General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First Triathlon done! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-06-09 3:35 PM

Illinois
Subject: First Triathlon done!
HEY BTers!!!

I just finished my first triathlon today! I competed in the Batavia Triathlon, a sprint in Batavia, IL. IT WAS AWESOME! I am seriously in love with this sport! It was so much fun. Great environment! I finished in 1:19:16. My preliminary stats on the print out I got before I left put me at 5th in my age group and 63rd overall. However, it was a time trial start so there were a couple hundred yet to finish. I am going to post a full race report when I get the official results. The only two things I would have done different are wear a wetsuit(the water was so cold -64 degrees-it literally took my breath away and I cramped up so I had to swim like Johnny Weissmuller, look him up he is the reason we have the Tarzan drill) and I would also use the restroom right before the start. I realized I had to while in line to start the swim. I ended up having to make a pit stop before the run which added approx 45 sec to my time. Great lessons learned, GREAT FUN, and I can't wait to get out there and rock it even better next time with my first hand knowledge.

It was fun competing with everyone out there, hope you all had a great race and I look forward to racing again soon!

2013-06-09 4:35 PM
in reply to: FastFish26

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton
Subject: RE: First Triathlon done!
Great post! Congratulations on a great first race :D
2013-06-09 4:41 PM

User image

Chicago
Congratulations - sounds like you're going to make a stellar triathlete!

Sorry to hear that water was so chilly - I was at the triathlon in Naperville - very similar water venue as Batavia - but the water was reported to be about 70 degrees, so pretty darn comfortable.

Glad to hear you are now hooked on the sport - looks like we got another one!

MJ
2013-06-09 5:58 PM

User image

Regular
Morton IL
You had a pretty solid time with a slow swim and a pit stop. Id say your off to a great start!
2013-06-09 7:27 PM
in reply to: MJSlikas

Illinois
Originally posted by MJSlikas

Congratulations - sounds like you're going to make a stellar triathlete!

Sorry to hear that water was so chilly - I was at the triathlon in Naperville - very similar water venue as Batavia - but the water was reported to be about 70 degrees, so pretty darn comfortable.

Glad to hear you are now hooked on the sport - looks like we got another one!

MJ

Thank you very much! I sure hope I can make a stellar triathlete! I am definitely hooked.

Glad to hear your water was fine! It is amazing how much difference 6 degrees can make!
2013-06-09 7:28 PM
in reply to: mcgilmartin

Illinois
Originally posted by mcgilmartin

Great post! Congratulations on a great first race :D

Thank you! I am looking forward to make more!

2013-06-09 7:32 PM
in reply to: Paulford8

Illinois
Originally posted by Paulford8

You had a pretty solid time with a slow swim and a pit stop. Id say your off to a great start!

Thank you! I feel really good about it. I was looking for under 1:15 as my stretch goal. Based on previous years times that would have gotten me around the top ten and a AG podium. I made my backup goal of under 1:20 though so I am definitely happy. Plus solid first hand experience with a few lessons learned. I can't wait for my next one!
2013-06-10 7:20 PM

Illinois
The results are up today for the Batavia Triathlon.

http://www.theracershub.com/results_view.php?id=2087&result_type=db

I filled out and posted a race report for my performance which can be found in the race reports section on the forums. Congrats to all the competitors!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First Triathlon done! Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

First Triathlon?

Started by bwilson1177
Views: 1381 Posts: 9

2010-07-05 10:00 AM bwilson1177

anyone doing the Spring Forward ride in Union, IL on 4/27

Started by pigfinn
Views: 982 Posts: 6

2008-04-26 4:58 PM pigfinn

NE 1 doing the Naperville Sprint

Started by Reff1198
Views: 936 Posts: 2

2007-07-18 6:25 PM jmcelroy

Who's doing what Tri's this year?

Started by hangloose
Views: 2038 Posts: 24

2006-03-08 5:13 PM McFuzz

Who's doing Galena Triathlon? (Illinois)

Started by Steve-
Views: 1793 Posts: 16

2005-05-24 6:42 PM Steve-
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 27, 2012
author : davey m
comments : 3
Deciding on an Ironman as my first venture into triathlon was greeted with incredulity and astonishment combined with a hint of, "well, you're full of yourself aren't you?" and, "a bit ambitious?"

date : July 18, 2012
author : Khorwohock
comments : 14
I have always wanted to do a triathlon to keep myself fit, and now I had my chance.
date : April 28, 2011
author : fivecents
comments : 5
What my first sprint distance triathlon taught me about myself.

date : April 27, 2011
author : brumby11
comments : 5
An impending baby inspires a father to become fit, along the way discovering world of triathlon
date : December 24, 2008
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
Discussions on indoor cycling drills such as one legged drills and power intervals. Also we discuss how many half Ironman races should be done before your first full Ironman.

date : October 9, 2007
author : She-Ra
comments : 12
I never imagined that 350 yards broken down into 7 REALLY long lanes would be so big! I gasped out loud and told Grady that maybe I had underestimated the swim.
date : August 17, 2007
author : scoli121
comments : 6
I quickly browsed an article in Men's Health that talked about doing a triathlon, and how it wasn't really that hard. With a "tsk!" I quickly turned the page while thinking, "Yeah, right!"

date : February 7, 2007
author : Angie M
comments : 4
In the past 18 months, I have delivered two babies, had meningitis, broken my pelvis, had two surgeries, worked full time, AND completed my first triathlon!