General Discussion Race Reports! » Summerfest Rock 'n Sole Half Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Summerfest Rock 'n Sole Half Marathon - Run

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
United States
Milwaukee World Festival, Inc.
70F / 21C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 58m 55s
Overall Rank = 1336/3590
Age Group = M 40 - 44
Age Group Rank = 97/173
Pre-race routine:

It began with checking the radar. I woke up to a pouring rain so I was concerned the race may be a long wet slog. The radar showed patches of light rain with the possibility of thunderstorms, so I applied extra Body Glide, put Band-Aids over the nips (for the first time ever) and grabbed my rain jacket. There was no telling what conditions the race would bring.
Event warmup:

My warm-up consisted of standing under a tree trying to remain dry. I got in a little light stretching but no running. Still, I felt ready.
Run
  • 1h 58m 55s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 05s  min/mile
Comments:

First, I'll get my whining out of the way. This course is long... by .12 miles, according to my Garmin. The mile markers check out for the first third of the race, then they get progressively longer to the end. It's kind of demoralizing when you're trying to hit marks along the way to meet a goal time.

OK, enough bitching. I really like this course but the Hoan Bridge just kills me. It's not that hard to climb (though it is looooong), but it comes right at the beginning of the race and it gets my heartrate up for so long that I can never recover it. I don't think I run it too hard, it's just that it takes effort to drag 190 pounds up an incline for so long two ways. No matter how much I focus on trying to keep my HR low so I can ramp up my effort for the second half of the race, it just doesn't happen and I don't think it's possible unless I want to lose significant weight.

Other than that, the course is really nice and it's really a well-run event. I'm so glad I gave this race another shot after that brutal first year.

It rained lightly throughout the race but it never played a significant factor beyond cooling me off a bit. Wearing a rain jacket, I did heat up quite a bit on the Hoan section, so I ditched the jacket at the Art Museum, where I saw others also shedding their jackets. Over all, it turned out to be a great day to run.

What would you do differently?:

I'm not sure there's any way I can handle that opening bridge portion any better and still stay on pace for my goal time. For me, that bridge sectiuon is the whole key to the race. i'm just not sure there's an answer beyond losing weight/mass.
Post race
Warm down:

I don't warm down. I collapse.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

190 pounds of ass. Did I say "ass"? I meant mass.

Event comments:

I would recommend this race to everyone. It's really a top-notch event.

Last updated: 2013-05-17 12:00 AM
Running
01:58:55 | 13.1 miles | 09m 05s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/173
Overall: 0/3590
Performance: Good
Course: The same overly long course as always... over the Hoan Bridge and back, then along the lakefront to the brutal Lafayette Hill climb, then through Lake Park up to UWM and back along the lakeside path out onto the Island and around the Marcus Center to the finish.
Keeping cool Average Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2013-06-21 10:01 AM

User image

Champion
Menomonee Falls, WI
Subject: Summerfest Rock 'n Sole Half Marathon

2013-06-21 12:59 PM
in reply to: #4783374

User image

Expert
Menomonee Falls, WI
Subject: RE: Summerfest Rock 'n Sole Half Marathon
I think you meant to say 190 lbs of pure muscle. Nice job out there Rich!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Summerfest Rock 'n Sole Half Marathon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Summerfest Rock 'n Sole Half Marathon

Started by scoobysdad
Views: 1401 Posts: 3

2012-06-27 11:26 AM sbsmann

Heart and Sole Half Marathon

Started by COSkiGirl
Views: 1321 Posts: 1

2011-08-21 2:57 PM COSkiGirl

Summerfest Half Marathon and 10k

Started by pjgrande
Views: 996 Posts: 1

2011-08-11 10:00 PM pjgrande

Summerfest Half Marathon and 10k

Started by jordiebrigs
Views: 1060 Posts: 1

2011-07-19 11:03 AM jordiebrigs

Dallas White Rock Marathon - Half Marathon

Started by kpar
Views: 2370 Posts: 12

2006-12-12 7:44 PM kpar
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 24, 2010
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
My question is am I playing with fire entering the half marathon this close to my primary goal for this season which is the HIM?

date : June 15, 2009
author : Ali Winslow
I just ran the Boston Marathon under nine minute miles, can I run eight minute miles for my half Ironman training runs? Or should I go slower?
date : November 17, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 7
I just started doing tris this summer and I have two under my belt, both sprints. Is it reasonable to build up for a Oly in early ‘09, with a HIM in Oct of ‘09

date : June 10, 2008
author : kns57
Steady is our walk. Ignoring the pain that is radiating from my feet, I continue to place one foot in front of the other. Again I wonder, “Why am I doing this?”
date : July 10, 2007
author : Ontherun
Having three seasons under my belt I thought I knew what I was doing. That all changed with a few new challenges and a bunch of new friends.

date : October 24, 2005
author : mikericci
This program should be used for an athlete whose goal is to run a marathon in the 1:30-2:30 range and has a good running base in the past 8-12 weeks.
date : October 2, 2005
author : smeeko
comments : 2
I will assume you have not run consistently more than 6 miles and have never completed a half-marathon. I believe running your first half-marathon is a big task which requires dedication and work.

date : January 10, 2005
author : ewkfit
My training was taking off. I had never felt stronger. I was making bigger strides than I ever had. I was stronger and faster than I had imagined myself ever being.