Healthy Life Activities
14C / 57F
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 35m 49s
Overall Rank = 92/149
Age Group = 18-39
Age Group Rank = 44/50
Pre-race routine:

Arrived at Laugharne (Lanrn) on the Friday afternoon. A beautiful place on the South West coast of Wales. The camp site we stayed at was right next door to a pretty little church yard, whose two most famous residents are Dylan Thomas and his wife Caitlin (Dylan used to stay at the boat house in Laughatne and this is where he wrote Under Milkwood). Set up the tent at the camp site, then went to meet up with friends and family at a local bar.

There was a fair bit of conversation going on about the triathlon and whether or not the swim would go ahead because there was crazy wind going on and that rain that somehow manages to fall sideways!?!

To cut a long story short, I had a bout 7 pints of beer/lager and went to bed ( I had been up for 37 hours by this time because I had worked the previous night). After 4.5 hours of glorious sleep, I/we were woken by my DS, whom, after being woken by the storm that was trying to take our tent away, decided it was bright enough to want to play. Another 3 hours of trying to get DS back to sleep, and failing miserably, I resigned to the fact that I had to get up and get ready. It was now 07:00am. Registration took place at 09:00am.
Event warmup:

Managed to get down to a car park near the event and fought the wind (20 mph but felt stronger) to reach transition/registration. Usual business of setting up etc. Swim was due to start 10:45 am, just before high tide. We just stood around watching the organisers failing to manage to get past the 100 meters of breakers in order to take the buoys out to their locations. After 1.5 hours of the trying, lol, the RD made a call and deemed it too dangerous for the swim, so it would be changed to 3kmR, 24kmB, 5kmR. Stripped out of wetsuit and put some warm clothing on as we now had to wait an hour or so for the tide to go back out to give us room to run on the beach. Humph... I wasn't too happy about the change, as I'm still nursing a gimpy foot and wanted the swim in order to freeze the foot a bit so I'd get rid of the pain. Hey Ho, suck it up.
Run
  • 12m 41s
  • 2.74 kms
  • 04m 27s  min/km
Comments:

Supposed to be 3km but garmin measured it at 2.75km, may have been because of the switch back at the turnaround. Felt like 1.5km out, but 3 km back with that wind. Plus the sand was softer under foot than expected due to the sand still being wet. Plus we had to dodge loads of seaweed/driftwood.

Really difficult to pick my way through the crowd at the beginning, a lot of bunching going on due to lack of space to run.
What would you do differently?:

Not expect anything different with a gimpy foot.
Transition 1
  • 00m 59s
Comments:

69th overall. Not too bad, could be quicker if my foot didn't hurt getting in/out of shoes. I've tried attaching the shoes to the pedals and getting in them whilst on the bike, but still haven't mastered that. Fastest T1 time was 23s, like, Fachmie.

I dunno
Bike
  • 53m 53s
  • 24 kms
  • 26.72 km/hr
Comments:

FFS big time. This is where it all went Pete Tong.

Jumped on the bike at mount line, free wheeled down the hill a bit to get clipped in, clipped in easy enough. Took the 1st left hand 90 deg bend onto the main road where we'd travel for 50-100m before doing a U-turn to go on the 1st lap. Disaster, started pedaling and chain came of the front ring. Unclipped and stopped, put chain back on, noticed my front derailleur had been bent in. I tried to bend it out a bit and set off again. Chain came off the front and had jammed in the back cog. The front derailleur had completely snapped and had become tangled in amongst the rear cogs. AAAAAHHHHHHHH.

I hoisted the bike onto my shoulder and carried it in toward T1 to inform that I'm gonna DNF for the 1st time :( Felt like crying. By this time a crowd had gathered around, I guess in the hope of seeing some blood :) Me and a marshal assessed the damage and we managed to free the metal. Someone suggested that if I could split the chain and remover the piece I could slap the chain on the big ring and crack on :) Genius, why didn't I think of that, oh yeah, 'cos my brain was frazzled with race jitters. Took another few minutes to do that, thank Fachmie I had a chain splitter and power links on me :) The marshal then asked if I was gonna have a little test ride around to check it out? Um, nope, bets get on with the race.

I had a lot of ground to gain, I was now last out of T1 by a long way. It would take me nearly 6 km in order to catch up with the person who was last but one. This was on the 10-11% gradient hill we had to climb up at the mid point of each of the two laps. That hill wasn't nice stuck in the big ring. Basically I had to get up out of the saddle and grind my way up both times. This was not nice to my poor little quads (have a little look at the group photo afterwards to see the shape of my quads lol) but at least I was passing people and gaining positions.

On the 2nd time I was coming down the hill we climbed I was about 10 meters behind someone else. They were free wheeling and I was in the big ring/gear pedaling like crazy and was just keeping up, perhaps gaining a bit of ground. This makes me wonder if something is seriously wrong with my bike. Most probably my wheels need a major service, or hubs/wheels need upgrading?? Any ideas.

It was nice doing the two loop course because at the end of the laps we rode through Pendine where I got a big cheer off everyone that saw the drama at T1 with my bike. Made me suck it in and push harder.

The only problem with the course was the chip and seal surface, the potholes, the speed bumps FFS, and the cars I got stuck behind who wouldn't over take a girl free wheeling down at 10mph the 1st time I went back down the hill. Oh, and the relentless wind, meh.

Buy a brand new bike each time I race and have a crack team of pygmy bike mechanics on hand to service it hourly.

I don't think there was much I could do, I ran through the gears when I oiled up the bike whilst setting up. The only thing I could think of that caused it was the wind blowing the bikes racked up in transition and the derailleur getting bumped.
Transition 2
  • 00m 57s
Comments:

79 overall, not too bad but room for improvement.

Search me?!?
Run
  • 26m 17s
  • 5.1 kms
  • 05m 11s  min/km
Comments:

Still gimping along on foot, but not too bad. Main prob now was my legs were wasted from the bike catch up.

Really don't like the out and back courses because that 2.5 km turnaround point looks mighty far in the distance. Also, the field was pretty spread out by the time I got there.

One good thing, I didn't get passed by anyone on either the run or bike, and just kept picking off people. The wind was relentless on the return journey and my pace dropped considerably after doing the 1st 2.55 km in 12:20.

Bit confusing to find out where the finish was when getting back because of people milling around near it.

I feel I gave whatever I had and had to swallow a little bit of sick down right at the end, Eurgghhh.

Grow a pair? Foot transplant.
Post race
Warm down:

Got my tech shirt, banana and water for finishing, sheez, thanks. Hid from the hailstones until realizing that there wasn't gonna be an award ceremony. Went back to the campsite, showered, straight to the bar and drank until x o'clock in the morning :)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Crap bike, crap body.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2012-12-31 12:00 AM
Running
00:12:41 | 02.74 kms | 04m 27s  min/km
Age Group: 0/50
Overall: 70/149
Performance:
Course: Out and back along a wind swept beach. Wind behind us on route out, smacking us in the face all the way back.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
T1
Time: 00:59
Overall: Good
Run with bike? Average
Jump on bike?
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Average
Biking
00:53:53 | 24 kms | 26.72 km/hr
Overall: 109/149
Performance: Average
Wind:
Course: Out and back two loop course with 49m, 10-11% gradient toward the end that had to be climbed twice.
Road: Rough Wet Cadence: 77
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Bad Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:57
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Bad
Running
00:26:17 | 05.1 kms | 05m 11s  min/km
Overall: 69/149
Performance: Below average
Course: Same out and back across beach.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Bad
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2013-06-18 8:47 AM

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
Subject: Pendine Sprint Tri(changed to Du)

2013-06-18 9:09 AM
in reply to: #4779642

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Subject: RE: Pendine Sprint Tri(changed to Du)
Way to tough it out!  Sorry about the bike woes :-/
2013-06-18 9:25 AM
in reply to: #4779642

User image

Melon Presser

Fachmie, you do not have a crap body oh wait this is a RR reply ...

Way to go powering on with a broken bike and a bit of a broken-down body ... I know a bit about that ... BIG RING BIKERS ROCK.

That is all.

2013-06-18 10:10 AM
in reply to: TriAya

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Fachmie you're impressive!! 

Very impressed that you not only found a way to keep going on the bike, but also start picking people off once you were able to get over the Pete Tong-ness (LOVE that reference BTW), and THEN keep picking people off on the second run.  DANG!

Maybe give the gimpy foot a bit of a rest now?  Or look into that transplant you mentioned. 

2013-06-18 1:35 PM
in reply to: TriAya

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Dayum!!!!!!!!!! Nice job staying at it after all kinds of chit went wrong!!!!!!

And I'm with Yanti on the crap body comment. I think you need to change your avvie to that first pic. Tongue out

2013-06-18 1:44 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Seattle

What an exciting race report!

Damn man, nice work!

Super cute pic too, I agree, that should be the new avvie

2013-06-18 4:16 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pennsylvania
Love your gratuitous use of Fachmie in your RR, Darren!   Fachmie!  Tough day with the wind and the bike and the still gimpy foot.  And the 7 pints you drank as part of the pre-race routine the night before surely helped fuel you on race day!

Edited by melbo55 2013-06-18 4:16 PM
2013-06-19 6:21 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Awesome work under such Fachmie circumstances! Way to git 'er done Laughing
2013-06-19 8:49 PM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Fachmie, you got yourself back into it  pretty well after the delayed start and bike mechanical.  

Great job pushing through!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Pendine Sprint Tri(changed to Du) Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Pendine Sprint Tri

Started by Bills1954
Views: 622 Posts: 1

2012-07-11 11:54 PM Bills1954

Tri for Our Veterans: Sea Isle City's Tri & Du

Started by billsorg
Views: 1006 Posts: 2

2009-05-27 12:52 PM 40isnotold

GRAND HAVEN "Y" TRI, DU & SPRINT TRI

Started by mitrigirl
Views: 1052 Posts: 3

2005-07-13 3:43 PM trixie

Du State Du

Started by triman50
Views: 1049 Posts: 3

2004-08-21 9:28 AM Lara

Du Donnie Du

Started by NOGILLS
Views: 1088 Posts: 1

2004-04-07 7:26 PM NOGILLS
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 21, 2011
author : etra77
comments : 0
Aunt and Nephew do their first Sprint Triathlon together

date : July 28, 2009
author : Coach AJ
comments : 1
I'm doing the 22 week sprint tri program and the 2 mile bike ride it starts with is not very challenging. I see this as a opportunity to train the right way and challenge myself. Any ideas?
date : October 7, 2008
author : gczarski
This past spring I realized a few of us were heading in the wrong direction physically. We were getting together for poker games and kids’ birthdays, but that was it.

date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.
date : May 5, 2008
author : mrakes1
Did you flat training or racing on your tubular tire? This video will show you everything you need to do to change your tubular tire.

date : April 1, 2008
author : trvw
The challenge? The accomplishment? I want to do this because it is an opportunity to live life. The event is an indoor sprint triathlon. I get to experience the challenge on a safer scale.
date : January 30, 2006
author : acbadger
Should I have time goals for the first sprint? Should I just finish the race at a reasonable pace? I'm not sure how to approach this.

date : September 5, 2004
author : Team BT
During this past year, I’ve found that there are secrets “out there” - hidden fitness secrets and tips.