General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman World Championship 70.3 : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-06-06 10:54 AM

User image

Regular
Subject: Ironman World Championship 70.3 : Official Thread
First post for the forum -- Why don't you introduce yourself and if you like share your goals for the 70.3 World Championships.

I qualified earlier this week at IM Raleigh 70.3 and was shocked. As a result, I am totally unprepared for a trip to Las Vegas having never really thought about it. I've never raced other than local to where I live except once last year when I took a big road trip to IM Lake Placid.

This year I'm returning to Lake Placid on July 28 and that is my focus right now. In the coming weeks, I'll come up with some goals for this race once I get my head around the course, conditions and how my fitness is coming together for Lake Placid.

Also, I'm a swimmer by background and weakest on the run.

2013-06-23 8:14 PM
in reply to: klassman

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Ironman World Championship 70.3 : Official Thread

Okay -- the standard "who are you and what are your goals is not working."

Does anyone know if the official race hotel runs a shuttle from the airport?  I plan to fly in Friday morning, shuttle to the Athlete Check In, take care of everything and then figure a way to my hotel which is near T2 and the finish 15 miles away.  These are just plans since I don't actually know what the transportation options will be...

2013-07-02 5:37 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

T2 and the finish are at the same spot. T1 and swim start are quite a distance away

Swim start and T1 is at at Lake Las Vegas resort.
T2 and finish like are at Henderson

Checkin is at Henderson

The biggest challenge for those staying at Henderson is getting to the start in the morning. In 2011 there were no shuttles
The biggest challenge for those staying at LLV is getting to checkin (cab or by bike) and getting back after the race although there are shuttles to get back, but a PITA with your bike
2013-07-05 12:39 AM

User image

Regular
Las Vegas, NV
I'll be there Start training Monday.

My tri club puts it together so we got 25 slots. I got #25 out of 25.

My goal is to NOT be last. If I beat one person, I'm good
2013-07-05 7:38 PM

Hi, I also qualified at IM Raleigh, my first Half! Heading to Vegas was also a huge suprise and will be my second Half, a slot rolled down to me after I finished 7th in my age group. I'll take it, if nothing else for the experience!!! I'm not as in good of shape as I was for Raleigh, but hope to pick up the training a bit and hit my goal of not getting crushed in my age group Also looking to do IM Lake Placid 2014!
2013-08-17 1:03 AM
in reply to: Rinlizzy

User image

Expert
Plano, National Capital Region
Just qualified a couple of weeks ago at Ironman Philippines 70.3. Took the last of 3 spots for the M 40-44 age group. Not really expecting to be competitive here (or any WTC IM race) so will be there for the experience.

Anyone have any tips on bike gearing? I normally race with a standard 39/53 crank and a 11-25 cassette (and 11-23 on flat courses like Galveston). How severe are the inclines?

2013-08-18 11:05 AM
in reply to: m2tx

User image

Expert
Hi All,

I qualified at Steelhead on the 4th. I'm racing IMAZ (it's my A race this season) and have no goal other than enjoy the experience of getting my a$$ handed to me by some amazing AG athletes, and do no harm! Oh. and to buy lots of swag!

I did this course in 2011 in November for ITU Long Course Worlds. It is a . No other way to say it. Long rolling climbs all through out the bike, the possiblity of very strong winds, and Vegas heat. When I did it , it was so cold (and had rained the whole day before) that the swim was cancelled. High of 57. I had done the American TTT and Lake Placid that year so I felt prepared for hills. It will be a whole other level of suffering with the expected heat of 100! Hence my goal above.

The run is all down, then all up, repeat. About a 4.5 mile loop. I am unprepared for hills or heat. I have already put my compact crank on and am training at the hilliest park in my area until I depart on the 5th. Get as many gears on your steed as you can...you won't regret it!

I am staying at the host hotel. I'm sharing a suv with a friend to pick up our bikes from TBT in Henderson. I will only have to deal with hauling my own tired a$$ back to the hotel on the shuttle. I am excited to go to the awards, as a local beast is the defending OA AG male from last year, and I look forward to seeing him on the podium.
2013-08-20 9:25 AM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by m2tx Just qualified a couple of weeks ago at Ironman Philippines 70.3. Took the last of 3 spots for the M 40-44 age group. Not really expecting to be competitive here (or any WTC IM race) so will be there for the experience. Anyone have any tips on bike gearing? I normally race with a standard 39/53 crank and a 11-25 cassette (and 11-23 on flat courses like Galveston). How severe are the inclines?

From what I can tell, it'll depend on how much you want to spin on the hills. If you're a high cadence guy at everything then another gear past the 25t might be nice, but otherwise use whatever puts your mind at ease. The hills weren't really *that* much anything though they certainly are present. Be ready for one after another on most all of the course. Not because any of them are particularly hard, but the feel of uphill vs down is different and you'll want to know how to manage that as the change throws off perception. It'd be quite easy to push a little too much when transferring into the uphill and the accumulation from so many will add up.

2013-08-25 2:11 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Expert
Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by m2tx Just qualified a couple of weeks ago at Ironman Philippines 70.3. Took the last of 3 spots for the M 40-44 age group. Not really expecting to be competitive here (or any WTC IM race) so will be there for the experience. Anyone have any tips on bike gearing? I normally race with a standard 39/53 crank and a 11-25 cassette (and 11-23 on flat courses like Galveston). How severe are the inclines?

From what I can tell, it'll depend on how much you want to spin on the hills. If you're a high cadence guy at everything then another gear past the 25t might be nice, but otherwise use whatever puts your mind at ease. The hills weren't really *that* much anything though they certainly are present. Be ready for one after another on most all of the course. Not because any of them are particularly hard, but the feel of uphill vs down is different and you'll want to know how to manage that as the change throws off perception. It'd be quite easy to push a little too much when transferring into the uphill and the accumulation from so many will add up.

Thanks! I'm going to play it safe and put on a 27. I do race with a powermeter so I am able to keep the surging uphill to a minimum.
2013-09-09 11:29 PM

User image

Expert
I'll have a race report up soon but I ended up putting on an 11-28 cassette. With my standard crank, I was on the 39/28 combo quite a bit on those long uphills in order to keep the cadence reasonable at my wattage target. If I had to do this all over again, I may have considered putting on compact cranks, as I would've given up going to my 53/11 on the descents (but I have a quarq so kept my cranks). Bike course was the toughest I've done. In 4 previous HIM races, I finished between 2:40 and 2:45 on mostly flat courses. I was around 3:15 for this one! Limited training and getting sick leading up to this race just made it worse, but probably would not have gone more than 5 minutes faster at best, even in the cooler weather when it was raining. Slick roads near T1 made for a couple of hair-raising descents. Also the first time that I had full on cramping happen on the bike and it was almost within sight of T2! Had to stop on the hill and wait for muscles to relax before starting back up again. I knew at this point that my run was also going to be long...

In any case, I survived getting kicked hard in the groin just before the first turn buoy in the swim, cramps at the end of the bike, and cramps for most of the run (quads and hamstrings and calves depending on which portion of the run). Just glad to have earned my finisher medal as there was a race and I was definitely not in it. Still enjoyed the experience as I am not expecting to be able to qualify again anytime in the near (or far) future.
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman World Championship 70.3 : Official Thread Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ironman World Championship 70.3 : Official Thread Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by elrasc06
Views: 11518 Posts: 85

2012-09-11 5:30 PM wbattaile

Ironman World Championship 70.3 : Official Thread Pages: 1 2 3

Started by gadzooks
Views: 11880 Posts: 66

2011-09-12 9:14 PM karlj24

Ironman World Championships 70.3 : Official Thread Pages: 1 2 3

Started by Plissken74
Views: 8293 Posts: 51

2010-11-18 8:18 AM The Cube

Ironman World Championships 70.3 : Official Thread

Started by loutalarico
Views: 3420 Posts: 13

2009-11-06 4:15 PM KEJ

Ford Ironman World Championship : Official Thread

Started by wieczynski
Views: 5561 Posts: 21

2009-09-30 7:43 PM jinxs68
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 28, 2012
author : packetron
comments : 4
My personal experience to complete the Ironman 70.3

date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.
date : January 1, 2008
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
Here is my five step plan for getting mentally prepared for next year’s Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, or any other race that you may have.

date : October 4, 2007
author : jgosse66
It was the morning of Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, I felt queasy. I didn't want to eat or drink anything. I had a full blown case of the pre-race HEEBEE GEEBEES.
date : June 6, 2006
author : Ingrid Loos
comments : 4
A bad race left me smoldering, but time and a gentle breeze ignited my passion to race again.

date : September 4, 2004
author : Daniel Clout
Stay focused on your dreams and stand up for your rights!
My expectations for the quality of this years’ Triathlon world championship were fulfilled. This was because of the superb location that is like no other along with having the top triathletes present.

There is a marvelous destiny out there waiting for you too, but only if you are willing to take chances and put yourself on the line.