General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Base training with Mathetone heart rates Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-06-03 10:18 PM

Subject: Base training with Mathetone heart rates
I've come across the Mathetone method quite a lot recently and I'm waiting for the book but in the meantime I have a question about the heart rate zones. From reading I know that there are more accurate methods to measure maximum and aerobic max HR but just for the moment I'm sticking with 180 minus my age until I sort out a more precise reading. According to some articles you should train as close as possible to the aerobic max, which in my case is 143, but other articles say stick to within 60-80% of your aerobic max, which would sometimes be very low. Does anyone know which one is the most accurate description of this method or does it just depend on how you feel on the day?

2013-06-04 12:10 AM
in reply to: baoneer

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Base training with Mathetone heart rates

for setting training ranges, your max HR isn't the most useful number.  What you really need is your LTHR.  i.e. the heart rate at which you approach your lactate threshold.

google lactate threshold test for running.

2013-06-04 5:25 AM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
There are issues with using a formula instead of a test to determine HR training zones and would suggest that if you have the fitness, a test is a much better method to determine training zones. Also, there are differences between the Maffetone method and others so your confusion is likely coming about as a result of that. Not sure what you mean by aeobic max but I would guess you mean 185-age for the Maffetone but for the 60-80% number you mention, it is probably talking about lactate threshold HR (LTHR) which is why there is a disconnect.

If you are going to use the Maffetone method, then once you get the book, read it and follow what is in it. Personally I wouldn't follow the Maffetone method, primarily because of the calculation to determine a HR and also because capping your HR at an aribtrary HR has little value in building fitness. You do want to train at levels appropriate to your fitness but this doesn't happen just by saying that your HR will always be below XXXbpm.

I would suggest you check out the 220-age thread here (by Mike Ricci) and then apply those principles to your training.

Shane
2013-06-04 6:43 AM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
In addition to what the others said, if you are not yet fit enough to perform a lactate threshold test well, train by rating of perceived exertion (RPE) until you are. Do most runs at an effort level that lets you talk in short sentences.
2013-06-04 6:59 AM
in reply to: TriMyBest

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member
OP, here's the BT article for LT field testing and this is the huge thread/FAQ regarding it.
2013-06-04 7:46 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
You need to do a lactate threshold test. Your heart beats different than others. For some, formulas get them in them in the ballpark. Not me. It was way off.

2013-06-04 8:55 AM

Veteran
Tennessee
I used the maffetone method for about three months until I felt fit enough to do the LT test. It worked pretty well for me. after doing the LT test my maffetone number was low zone 1. One thing it did for me was made me really enjoy running. Pretty much every run was easy and I didn't hurt at all after a run. I went from running 3-4 days a week to 6. I think it is a good method for beginners.
2013-06-04 10:28 AM
in reply to: iruptacopula

User image

Veteran
Denver area
Subject: RE: Base training with Maffetone heart rates
My coach had me do ~3 months under the Maffetone this winter/spring with a max HR of 143. It was very frustrating at first (having to go so slow) and I was really worried about being able to run faster later on. Once I got past the frustration, I really loved MAF. It taught me to listen to my body and get it to relax and be efficient when I run. I could also run and not feel beat up afterwards. 6 months later, I'm running faster than I ever have. I really think MAF gets you a good base and allows you to build distance w/out beating yourself up.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Base training with Mathetone heart rates Rss Feed