General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Unscheduled rest days Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-06-15 8:30 PM

User image

Subject: Unscheduled rest days
How often, if ever, do you guys take unscheduled rest days? I'm on a total guilt trip on myself since I skipped or shortened a lot of my workouts this week but I did actually get my 5hr bike/1hr run in today. I did my first HIM last week and I didn't feel tired or sore at all but I kept telling myself "oh..it's a little late for your 2nd workout + you just did a HIM..." and I sort of lost motivation. I think I have it back though but still curious how often you take an unscheduled rest day. I do for sure now if I'm sick since I learned the hard way that if I do any workouts while sick, it just prolongs it by 2x-3x for me. Better to just bite the bullet and rest up.

2013-06-16 12:50 PM
in reply to: Blastman

User image

Elite
Roswell, GA
Subject: RE: Unscheduled rest days

Let it go.

Sure, it's important to hit all your workouts, but we all need to keep some perspective.  Your race will hinge on all your workouts instead of the couple you missed or cut short.   

Not over cooking the bike will have the biggest impact!  

2013-06-17 2:49 PM

User image

I personally didn't take many breaks unless I thought I needed it physically. YouTube is your friend when it comes to motivation. I use to watch videos everyday to pump me up and keep me focused.
2013-06-17 3:28 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
I will take an unscheduled rest day if I am just smoked from training and can't bring any kind of quality to the workout. Say my usualy recovery run is around 8:45 mpm and today it is 10:30 at the same effort level. I know that I need a lite or full rest day tomorrow or it will be completely impossible for me to do 800 repeats on Wed and I will drag all week. Better to get the rest and be back on track the next day. That said I complete the full distance of 95-99 % of my workouts. Things like illness, a recent HIM, etc., make that judgement more important. So you going lite for 1-2 weeks after a HIM is fine. But going lite every week, is a different matter. Your body knows what fatigue load you are carying, the little white piece of paper, not so much. It is a trining plan... plan being the key word, it can be changed to meet the needs of your body. So ya let it go, but don't let everything go.

Edited by Baowolf 2013-06-17 3:29 PM
2013-06-18 9:52 AM
in reply to: Baowolf

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
I travel 7-8 days a month on business so even though I run on the road there are usually 2-3 days a month that I can't workout. I just add another workout later in the week or I take it as a rest day, no biggie. Based upon my current fitness level I do not feel that missing a day every once and a while will make any difference in my training.
2013-06-18 10:29 AM

I'll do an unscheduled rest day every now and then if something pops up that I need to do or if my body is just tired from a hard workout, work, stress, etc. I still try to get some activity in though to a guess "make-up" for the lost training session like taking the dog for an extra long walk.

2013-06-19 10:47 PM
in reply to: andy515

User image

Well I'm back on schedule...sort of. I was all prepped to get on the trainer but I decided to skip today's workout. Arg... This is my short weekday workout of only an hour on bike and 30 min run so I don't feel too bad. I seriously needed to get some home things finished up so I'm not grabbing clean cloths from laundry hampers I set out a few days ago and today was the only day I could possible have time to mow the yard. I feel bad but being able to walk around my home without the fear of tripping is nice. I can definitely tell that training on the bike is what gets to me the most. I dread it so much and that's what I use for my all weekday workouts. I used to feel the same way about the treadmill but I found it to be a nice tool for intervals and it's easier on the knees. Just a mental game it seems.

What are you guys planning to do about the 4th of July? I'm sort of freaking out about that now too. It's only training but I think I may be able to get most of my training in, as long as the gym's pool is open.
2013-06-20 7:24 AM

Master
Northern IL
Keep on training unless plans for something else come up.
2013-06-20 7:48 AM

User image

Master
Charlotte
I think it was in my Pfitzinger Advanced Marathoning book, but in there he had a chart:

If missing < 10 days in a row, continue the plan where you left off.
If missing > 10 days in a row, re-evaluate the plan.

I got totally burnt out this spring trying to BQ. We went on a 7 day cruise during a peek week. I basically skipped 9 days of running including two 18-20m runs. I ran a total of 9 miles over 9 days and ate/drank myself silly on the cruise. Came home refreshed and continued on with the plan w/o any adjustments. Didn't effect my overall fitness one bit (still got the BQ), and certainly helped my mental state.

Don't let the burnout linger. It is your brains way of telling you to scale back or take a total break.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Unscheduled rest days Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

IM training rest day

Started by DylanNickerson
Views: 1549 Posts: 10

2012-09-13 1:48 PM TriBoilermaker

Rest during transitions?

Started by tri_d00d
Views: 2251 Posts: 16

2010-07-03 9:14 AM runnergirl

Full rest day or no?

Started by UrsusAdiposimus
Views: 5607 Posts: 22

2010-04-20 4:23 PM LazyMarathoner

Train through HIM, or taper and rest?

Started by Experior
Views: 1161 Posts: 5

2009-04-17 8:11 PM Experior

mixing in rest days and weight training

Started by tulsa mike
Views: 1138 Posts: 4

2008-06-04 2:25 PM getsome
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 19, 2010
author : Patrick McCrann
comments : 1
Part 2 is about race day pacing, warming up and a discussion on the usefulness of powermeters and heart-rate monitors for half and full Iron distance races.

date : May 5, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 0
A few tips for beginners during taper week to settle your nerves. Includes a race day checklist and some race day tips.
date : November 16, 2008
author : Nancy Clark
Learn more about protein intake, iron, post exercise food, recovering with carbs and protein, rest days, fluids and sodium.

date : August 8, 2008
author : Coach AJ
Discussions on race day weakness, long course nutrition, RPE on race day and the key to a successful Ironman marathon
date : July 2, 2006
author : acbadger
Is there a magic number of days off for your training plan? Is it a one size fits all or an an individual choice?

date : June 14, 2005
author : tomp
Tips on swimming, biking and running to race-day lessons from this beginners first five months of training.
date : August 30, 2004
author : sherrick
comments : 2
Becoming a Better Animal: How to Effectively Use Your Heart Rate Monitor.

date : August 30, 2004
author : sherrick
Becoming a Better Animal: How to Effectively Use Your Heart Rate Monitor.