General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ingenious Triathletes Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-06-20 9:20 AM

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
Subject: Ingenious Triathletes
This past weekend I was putting my wetsuit on...or rather...I was shimmying and dancing around on the beach pulling it on and getting it adjusted. After it was on, I watched an older, obviously more experienced, athlete calmly put a plastic wal-mart sack over his feet and lower legs and pull his wetsuit on effortlessly. Mind. Blown. This makes me wonder, what other ingenious tricks do you more experienced athletes practice?

2013-06-20 9:33 AM
in reply to: dprocket

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Ingenious Triathletes
I make sure I have 2-3 bags in case one rips . That is something l learned as well.
2013-06-20 10:04 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

Originally posted by dprocket This past weekend I was putting my wetsuit on...or rather...I was shimmying and dancing around on the beach pulling it on and getting it adjusted. After it was on, I watched an older, obviously more experienced, athlete calmly put a plastic wal-mart sack over his feet and lower legs and pull his wetsuit on effortlessly. Mind. Blown. This makes me wonder, what other ingenious tricks do you more experienced athletes practice?

The plastic bag trick works great.  A wetsuit is also really, really easy to put on in water as the water fills up the arms and legs making it super easy to get on.  That only works if you can get into the water prior to the race start obviously.

Other easy things to speed things up:

- Lube up everything with Body Glide, Aquaphor, whatever.

- Put a spare tube under your seat.  Doesn't always work with every seat or seat post.

- Some sort of elastic lace or easy lace system for your running shoes.  Most people know this already.

- Roll up your arm coolers/warmers (if you use them) like you would socks or panty hose.  Put them on your wrists like bracelets in T1 and roll them up once you start riding your bike.  Trying to put on arm coolers/warmers without rolling them up and with wet arms is a multi-minute task.

- Use a sandwich or snack size ziplock baggie for your running "stuff" for a IM or HIM.  I use a snack sized baggie and put in a 1 oz. tube of sunscreen, 1 oz tube of Aquaphor, Chapstick, and my Salt Sticks.  That way all the little things are neatly organized so you can just put on your shoes, socks, hat, sunglasses, grab the little baggie and go.  Put the baggie in one of your pockets once you get moving.  I then apply the sunscreen while running as opposed to standing around in transition wasting time.

Edited by GMAN 19030 2013-06-20 10:07 AM
2013-06-20 10:10 AM
in reply to: GMAN 19030

User image

One I learned from some experienced folks before my first sprint tri last weekend was that when you come out of the water, take your cap and goggles off, then as you unzip and pull down your wetsuit to your waist (as you come out of the water), pull the goggles/cap through so they get caught in one of the sleeves. This way you don't need to fuss with them when you get to your bike - nor do you have to worry about losing them.

Worked like a charm for me! And I never would have thought of it on my own.

2013-06-20 10:37 AM
in reply to: Sandtiger

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

Originally posted by Sandtiger

One I learned from some experienced folks before my first sprint tri last weekend was that when you come out of the water, take your cap and goggles off, then as you unzip and pull down your wetsuit to your waist (as you come out of the water), pull the goggles/cap through so they get caught in one of the sleeves. This way you don't need to fuss with them when you get to your bike - nor do you have to worry about losing them. Worked like a charm for me! And I never would have thought of it on my own.

Interesting.  My first event of this season was also my first event in a wet suit.  I took off my goggles/cap before I took my arms out of my wet suit and I felt like I had to juggle my googles/cap back and forth as I pulled my arms from my sleeves.  Next time I have an OWS practice I'll give this trick a try.

2013-06-20 11:00 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
If you do a race where you have to check your bike in the day before and the wind is blowing, keep some rope in your bag. Tie the saddle to the rack. I've seen many a bikes on the ground the next morning. Remember to untie it before you go swim unless you are in the male 35-39 age group.

2013-06-20 11:08 AM
in reply to: GAUG3

If it's an all-day event like an HIM or IM where the weather looks like rain, I put my stuff inside a large trash bag to keep things semi-dry. I'm not competitive at those distances, so the extra few seconds it takes getting into the bag is worth it for dry shoes.

At my IM-distance in Ocala it rained hard during the swim, if my running and shoes hadn't been inside the trash bag, they would've been soaked. Not a huge thing, but it was nice to ride and run w/ dry shoes.
2013-06-20 11:11 AM
in reply to: danimal123

User image

Expert
Plastic bags + PAM (or other non stick spray) for super easy glide on action.
2013-06-20 6:37 PM
in reply to: magic

User image

Can someone please further explain this plastic bag thing? I've never seen it.
2013-06-20 6:47 PM
in reply to: RunningJoke

User image

Expert
, Michigan
Originally posted by RunningJoke

Get a plastic grocery bag. Put it over your foot....no need to tie it or anything...just slip it over your foot. Stick your foot through your wetsuit leg until the bag and your foot appear out the other end. Voila! Repeat with second leg and both hands.
2013-06-20 7:23 PM
in reply to: DV 1

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Guam
OP---After doing triathlons for only 3 years I have lots of "ingenious tricks", but first, are you in my AG?

2013-06-20 9:38 PM

User image

Sportsglide on your heels helps you get your socks and/or shoes on easier at T1.
2013-06-20 9:48 PM
in reply to: GMAN 19030

User image

Regular
Texas
Originally posted by GMAN 19030

Roll up your arm coolers/warmers (if you use them) like you would socks or panty hose.  Put them on your wrists like bracelets in T1 and roll them up once you start riding your bike.  Trying to put on arm coolers/warmers without rolling them up and with wet arms is a multi-minute task.

This is genius.
2013-06-20 10:12 PM
in reply to: baldridges

User image

Extreme Veteran
If it is cold and windy and rainy...and you are in a pinch, aid station cups can come in handy:

-Over your cycling shoes to protect your toes
-Down your shorts to protect your junk.
2013-06-20 11:08 PM
in reply to: baldridges

User image

Master
Salt Lake City
Originally posted by baldridges

Originally posted by GMAN 19030

Roll up your arm coolers/warmers (if you use them) like you would socks or panty hose.  Put them on your wrists like bracelets in T1 and roll them up once you start riding your bike.  Trying to put on arm coolers/warmers without rolling them up and with wet arms is a multi-minute task.

This is genius.

I never wear arm coolers/warmers, but I do this with my socks in T2.
2013-06-21 1:22 AM
in reply to: DV 1

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Kobenhavns Kommune
Originally posted by DV 1

Originally posted by RunningJoke

Get a plastic grocery bag. Put it over your foot....no need to tie it or anything...just slip it over your foot. Stick your foot through your wetsuit leg until the bag and your foot appear out the other end. Voila! Repeat with second leg and both hands.

I have found that not any plastic bag will do: The heavy reusable plastic backs sticks to the skin and are difficult to pull out, the non-reusable are just perfect.

Also: Adjust the sleeves in place while you still have the plastic bag on, then hold on the sleeve while pulling out the bag. Once the bag is off it's very difficult to turn the sleeves or pull them up. With a deep (?) bag that goes all the way up your arms it is really easy to adjust the sleeves.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ingenious Triathletes Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Hurricane Charley...A plea to all triathletes.

Started by ASA22
Views: 1032 Posts: 9

2004-08-27 10:22 PM trigurl123

Triathletes Don't Smoke!!!! Pages: 1 2

Started by fgalvan102
Views: 3682 Posts: 31

2013-06-20 1:43 PM MLPFS

Active.com article - TRIATHLETES: DEVELOPING FORCE ON THE BIKE

Started by DRM
Views: 1128 Posts: 6

2004-04-30 7:48 PM umbach

Triathletes in other sports

Started by lincsguyus
Views: 955 Posts: 2

2004-04-14 4:50 PM Lara

Planning a Week with the Triathletes Training Bible

Started by awamser
Views: 1284 Posts: 2

2004-02-18 11:53 PM DharmaBum
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 30, 2011
comments : 0
How do you incorporate marathon training into a triathlon training plan?

date : August 31, 2011
author : Mandoline
comments : 6
The epic adventure of my first Olympic Tri at 13 years old.
date : March 10, 2011
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 1
Tinley on triathlon, aging, and the attitude of a masters athlete

date : June 21, 2006
author : Ron
Just because it makes you want to cheer, here are some more video clips.
date : November 27, 2005
author : Ontherun
For most age-group triathletes, getting the most out of there time for quality workouts can be daunting. Think outside the triangle to get a little more.

date : September 8, 2004
author : promotion
comments : 4
ProMotion continues to excel in the Triathlon wetsuit market with evolved designs widely regarded as the finest available and loyal support from athletes worldwide.
date : September 3, 2004
Some yoga poses to help endurance athletes prevent injuries through stretching.

date : September 3, 2004
Reasons why yoga will help endurance athletes prevent injuries through stretching.