United States
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 14m 28s
Overall Rank = 40/378
Age Group = M35-29
Age Group Rank = 3/31
Event warmup:

Went for a short run with a friend, then a relaxing swim.
Swim
  • 15m
  • 880 yards
  • 01m 42s / 100 yards
Comments:

I have been experimenting with increasing my turnover, which is something I know I need to do to push into the next tier, but ultimately I didn't want to mess with anything on race day, so I swam a relaxed pace that I knew would get me out of the water feeling absolutely fresh and ready to crush the bike. Navigation was good - started wide and didn't tangle with anyone. The middle third I was some 20 meters towards shore from the pack, which I don't understand, because I was right on the line to the next buoy the whole time. Only thing I could think of was that the middle marker between the buoys had floated out, and they were chasing it, but my gain, their loss.
What would you do differently?:

Well, swim faster! I'm getting some video analysis this week to figure out what needs work besides just turnover. My issues are all technique, as I'm strong enough and swim fit enough to do it all day. I didn't work on the swim much at all over the winter, and not surprisingly it didn't improve at all. I've got the bike and run dialed in now, so it's time to look to the water. It's simply not possible to coach myself any further, I need some coaching.
Transition 1
  • 02m
Comments:

T1 has a jog to the transition area. Honestly my best T1 yet. I don't have the exact split anymore, so it's rounded

Nothing, this was the model.
Bike
  • 33m
  • 13 miles
  • 23.25 mile/hr
Comments:

I crushed on the bike. I missed my goal time by a minute, but I'm not at all bummed. My new bike (QR CD01) is ridiculously comfortable and fast as hell. I geared one the hills too aggressively and cooked myself for a little bit, which I would say accounted for about :15 of recovery at a time when I should have been flat out, but it's hard to call it a mistake, it was a conscious choice, I knew the course, it just took a little too much out of me at that point. I was in the mix with the lead group the whole time and was hanging no problem. I've learned how to race the bike, and I'm very happy about it!

MINOR issue getting the shoes on, couldn't get the tongue to sit flat on top of my feet, it just curled under when I slipped them on. Some body glide will take care of it, but for a sprint it just wasn't worth messing with. I tried fixing it once or twice, but it wasn't going to give. If it were a longer ride I would have done something about it.
Transition 2
  • 01m
Comments:

Pretty smooth transition, but for some reason my HR skyrocketed here. I *think* it's because I know the run course and was nervous with anticipation. I didn't have the same HR coming off the bike, I remember being pretty calm coming into T2.

Nothing.
Run
  • 23m 25s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

My legs felt fine, but coming out of T2, my HR was out of control, and I was breathing heavily. No idea why, but I had to get it down. Trotted for the first mile and was setting up a lousy run overall, but the steep climb settled me down and I regained control as my body took over from my mind. Halfway up the hill I was back inside myself, and started running, and from that point on ran very strong.

Hard to say. There wasn't a fitness issue here, and from *where* I recovered my HR, I can only guess my mind was in control of my heart starting the run. I've done plenty of bricks and this hasn't happened before. I guess I need to get to a happy place coming out of T2? It was a little frustrating, because I have spent so much time improving the run and I really wanted to crush it, but it wasn't in the cards. Hard to be too upset though, I made the podium!
Post race
Warm down:

Hugs and kisses from my beautiful kids, and an apple, which was AMAZING.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

the HR spike starting the run. My crappy swim.

Event comments:

More timing chip issues, thankfully not with me this time, but the splits aren't available so I don't have the exact times above. The RD looked pissed off after the race, possibly at the timers.
For me? Are you kidding? I made podium at TriRidgefield! This is a very competitive race and serious athletes show up from around the state. There were a few names missing, but nothing that would have changed my outcome. I am very proud of this race, a hell of a way to start the season!

Last updated: 2013-06-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:00 | 880 yards | 01m 42s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/31
Overall: 0/378
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:33:00 | 13 miles | 23.25 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: rollers
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:23:25 | 03.1 miles | 07m 32s  min/mile
Performance: Average
HR was through the roof for about 5 minutes, and I went slow to get it down.
Course: Slow uphill for the first mile, then a ~200yard steep climb, followed by rollers and a big downhill.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-06-03 7:35 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
Subject: Ridgefield Sprint Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ridgefield Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ridgefield Sprint Triathlon

Started by fisherman76
Views: 945 Posts: 2

2012-06-04 11:32 AM Rudedog55

Started by linneyj
Views: 1113 Posts: 3

2011-06-11 8:16 PM linneyj

Started by KellyCByrne
Views: 884 Posts: 1

2011-06-08 11:20 AM KellyCByrne

Started by Rudedog55
Views: 1702 Posts: 4

2011-06-07 12:44 PM wstchstrTriathlete

Started by ering305
Views: 1156 Posts: 1

2010-06-09 8:23 PM ering305
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 9, 2009
author : TexasHeatRunner
comments : 5
At mile ten I heard a noise like I had gotten paper in my spokes or something. I looked but saw nothing but a few seconds later my rear tire blows out.

date : June 3, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 0
Are these races too close together to give me any sort of recovery? Will I be spent and unhappy racing back to back weekends and then again two weeks after that?
date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.

date : April 1, 2008
author : trvw
The challenge? The accomplishment? I want to do this because it is an opportunity to live life. The event is an indoor sprint triathlon. I get to experience the challenge on a safer scale.
date : February 12, 2008
author : mikericci
This plan is designed to make you go faster. 3 workouts per week in each sport, 2 days of strength training and core work. The maximum volume is around 10 hours toward the end of the 12 weeks.

date : October 4, 2007
author : AdamA
comments : 4
I was passing others who were saying, "Good job, 587" (that was my race number). People were cheering me on. These were the nicest people I have ever been around!
date : September 3, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
Since your “A” race is your marathon, which you stated in your question, this should be your main focus. I encourage you to taper a bit for the sprint distance triathlon.

date : July 30, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
Since I didn't have much time and since it's a super sprint, am I OK just go to at the training relatively hard through Thursday or even Friday?