Columbia Triathlon Association
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 28m 22s
Overall Rank = 1334/2600
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 172/213
Pre-race routine:

Bobby and I got up in our high class hotel a about 4:30. We went downstairs for the free coffee, bagels, etc. then drove to the race site. I was very excited, I thought for sure that today would be a certain pr for me. I love race morning and there isn't much better than a wtc race morning the vibe was awesome and I was psyched.
Event warmup:

Swam a few hundred yards and did some stretching.
Swim
  • 44m 49s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 07s / 100 yards
Comments:

My swim was off to a great start until about five minutes in. I got hi in the face by, I think, an elbow. My goggles shifted on my face. I stopped so I could fix them and when I did, I pulled the strap out of the clip. So I had to take some time to fix them. I started going again and my goggles quickly filled with water. So, I had to stop again.

Other than those mishaps, my swim was really good. I felt smooth and fast and was just gliding through the water. Navigation was ok (I think they could have had a few more buoys as markers).

Overall, I'm pretty happy with this swim.
What would you do differently?:

Some things are just out of my control
Transition 1
  • 04m 9s
Comments:

Huge transition area. Long time in t1. But pretty efficient believe it or not. I took some extra time to apply sunblock.
Bike
  • 2h 50m 32s
  • 56 miles
  • 19.67 mile/hr
Comments:

I decided months ago that I was going to go all in on the bike in this race. I trained hard on the bike. I pushed, non-stop throughout this leg of the race and I had a great, great ride.

That being said... I know that it is often said that the run course is littered with people walking along talking about what a great bike split they had. It turns out I was one of those people today.

I came into t2 3:35 into the race. I was hoping for a pr (5:56) and really hoping to go sub 5:45. A 2:10 half marathon is all I needed. And I know that that pace is doable, especially having come off of a half marathon pr a month ago of 1:54:33.

Maybe I worked to hard on the bike. I redlined virtually the whole way and I was unprepared to deal with the heat after such a tough ride.
Transition 2
  • 03m 21s
Comments:

Tough, tough conditions in the transition area. Probably about 5 inches of mud in the areas you had to run through to get to the racks. Really awful.
Run
  • 2h 45m 31s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 12m 39s  min/mile
Comments:

Mile one was in 10:10. I knew that this run was going to be hard, but never in my wildest imagination did I ever think it would be as bad as it was. I figured I could hang on to a 10:10-10:20 pace and still get a pr.

That plan was out the door after I soon realized that there was no way I could keep myself in a comfortable spot. By mile 4, I was in a very, very dark place. I don't think I have ever felt this down in a race before. I was way too hot, getting dizzy and nauseous. I kept trying to get some electrolytes and fluids and calories into me, but I think by then it was just too late.

Bobby caught up to me about 4.5 miles in. I told him how bad my situation was and the really, truly good friend that he is, he walked, shuffled and jogged the entire remainder of the race with me.

The bottom line is, today just wasn't my day. I trained meticulously, dieted faithfully and planned painstakingly for the last 5 months in preparation for this race. Obviously, this race was a failure for me... But the bottom line is, I finished another half ironman. This is number seven for me. I got myself into, perhaps, the best shape of my life (maybe even better that when I did the IM), and for that I have to be happy. I mean the ultimate goal is to do all of this for fitness and health and I have accomplished that at least.

Not sure what I really could have done. I mean I just never have been able to deal with heat very well, and after training so much and so hard outdoors, during a very cold winter, I guess I just wasn't ready for the heat and humidity.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around and ate some food to try to get rid of the headaches I had.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Heat. Maybe a bad decision to go out so hard on the bike.

Last updated: 2012-10-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:44:49 | 2112 yards | 02m 07s / 100yards
Age Group: 139/213
Overall: 1165/2600
Performance: Average
Suit: Blue seventy sprint
Course: Rectangle in the chop tank river.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 73F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:09
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
02:50:32 | 56 miles | 19.67 mile/hr
Age Group: 153/213
Overall: 1050/2600
Performance: Good
Average of actually riding was 20.6 mph. I'm thrilled with that.
Wind: Some
Course: Really nice flat fast course.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:21
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:45:31 | 13.1 miles | 12m 39s  min/mile
Age Group: 172/213
Overall: 1334/2600
Performance: Bad
Course: Hot...hot and hot.
Keeping cool Bad Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2013-06-10 2:17 PM

Expert
Miller Place, Long Island
Subject: Ironman 70.3 Eagleman Triathlon

2013-06-10 4:39 PM
in reply to: #4772333

User image

Extreme Veteran
Westchester, NY
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Eagleman Triathlon
Holy.. That transition area was muddy !! Too bad about the meltdown on the run.. Me too. I had a good ride too. As soon as I left mud2 (actually I shouldn't complain about run start, my rack was right beside it, I had clean run shoes) I was worried about critters out of the swamp.. But that run was a scorcher... How any people did you see all sunburned ?
There's alway next years revenge... I'll see you there ..
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 Eagleman Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ironman 70.3 Eagleman Triathlon

Started by marykay79
Views: 2462 Posts: 1

2011-06-14 12:52 PM marykay79

Started by turtlegirl
Views: 4365 Posts: 14

2013-06-12 7:34 AM Sous

Started by dougiegr
Views: 2214 Posts: 1

2011-06-13 1:30 PM dougiegr

Started by frank.vetter
Views: 2047 Posts: 1

2011-06-13 8:48 AM frank.vetter

Started by KellyCByrne
Views: 2058 Posts: 1

2011-06-08 11:29 AM KellyCByrne
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 28, 2012
author : packetron
comments : 4
My personal experience to complete the Ironman 70.3

date : October 8, 2009
author : brianyanowski
comments : 2
Some mistakes I made during the Hawaii Ironman 70.3. Don't be caught out on the course not knowing how or not having the equipment to change a flat tire.
date : July 1, 2009
author : mrmarkcole
comments : 37
Or why an Ironman 70.3 may not be your best choice for your first triathlon.

date : August 21, 2008
author : TriChica
comments : 8
I thought of all the times I didn’t attempt something I wanted to do because I was too afraid of trying something new or of failing completely.
date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.

date : January 1, 2008
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
Here is my five step plan for getting mentally prepared for next year’s Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, or any other race that you may have.
date : October 4, 2007
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
It was the morning of Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, I felt queasy. I didn't want to eat or drink anything. I had a full blown case of the pre-race HEEBEE GEEBEES.

date : June 6, 2006
author : Ingrid Loos
comments : 4
A bad race left me smoldering, but time and a gentle breeze ignited my passion to race again.