push as much as I could but keep it from going too high into the 150's. Had to slow a lot during the last hilly 5 miles as I thought I might blow up at that point and it was getting hot. Hr was ~152-153 for the first 5 miles or so and slowly I let it come down to 148-149 over the next 5 miles. During the next 10 miles it drifted to 145ish.
Wind: Little
Course: Lollipop-riding the handle out and back with a loop at the top.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 190
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:20
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:53:12 | 06.2 miles | 08m 41s  min/mile
Age Group: 13/33
Overall: 207/717
Performance: Average
Yeah, this is where walking the razor's edge will cut you. Was able to hold the first 2 miles pretty well, but HR was 145-145, and I wanted 140 or under. I know the time bomb is ticking and I just don't know how far I'll get before it goes off. Mile 3, as it turns out, was where I blew up or more precisely, cramped. My right quad just over the knee went from twitching a few times to a hard spasm. When you are sore and cramping, it is not smart to try to pull your foot up to your butt as you will then induce a hamstring cramp. Those hurt. I then pounded and worked the spasm out. This took 44 seconds and was repeated very shortly after for 1:06 and then the last time for 40 more seconds. A total of 3+minutes, standing rubbing out my cramps while peeps just jogged past me. Then I started back slowly. Able to then find a pace which was slow enough to not cause repeat spasm. Going downhill for a couple of miles and going slower helped everything but the final hill hurt and I almost had to stop several times.
Course: Small loop away from the park and back.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2013-06-01 5:16 PM

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
Subject: Rev3 Quassy - Olympic Rev

2013-06-01 8:47 PM
in reply to: #4763641

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cold Spring, NY
Subject: RE: Rev3 Quassy - Olympic Rev
Solid racing Dale! If we went off in the same wave I would have seen a lot of you on this course. Next year I'll be sure to look you up beforehand. There was no thread on here for the Oly and I was too slow to think of checking on the half-rev thread for you hardcore types doing the rrevolution. Hope you have a great race tomorrow.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Rev3 Quassy - Olympic Rev Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Rev3 Quassy - Olympic Rev

Started by Ned42
Views: 1129 Posts: 2

2012-06-04 4:28 PM ratherbeswimming

Started by littycm
Views: 1086 Posts: 1

2012-06-03 5:41 PM littycm

Started by SunnyS
Views: 1389 Posts: 1

2011-08-03 2:03 PM SunnyS

Started by kj_tri
Views: 1387 Posts: 1

2011-07-28 8:47 AM kj_tri

Started by mll1605
Views: 1891 Posts: 3

2011-06-05 2:44 PM jmk-brooklyn
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race

date : August 2, 2010
author : HerveB
comments : 8
I looked at the swim buoys and start thinking, "Man! How am I ever going to swim that? That looks like a very long distance from the bridge. I have never done it in one go." There's no turning back.
date : October 20, 2008
author : araqnid
comments : 0
After doing duathlons for the last couple of years, I decided to go for a triathlon. Starting with an Olympic-distance race perhaps wasn't wise, but it was fun (of a sort).

date : September 12, 2007
author : johnrunner
comments : 6
Race report on the Chattanooga Waterfront Tri - Beginners Point of View. This was my first Olympic length triathlon and also the first time I had done a race with cycling shoes instead of cages.
date : August 31, 2004
author : smeeko
Bricks refer to training on two disciplines during the same workout.

date : August 31, 2004
author : smeeko
Drafting, open water swimming, hydration bricks and aero bar tips for your first Olympic triathlon race.
date : August 30, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 3
Program details of the 20 week olympic triathlon training plan including details on the swim, bike and run routines.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 2
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week olympic triathlon training plans.