General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri the Ridge Sprint Triathlon Pickens SC Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-06-05 2:07 PM

User image

Master
Subject: Tri the Ridge Sprint Triathlon Pickens SC
http://www.pcymca.net/triathlon.php

The 6th Annual Tri the Ridge Sprint Triathlon will be held again this year. They have decided to drop the USAT certification in order to keep cost down for participants. Would that influence your decision to do the race?

This race is one of my favorite sprint distance races. The bike and run courses are both challenging but the view of the mountains from the bike course is amazing. You can see why Pickens is called the "Gateway to the Foothills."

I think would be a great race for first timers especially the ones who are nervous about open water swims. The price is reasonable and the distances are perfect for a sprint

Edited by pschriver 2013-06-05 2:14 PM

2013-06-05 3:34 PM
in reply to: pschriver

User image

Subject: RE: Tri the Ridge Sprint Triathlon Pickens SC
May have to think about it. So just how challenging is the bike and run course....say compared to the Middle Tyger Tri or the Greenville Tri?
2013-06-05 3:47 PM
in reply to: erica_m

User image

Master
Originally posted by erica_m

May have to think about it. So just how challenging is the bike and run course....say compared to the Middle Tyger Tri or the Greenville Tri?

I have never done the Middle Tyger but the bike would be very similar to the Greenville Tri. The nice thing about the Pickens run vs. the Greenville Tri is the run is all on pavement. The run at the Greenville Tri through the woods (that you end up doing 4 times) is probably my least favorite run. The elevation change is probably about the same overall
2013-06-05 7:56 PM

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC
i hated the run on the greenville tri, and the bike course was a little scary at the start and finish...

no USAT insurance doesn't bother me. if my schedule is free when the race comes around i'll probably do it
2013-06-05 8:42 PM
in reply to: Clempson

User image

Master
Originally posted by Clempson

i hated the run on the greenville tri, and the bike course was a little scary at the start and finish...

no USAT insurance doesn't bother me. if my schedule is free when the race comes around i'll probably do it

I think the middle section of G-ville on the bike is a little iffy when you go on 183 with no shoulder also. It doesn't stop me from doing it but it won't be one of my training routes.
2013-06-06 9:54 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
I did this race a couple of years ago as my first triathlon of any distance. I will say that it was a great venue with a fun yet challenging course. The participants and volunteers were all very nice and helpful, especially for someone doing their first race and having no real idea what they were doing. I would highly recommend this race for both new and seasoned triathletes. It is fun, challenging enough but not unfair, and ultimately a good environment in which to race.

I would do it myself again this year but I will be coming off of IMLOU a few weeks before.

Edited by clemson05 2013-06-06 9:54 AM

2013-06-06 12:22 PM

User image

New user
Very tempting. I am doing the Greenville Tri in August and possibly training for Rev3 Anderson. Hmm. Decisions decisions.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri the Ridge Sprint Triathlon Pickens SC Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Memorial Day bike ride Pickens County

Started by pschriver
Views: 2043 Posts: 17

2013-05-27 9:26 PM Clempson

Pickens County YMCA race team

Started by pschriver
Views: 1106 Posts: 4

2013-01-29 9:07 AM pschriver

Tri the Ridge : Official Thread

Started by pschriver
Views: 3484 Posts: 19

2011-10-02 7:55 PM Experior

Tri the Ridge Sprint Triathlon : Official Thread

Started by pschriver
Views: 1633 Posts: 1

2009-09-14 10:47 PM pschriver

Hartsville SC Sprint Tri

Started by gullahcracker
Views: 1235 Posts: 2

2005-09-16 7:57 PM c2fd
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 21, 2011
author : etra77
comments : 0
Aunt and Nephew do their first Sprint Triathlon together

date : July 28, 2009
author : Coach AJ
comments : 1
I'm doing the 22 week sprint tri program and the 2 mile bike ride it starts with is not very challenging. I see this as a opportunity to train the right way and challenge myself. Any ideas?
date : October 7, 2008
author : gczarski
This past spring I realized a few of us were heading in the wrong direction physically. We were getting together for poker games and kids’ birthdays, but that was it.

date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.
date : April 1, 2008
author : trvw
The challenge? The accomplishment? I want to do this because it is an opportunity to live life. The event is an indoor sprint triathlon. I get to experience the challenge on a safer scale.

date : March 6, 2008
author : scubachic9999
comments : 4
Already a cyclist and not a bad swimmer, I figured all I had to do was build up to running a few miles and I’d be ready to go. The challenge invigorated me, and I ran out to buy new running shoes.
date : August 10, 2007
author : leifashley
comments : 4
From couch potato to a tri in 8 weeks. It was the most fun I've had in a long time. The race organizers had it down and there were no problems at all. This was the perfect first tri, in my opinion.

date : September 5, 2004
author : Team BT
During this past year, I’ve found that there are secrets “out there” - hidden fitness secrets and tips.