General Discussion Race Reports! » Island Lake Triathlon, Spring - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Island Lake Triathlon, Spring - Olympic Course - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Brighton, Michigan
United States
Element Events
40?F / 0C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 09m 46s
Overall Rank = 135/
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 4/
Pre-race routine:

Laid out everything according to sport. Double checked that I had enough gel and that water bottles were filled. Stuffed everything into multiple bags. Had some spaghetti with salmon for lunch and leftovers for dinner. Butterflies galore, so had some trouble falling asleep.
Event warmup:

Woke up about a 1/2 hour before my alarm went off. Quick breakfast and took forever to pack the car. Got to the race site 15 earlier than planned, but it worked out well for parking, etc. Didn't do much of a warm-up this time related to the cold weather and not wanting to stand in cold sweat while waiting for the race to start. Walking around kept me warm while the race was delayed 15 min because of the fog.

Note: bring cruddy sandals next time.
Swim
  • 30m 59s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 04s / 100 meters
Comments:

I probably started out a little too strong for the first 200m. Around 200 or 300m mark, a girl kept on hitting me on the left side. Finally, I stopped swimming, treaded water as she continued to lean right and then swam on and passed her on her left.

When exiting the water, my foot just happened to find a random spot in the lake were there was a dip in the sand. Plop! I fell right down as I was trying to take off the top half of the wetsuit. Oops.

Time was 30:59. Approx 4 min faster than last fall! :D
What would you do differently?:

I hung back, like I usually do for the start of the swim. However, I was really passing people for the first 50m. I should probably start more towards the front line now, I guess.
Transition 1
  • 04m 25s
Comments:

Because of the aforementioned cold weather, I had originally planned to wear super thin socks in my bike shoes. However, upon stripping off the wetsuit, it didn't feel too particularly cold - probably r/t adrenaline or something. I don't feel like I had too much of an issue getting the wetsuit off - it was more that because it was my first time with a wetsuit I didn't have the transition to bike stuff down. In other words, I guess maybe I should have had my tri shorts on under the wetsuit? 'Cause it was a pistol to put those on! Also the compression sock were really hard to get on, too. Ended up going with just a t-shirt, which the drag on the bike was annoying, but the extra warmth was good.

Put my race belt on my bike or something! I didn't realize until I was down the row and was looking at athletes ahead of my that I forgot my race belt. I had the clothing layered in order of putting them on and the race belt was under a jacket that I thought I was going to wear. Had to double back to get it. :(
Bike
  • 1h 32m 28s
  • 24.8 miles
  • 16.08 mile/hr
Comments:

Did my best to actually go all out on the bike portion. The course loops twice and on the second loop I lost my water bottle! :( Thanks be to God that no one hit it as it was rolling down a hill. It ended up crossing over to the other side of the road and landing in the gravel. Not sure how much time I lost picking it up.

No matter how out of it/tired I am, I'm gunna make sure that water bottle is back in place before letting go!
Transition 2
  • 01m 31s
Comments:

Took my time with T2, which, in retrospect, I'm not too happy with. But, since it was the first tri of the season, I think I was being overly cautious. Changed into running shoes quickly and wasted a few extra seconds just to make sure that I had everything before leaving for the run.

Could have been waaay more fluid. Next time, just dump everything into my hat and sort it out as I'm running out of transition.
Run
  • 1h 00m 26s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 09m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

I really like the run course - except for the grass parts. Lol. Around mile 3, I passed a girl who was cheering me on like I was heading for the finish line (there was a sprint being held at the same time), but I told her I still had one lap to go - to which she responded "Me, too!". Since the loop was a sort-of lollipop shape, I was able to exchange more words of encouragement with her went I passed the turn around and saw her as I was heading back on the "stick part of the lollipop".

Started to die before I saw her around mile 3 actually. When I was heading around the same spot on the second loop, I saw a guy way ahead of me who was going at a pace that I felt I could pass (with one mile to go). Ended up catching up to him just past the sharp downhill. I kinda slowed my pace a little bit to entice him to finish strong with me. But, for the last 300 I really busted it out. The guy stayed with me and I just barely edged him out (by like a half a second or just a second) at the end).

Just plain work on running more. Nutrition was fine for the run and I'm happy that I had energy to finish strong at the end. Got tired around one point that probably messed up my average ppm, but overall I'm really happy with the run.
Post race
Warm down:

STRETCHED. Lol. Felt very good. Chatted with a fellow racer who was watching over someone's dog (very cute! I think it was a maltese??). Snacked on a bit of post-race food and waited around for my results to be posted.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

First time with a wetsuit in T1.
Forgot my race belt in T1 and had to double back.
Lost my water bottle on the bike course.
Took my time in T2.

Event comments:

A check at the results showed that I was 4th in my AG ... out of 4 people. :( Apparently I was 2nd in my AG for the swim.... aaaand it went downhill from there. :P

Last updated: 2013-05-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:30:59 | 1500 meters | 02m 04s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: I feel like every tri I've done so far was an out and back. This one was shaped almost like a square for the first last, but then an upside-down triangle for the second lap.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 66F / 19C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 04:25
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:32:28 | 24.8 miles | 16.08 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:31
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:00:26 | 06.2 miles | 09m 41s  min/mile
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2013-06-03 3:13 PM

User image

New user

Kailua Kona, Hawaii
Subject: Island Lake Triathlon, Spring - Olympic Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Island Lake Triathlon, Spring - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Island Lake Triathlon, Spring - Sprint Course

Started by xrodolfox
Views: 1395 Posts: 2

2013-05-26 6:16 AM xrodolfox

Started by noelle1230
Views: 1111 Posts: 1

2012-07-05 3:14 PM noelle1230

Island Lake Triathlon, Spring - Olympic Course

Started by AUSSIEEXPAT
Views: 1051 Posts: 1

2012-05-29 10:06 AM AUSSIEEXPAT

Island Lake Triathlon, Spring - Olympic Course

Started by cycletherapy
Views: 1551 Posts: 8

2012-05-29 3:23 PM JonnyVero

Started by dtrimmer
Views: 1262 Posts: 1

2012-05-27 5:54 AM dtrimmer
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 26, 2012
author : dantheman1123
comments : 1
My first triathlon was at age 56. At first I was just the cameraman at my daughter's first triathlon, then I am doing the races that she has done.

date : August 2, 2010
author : HerveB
comments : 8
I looked at the swim buoys and start thinking, "Man! How am I ever going to swim that? That looks like a very long distance from the bridge. I have never done it in one go." There's no turning back.
date : October 20, 2008
author : araqnid
comments : 0
After doing duathlons for the last couple of years, I decided to go for a triathlon. Starting with an Olympic-distance race perhaps wasn't wise, but it was fun (of a sort).

date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.
date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : December 3, 2007
author : Team BT
Complete course preview of the New Jersey State triathlon featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : August 10, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
The first time I ventured into the deep murky green lake and could not see the bottom my muscles tensed and my imagined fears surfaced. What exactly lies beneath?

date : April 17, 2005
author : AMSSM
Training in the cold can be effective and fun with some planning. Overall, prepare for the environment, stay hydrated and dry, listen to your body and have a great safe cold weather outing.