General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swimming - closer to race day should I do intervals or distance training Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-06-21 8:18 AM

User image

Regular
Levittown, PA
Subject: Swimming - closer to race day should I do intervals or distance training
First off, let me start by saying that I learned to swim at the end of January and have been thrilled with my results so far. I used to just get in the pool and do very slow methodical lap after lap. I thought my goal would be to just swim further and further every time I worked out. After doing this for awhile I ended up swimming my first mile non stop in 47 mins. I came to the boards and was all excited and posted about it and I got a bunch of congrats but also got several people telling me that now I need to start interval work. For the past few months I have done exclusively nothing but intervals. Almost all of my training is doing 50 and 100yd intervals at about 80-90% effort with about a 30 seconds rest in between. I would do like 12 x 100 and then 12 x 50's. I have my eye on my 2nd race ever in August and its a 860yd swim. I did my first long swim in a few months today to see how I felt. I did 850yds in 17' 34". This was a HUUUUGE improvement over my 47 min mile time a few months ago. I can definitely see where the interval work is helping me with my speed, but I want to make sure I have the stamina for the 860 yards on race day. I felt pretty good at the end of the 850 yards, wasn't drained and could have actually swam a bit faster, but I wanted to pick a pace where I knew I could cover the distance today.

My question is this - Since I am a relatively new swimmer (Since January), I know that I haven't really built up a big base yet. Most of my workouts are around the 1600 yard range (due to limited workout time). I want to know if it is better to continue doing exclusively interval work at short distances or if I should start implementing 800 to 1000yd sets into my workout earlier and then finish with some interval work. My thinking is that it might be better for me to do some long sets over the next few weeks to get my body used to swimming longer distances again. I just want to be sure that I have a ton left in my tank for the bike and run. Opinions?

2013-06-21 8:26 AM
in reply to: spiderjunior

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Subject: RE: Swimming - closer to race day should I do intervals or distance training
Here's an example of what I would do since you are limited to ~1500 for your whole workout.

200 choice
2x100 technical with :20 rest
8x25 all out on :60

16x50 with :05 rest aiming to maintain even pace throughout (race effort)

200 choice

In addition, if you haven't done any open water swimming, then I would aim to get a few open water swim sessions in; practice sighting, dealing with waves, entries, exits, etc. However, in the pool, I would stick with short sets with short rest as your key workouts.

Shane
2013-06-21 8:45 AM
in reply to: gsmacleod

User image

Regular
Levittown, PA
Subject: RE: Swimming - closer to race day should I do intervals or distance training
Thanks Shane, I have yet to OWS. I have a day planned in 2 weeks to go to the local lake with a fellow training partner. We are roughly the same build and he said he will let me try on his wet suit as well. I have been trying to take advantage of the deal BT has with xterra and get a new vector suit but they are on back order. Hopefully the OWS goes well. Crossing my fingers
2013-06-21 10:33 AM
in reply to: spiderjunior

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Shane's advice is good. But I would do a few continuous swims at/near your race distance as raceday approaches. Perhaps once per week for the last 3-4 weeks of your trianing. If one if them can be an OWS, all the better. Do one or two at intended race pace (I suggest your OWS + one close to race day--use wetsuit for both if you intend to race in one) and one or two as 'best effort' (i.e., not saving anything for a bike/run afterwards). Include a warm-up.
2013-06-22 7:41 AM
in reply to: JohnnyKay

User image

Regular
Levittown, PA
Originally posted by JohnnyKay

Shane's advice is good. But I would do a few continuous swims at/near your race distance as raceday approaches. Perhaps once per week for the last 3-4 weeks of your trianing. If one if them can be an OWS, all the better. Do one or two at intended race pace (I suggest your OWS + one close to race day--use wetsuit for both if you intend to race in one) and one or two as 'best effort' (i.e., not saving anything for a bike/run afterwards). Include a warm-up.

Thanks for the advice. Sounds like a solid plan
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swimming - closer to race day should I do intervals or distance training Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Rest intervals in swim training

Started by mammatri's
Views: 1574 Posts: 9

2009-03-22 5:41 AM rottieguy

how close is swim-run to swim-bike?

Started by mdickson68
Views: 937 Posts: 5

2008-07-25 2:17 PM Shoeless

How close is too close for races?

Started by fgray
Views: 1281 Posts: 12

2007-07-20 2:40 PM hazmaster

To swim or not to swim...intervals

Started by guncollector
Views: 1745 Posts: 17

2006-10-09 5:48 PM guncollector

Ideas on resuming training close to race time?

Started by davido
Views: 488 Posts: 2

2005-03-29 8:54 AM trirn
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 19, 2010
author : Patrick McCrann
comments : 1
Part 2 is about race day pacing, warming up and a discussion on the usefulness of powermeters and heart-rate monitors for half and full Iron distance races.

date : May 5, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 0
A few tips for beginners during taper week to settle your nerves. Includes a race day checklist and some race day tips.
date : August 8, 2008
author : Coach AJ
Discussions on race day weakness, long course nutrition, RPE on race day and the key to a successful Ironman marathon

date : June 11, 2008
author : Team BT
comments : 2
Are you about to race your first triathlon? Here are two great tips on swimming your first open water triathlon race.
date : June 27, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
Questions and answers on wetsuit swimming, cadence, interval time, paddle benefit, hand entry, runners kick drills, bilateral breathing and race breathing.

date : November 6, 2006
author : Tri Swim Coach
Interval training is essential to improving your swim time. Here are a few examples of setting up your swim interval training.
date : June 14, 2005
author : tomp
comments : 1
Tips on swimming, biking and running to race-day lessons from this beginners first five months of training.

date : September 5, 2004
author : Ron
Good tips for training and race-day