General Discussion Triathlon Talk » more aggressive position on road bike Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-06-17 12:52 PM

User image

Elite
Miami
Subject: more aggressive position on road bike
have not posted here in a while, regardless....here goes.

recently bought an r5 and had a retul fitting done this weekend, seems like the fitter didn't adjust anything at all, he touched the bike one time and moved up the seat. not only is the front very high and with 6 spacers (his argument was i am not flexible at all when I asked to lower front) i also felt quite uncomfortable on the bike versus my cervelo s2. i have ridden it twice and since the front is so damn high i felt like i am going to crash taking turns.

i have not ridden with my power meter yet, but i do seem much slower versus the s2. i feel like i can go much lower on this thing, since the bike has a high stack.

so here is the question if i simply take the spacers out from the front would this put me in a more aggressive position and would i have to adjust something else to maintain correct angles elsewhere? new to fitting on roadbike. sorry don't have pictures.

2013-06-17 12:55 PM
in reply to: trix

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ
Subject: RE: more aggressive position on road bike
Everything I've ever been told is you can drop spacers without any other issues. I suppose if it was an enormous drop you may be stretching out your reach a tiny bit but probably not enough to be concerned with.
2013-06-17 1:00 PM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Slam that stem :P

Welcome back dude.
2013-06-17 1:05 PM
in reply to: Leegoocrap

User image

Elite
Miami
okey dokey....that sob is getting slammed tonight.
2013-06-17 1:09 PM
in reply to: Leegoocrap

User image

Elite
Miami
Originally posted by Leegoocrap

Slam that stem :P

Welcome back dude.

would i bring the seat forward a little or no?
2013-06-17 1:10 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Plano, National Capital Region
You may also move your seat a tiny bit forward depending on how much you take out. My advise - do it progressively. Just take a spacer or 2 out and ride it for a few hundred miles, then remove another one.

For me, my fitting was almost a year-long process. I did a Retul fit and worked with my fitter for probably a year. I came back after about 300-400 miles and checked with him again, giving feedback on whether there was something that needed to be looked into. I like my fit now and don't have issues but I still try and see him about once a year. He only charged me for the first Retul fit so the adjustments/maintenance didn't cost me anything.

Also, any reason you didn't just move over your S2 fit to the R5?

Edited by m2tx 2013-06-17 1:11 PM

2013-06-17 1:10 PM
in reply to: m2tx

User image

Elite
Miami
Originally posted by m2tx

You may also move your seat a tiny bit forward depending on how much you take out. My advise - do it progressively. Just take a spacer or 2 out and ride it for a few hundred miles, then remove another one.

For me, my fitting was almost a year-long process. I did a Retul fit and worked with my fitter for probably a year. I came back after about 300-400 miles and checked with him again, giving feedback on whether there was something that needed to be looked into. I like my fit now and don't have issues but I still try and see him about once a year. He only charged me for the first Retul fit so the adjustments/maintenance didn't cost me anything.

thanks.....
2013-06-17 1:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
If you're *just* taking out spacers, then just thinking geometrically, yes of course something changes. You'd be dropping your torso, rotating your upper body forward, but not rotating the rest of you with it. The seat would have to move forward and the seat height would go up to keep the same angles. As an illustration, let's say your seat and bars were exactly level with one another. Draw two points on on a piece of paper and draw lines going straight *up* from each, in parallel. Take another piece of paper and put two marks on one edge of the same distance as the two lines on your other piece, then lay it on top so everything aligns. Now rotate the top piece from the middle - you'll see one mark move down and back, and the other mark move forward and up. The one that moves down and back would represent your spacers coming off - but of course it doesn't move back, which means the seat actually moves more forward than the distance of the spacer.
Of course at some point you're going to hit a wall - might be flexibility\comfort, might be seat height range, saddle fore\aft range, you get the idea. All that being said, if a professional fitter put you on a bike with 6 spacers, I'd be pretty suspect. Sounds like you got sold the wrong bike by a quack.
2013-06-17 2:55 PM
in reply to: fisherman76

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho
I don't know much about geometry, but when you bend at the waist-your butt sticks out.  The further you bend forward-the MORE your butt goes BACKWARD.  I'm not a 'fitter' (but I did sleep in a Holiday Inn Express), but when I drop my stack height, I shorten the reach and slide my seat BACK on the rails.  just my .02
2013-06-17 4:07 PM
in reply to: jeffnboise

User image

Elite
Miami
i just think its funny when it comes to these so called "fitter" experts.

they seem to hide behind the comfort and flexibility cloak. i am not saying that you want to take a non racing cycling enthusiast riding 2-3 hrs per week into a pro low level position.

but considering i tell these fitters, i ride 15 hours per week, have 4 bikes, and race. wouldn't they deduct, oh i get it so you want to be more aggressive and aero and fast. i think most don't even have a clue of what aero means. the fitter actually told me well in this position you will produce extra 30 watts. yeah that is great, except i will need 50 watts to ride the same speed in this position to get the same speed as my other bike.

sorry i guess its frustrating to pay 250 for a fitting and be setup like a tourist. yes please set up a top of the line 14 lb bike like my grand mothers beach cruiser.
2013-06-17 5:20 PM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Originally posted by trix
sorry i guess its frustrating to pay 250 for a fitting and be setup like a tourist. yes please set up a top of the line 14 lb bike like my grand mothers beach cruiser.

You need a new fitter! A good bike fitter understands your goals, but that doesn't mean that you will be fitted in the lowest possible position. Yes, aerodynamics is important, but there's a balance between... wait for it... wait for it... comfort and efficiency. The goal for any bike fit is to make you faster of the given distances you race.

2013-06-17 5:21 PM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
.. oh, and don't move that seat... That's the first parameter you fix in a bike fit, the riders position in relationship to the bottom bracket, then you move everything from that central point. The handle bars should fit you, not trying to fit you to the handle bars... Keep the seat where it is and adjust the additional reach by shorter stem.
2013-06-17 8:16 PM
in reply to: audiojan

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
I got a Retul fit about 4 months ago and one of the first questions asked was "what distance?" Had I told him sprint/OLY distance the fit would have been more aggressive. I told him fit me for HIM distances so the fit will take comfort into consideration. I'm quite happy with my fit and haven't adjusted a thing yet. Hopefully he asked you that very question from the start.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » more aggressive position on road bike Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Experimenting with more aggressive aero position

Started by jsiegs
Views: 1615 Posts: 4

2010-08-30 4:12 PM aprilia4life

Road bike- upright geometry or more aggressive?

Started by smoom
Views: 1003 Posts: 1

2009-03-05 7:22 PM smoom

More Aggressive Bike Position

Started by CKinsey
Views: 2731 Posts: 12

2007-09-16 1:33 AM AusVirgin

Aero position on road bike

Started by Drewwhite
Views: 1371 Posts: 14

2006-07-12 4:05 PM mndiver

Aggressive Aero Riding Position

Started by bfraley
Views: 1070 Posts: 4

2005-03-02 12:02 PM Steve-
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 26, 2013
author : mikericci
comments : 0
If you are a person who feels safer on the trails rather than the road, but you still want to race, this article will help you better train.

date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."
date : April 20, 2009
I'm considering a road frame buildup, what considerations should I take into account when swapping all of my components from my current setup to a new frame?

date : December 27, 2008
comments : 9
Are you a beginner triathlete? This video will compare triathlon bikes and road bikes to help you figure out what is best for you as you begin your triathlon training.
date : September 9, 2008
Many things will influence your triathlon bike position, but if you are forced to set your position up on your own, there are several overall guidelines that should help.

date : March 17, 2008
author : CPT
In this third segment, Colorado Premier Training goes through several bike position tests to improve on rider efficiency. This was accomplished by varying the saddle height and aerobar width.
date : December 5, 2007
author : Coach AJ
comments : 2
What makes a triathlon bike a triathlon bike? Learn about angles, seating, position, aerobars, and the importance of a proper bike fit.

date : July 30, 2006
author : Valdora Cycles
comments : 8
The triathlon bike vs. road bike quandary. Before you even ask the road bike vs. tri bike question, you should have a couple sprint triathlons or duathlons under your belt.