General Discussion Triathlon Talk » houston pro bike fitter VS. LBS bike fitter Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-06-06 10:59 AM

User image

Pearland,Tx
Subject: houston pro bike fitter VS. LBS bike fitter
Guys

i need your advice in this situation. I bought a bike here in Houston in one of our LBS. The
shop provides 6 months all. service ,including fitting. I already came back twice to be
re-fitted. i still have 3 months left. My question is even though i am fitted by LBS do I still
need to consult and be fitted by a Pro Bike fitter?

I am looking at the websites if the pro fitters in Houston they are very technical and thorough.
i really could use a feedback from someone who tried from a local vs. a pro.

Thanks

Carl

2013-06-06 1:02 PM
in reply to: strykergt

User image

Pro
CyFair
Subject: RE: houston pro bike fitter VS. LBS bike fitter
There are all of three fitters I'd use in Houston.  Tad Hughes and Philip Shama being 1 and 1a.  Bike Barn Custom Studio being next.  I don't care what would be offered me when I bought the bike I'd cough up the $250 to go see one of them.
2013-06-06 10:40 PM
in reply to: uhcoog

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX
I'm with Scott.  Cynthia Stewart at Bike Barn Custom Fit Studio, Tad Hughes and Philip Shama would be the only three people I'd let fit me on a bike.  Cynthia's more personal favorite.  I've been fitted by her three times and bounce ideas off here every now and again when I tweak something (like buying a new saddle).
2013-06-07 10:44 AM
in reply to: GMAN 19030

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

That should be "my personal favorite" and "bounce ideas off her."

I swear I wasn't drinking last night when I posted that.

2013-06-07 1:57 PM
in reply to: GMAN 19030

User image

Pro
McKinney, TX

x2 what Scott and Gman said.

While I don't live in Houston, my LBS "fitted" me and made adjustments on my bike....several times. When I finally got a retul fit, it was like riding a band new bike. So many changes and adjustments....some major and others a few millimeters.....but would HIGHLY recommend dropping the $250 for a thorough fit. It will change your (riding) life.

2013-06-07 5:58 PM
in reply to: bradleyd3

User image

Pearland,Tx
Guys

I am getting good feedback over here keep it coming.

Honesty i am really leaning to Tad Hughes , since he is the only one i think who is not connected to a store and he will provide you
data that is applicable to the tri-bike you will be using.

One follow-up question. I have only been riding on aero position for less than 100 miles, do you guys suggest that I try to gain more miles to experience all my problems and drop it all at once to the pro-fitter? or I could just walk in there with my bike?

Let me know

Thanks

2013-06-07 5:58 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pearland,Tx
Subject: Double sorry
Double sorry

Edited by strykergt 2013-06-07 5:59 PM
2013-06-07 10:47 PM

User image

Veteran
The Woodlands, TX
Most of the responses you've received to this question are from people who spend a lot of time on their bikes. If you plan on spending a lot hours a every week on your bike, then I agree that having your position optimized is worthwhile. If you're serious about getting every last bit of speed from your ride, then it would be worthwhile too. If you're a more casual rider, then you may spend a few hundred dollars and not really notice much difference or get much of a benefit.

For most people, there's not a single right answer for what your bike position should be. While there are definitely some wrong answers, almost everything else is a trade-off between comfort, power, ergonomics, aerodynamics, and cost. I went through a fitting at the BB custom fit studio earlier this year and think I got my money's worth......but my goal is to ride about 5000-miles this year. I was in a position that was a little too aggressive for my flexibility and race goals, which they helped my correct.

My wife is a recreational rider who puts in maybe 1 to 3 hours a week on her bike. While I know a custom fit could improve on her position, I also doubt she'd recognize the benefits from it. She's comfortable now, and speed really isn't an issue for her.

My view is that a custom fit is very worthwhile for some people, but sometimes good enough is good enough.

If you take the plunge, you should have some very clear goals and objectives about what you're hoping the fit helps you accomplish or problems with your present fit that you're hoping to remedy.
2013-06-09 10:25 AM

User image

Pearland,Tx
Guys

I just had about enough!!! after my last visit from my LBS for fitting I spent 1:45:00 in aero position the longest i ever been at my own fastest speed. I experienced different kind of aching. First of all I feel have a stiff neck, then worst of all my knees arching. My technique in cycling is to pedal with my quadriceps to pull my leg in a circular motion, my current fitting forces me to use my knees. I need to save my knees for the half marathon.

I am targeting 100 miles a week, this is punishment if I let this go on. Warranty or no warranty i do not care.

I am calling Tad Hughes tomorrow and set an appointment. Hopefully my wife will allow this expensive father's day gift.

Thanks for all the advise and feedback guys!!!

2013-06-24 5:03 PM

User image

New user
Houston, Texas
So how did it go? My appt is this week and I am very excited!!!
2013-06-24 6:36 PM
in reply to: toodamnbroke

User image

Pearland,Tx
Originally posted by toodamnbroke

So how did it go? My appt is this week and I am very excited!!!

Man!!!!

It was great !!! the whole two hours you paid for is well spent. Lets just say he made me feel comfortable on my bike on aero position
and increased my speed by + 1.75 mph.

I dont care if i did not walk into Starbucks , but it is quality professionalism over my LBS. The service does not include new parts
though. Tad's Fitting studio is inside SV bicycles ( not connected to Tad Hughes though the guys there likes him alot.)

I am coming back there again for my road bike (20% off on 2nd bike).

Goodluck man have fun.!!!

Cheers

Carl

2013-06-27 3:31 PM

User image

New user
Houston, Texas
So I went to Tad yesterday and we (he) made quite a few changes. I immediately could tell a difference in my hip/leg area at the shop, it felt much better. Then the upper body - arms and shoulder area, was more skeptical about. I always felt like I was putting a ton of pressure holding myself up on the bike.. but I did my normal 31 mile group ride last night, and MAN-O-MAN.... I felt amazing, like bike + human were actually working together in harmony!!!!! 0 pain or discomfort in the upper body area and my legs peddled nice and smoothly the whole ride and my "sit" area was a 180deg. difference, I already had an adamo saddle, but last night was like I was just floating on the saddle with minimal pressure. I blasted through the ride feeling better than ever, going faster (b/c of form and no fatigue over time) than ever and I was pulling the group about 2/3 of the ride, whereas I normally get pulled more than I pull.

I will totally recommend a pro fit anyone on the fence about that. My hats off to Tad, the money was completely well spent.. Oh ya, I got my old road bike fit as well... maybe now I'll actually ride it.

Justin
2013-06-27 4:50 PM
in reply to: toodamnbroke

User image

Pearland,Tx
Originally posted by toodamnbroke

So I went to Tad yesterday and we (he) made quite a few changes. I immediately could tell a difference in my hip/leg area at the shop, it felt much better. Then the upper body - arms and shoulder area, was more skeptical about. I always felt like I was putting a ton of pressure holding myself up on the bike.. but I did my normal 31 mile group ride last night, and MAN-O-MAN.... I felt amazing, like bike + human were actually working together in harmony!!!!! 0 pain or discomfort in the upper body area and my legs peddled nice and smoothly the whole ride and my "sit" area was a 180deg. difference, I already had an adamo saddle, but last night was like I was just floating on the saddle with minimal pressure. I blasted through the ride feeling better than ever, going faster (b/c of form and no fatigue over time) than ever and I was pulling the group about 2/3 of the ride, whereas I normally get pulled more than I pull.

I will totally recommend a pro fit anyone on the fence about that. My hats off to Tad, the money was completely well spent.. Oh ya, I got my old road bike fit as well... maybe now I'll actually ride it.

Justin

Glad you had the same experience. Tad Hughes is hard to come by, School would not teach you to be a pro fitter. his decades of experience speaks well. Whatever bike fitting software is out there,The computer dont talk to us about our history,objectives,goals . I am just glad there's a Tad Hughes in town.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » houston pro bike fitter VS. LBS bike fitter Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Recommended Bike Fitters in Houston Pages: 1 2

Started by NewClydesdale
Views: 6288 Posts: 28

2012-04-20 12:57 PM NewClydesdale

Houston Tri Bike Fit?

Started by JLew
Views: 3612 Posts: 8

2010-05-13 8:14 AM JLew

DFW Tri Shop/Bike Fit

Started by whizzards23
Views: 2475 Posts: 7

2009-05-08 3:40 PM JeepFleeb

Best bike fit in Greater Houston area?

Started by Seminole_Coastie
Views: 1220 Posts: 6

2009-03-27 9:07 AM Seminole_Coastie

DFW Area Bike Fitters

Started by fendermh1027
Views: 1563 Posts: 16

2009-01-26 8:07 PM morganjohnson
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."

date : January 8, 2010
I am in the market for a new road bike, at several local bike stores I will test ride several bikes. Other than basic fit and components, how should I compare them while doing a test ride?
date : June 17, 2009
comments : 0
I can run and swim with no problems but when I get on the bike my hamstring starts to tighten up. I had my bike fitted in January and the problem seemed fine until I got out on the roads recently.

date : April 14, 2008
The bike fitters at Fit Werx talk about all the components of a triathlon bike fit and how it relates to aerodynamics and the individual.
date : August 7, 2007
author : sportfactory
Cyclists may be at risk of developing CTS due to long hours spent in one position. These eight tips can help you prevent carpal tunnel syndrome while grinding out those long hours on the bike.

date : June 11, 2007
author : sportfactory
Learning about the proper pedal interface, how to best acheive pedal force, good cycling form and bike fit, we can learn to achieve greater bike speed.
date : July 17, 2005
author : AMSSM
Proper Bicycle Fit and Treatment of Common Cycling-related Medical Problems

date : February 28, 2005
author : Don Magie
Whether your bike is new, new to you, or you have not been on the bike for a long time, you really should spend some time thinking about how your bike fits you.