REVOLUTION3 Triathlon
88F / 31C
Overcast
Total Time = 6h 48m 30s
Overall Rank = 390/592
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 47/59
Pre-race routine:

Was up at 3:45, Didn't sleep great because of the sticky tattoo numbers. I was worried they would come off I guess. I had my applesauce and banana with gatorade to sip on until race.
Event warmup:

They had a warm up area that was on the finish side of the course. Swam out to the first buoy on that side and felt great. I thought it was going to be a decent swim today. Had my gel 15 mins out and was ready to go.
Swim
  • 1h 28m 56s
  • 2112 yards
  • 04m 13s / 100 yards
Comments:

I don't want to say that I failed because didn't fail I just had a bad swim. I now know life as a salmon swimming upstream is tough! So the first 100-200 meters you pretty much are running/wading/dolphin jumping until it finally gets deep enough to swim. I was a little worried when I saw the pros get pushed so far from the first turn buoy but they all seemed to round it just fine. So I was feeling ok. My sighting was good and I was feeling pretty good at that point until the first turn buoy. In the little time as you get near the buoy the current sweeps you down stream so I had to turn right into and swim towards the buoy. I as doing ok but every time I sighted the buoy just didn't seem to get any closer. Finally I got close but got caught in the middle of the chaos which became a washing machine. I was ok for a bit until I got pushed under by someone. As I came up I needed to get out of the washing machine and had to call for help. This was the most disappointing part of the day. At that point I felt like a complete loser that I had to call for help...but I was still determined to finish! I was on the paddle board getting my head straight and my breath back with another guy in my wave. The unfortunate part here is I lost any forward momentum I had gained even though the guy was trying to keep it that way. So the guy with me on the paddle board looked at me and said "Let's do this" and gave me a high five and off we went. I passed the buoy. So thank you whoever you were! I knew at this point I was not going to hit my overall numbers and just remembered to have fun on this day. I made it to the start line injury free and I am doing a HIM. How awesome is that. I used that mindset the rest of the swim. It was still tough until the last turn buoy. I just slowed down and made sure my stroke form and body position was good and I started to move nicely. The last turn in was great and I actually slowed my breathing and heart rate down a bit on this portion and felt good coming out of the water. Good thing about coming out later in the swim is lots of people to chomp down on the bike and run.
What would you do differently?:

I just need more OWS or hope REV3 changes the course a little bit haha! I am proud of making it through that swim and learned a lot about my perseverance today.
Transition 1
  • 04m 33s
Comments:

My wife is amazing. She told me later she was trying to work on positives for me when I came out of the water. First she was trying with my age group but the one that happened was the last pro was only out 15 mins before me. That help boost my spirits and know my strong suits would help me pick off people. I put my shoes on in transition this time since I had the issues with the straps the last couple of races. I am really glad I did this. I was up to speed in no time.

Nothing. I felt good about this transition.
Bike
  • 3h 05m 7s
  • 56 miles
  • 18.15 mile/hr
Comments:

It was overall a good bike ride. I stayed in my heart rate ranges and thought I was a bit faster than the numbers show but overall I am happy. The course was a little tougher than I thought it would be. A couple of hills were brutal and I even saw a couple of folks walking them. Bottle hand offs went well and my nutrition was good. First time I had to refill my front aero bottle I went off the road. Luckily I caught myself and just stopped and filled it up. That was really the only mishap all day on the bike. I know I was zapped from being in the water so long but I was still impressed with how I did. The best part of the bike was when I finally saw a couple of guys in my age group and was able to pass them. Talk about a spirit lifter. All the bike work my coach put me through in the off season really paid off. My nutrition was spot on and I felt strong the whole bike ride.

Not much here. I need to practice filling my bottles more even though I got a grasp on it after the first bottle.
Transition 2
  • 03m 2s
Comments:

Not bad here. I should have put more sunscreen on my shoulders and I have a nice tan line around my temp tattoo numbers. I was moving a little slower here it seemed than I usually do but I was happy to be getting on the run and finishing this thing

Nothing.
Run
  • 2h 06m 52s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 38s  min/mile
Comments:

Not my best time by any means but considering the day and how hot it got I am not complaining. GPS for some stupid reason didn't work when I switched to run from bike on my watch so I was having to do pace in my head based on the mile markers. I was feeling great on the lap and was around 8:30-8:40. Mile 2-3 was a long up hill that was brutal on the second time around. I walked all the aid stations. First loop I walked a little faster than the second. The first mile I felt like I had to pee bad so stopped and the first place I could and I felt much better after that. I got cold water/ice on the head/body at each one and Gatorade down the tube. I had a clif block every other mile starting at mile 2 and felt my nutrition was good. I had no cramping our GI issues which I was very happy about considering how hot it started to get. I really felt good until the last couple of miles. I knew I was slowing down but never thought it was that much near the end. However, It was awesome to cross the finish line with the wife after her awesome support all day especially being pregnant.

Umm don't know. It was my first time around on this distance. I need to think if I pushed to hard on the bike at anytime. Did being the water eventually affect the run? I know this isn't my best half marathon time but I will take it after everything before it.
Post race
Warm down:

I enjoyed the cold towel they give you. I walked around and wanted to keep the muscles moving. I couldn't eat the pasta because two weeks ago I tried to have pizza after the race and the sauce almost made me throw up. Luckily I had a clif bar laying around and had that with some water.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The swim taking so long I would say. It took a lot out of me to finish that. Mentally I felt strong but I knew it was going to effect the rest of the race in some way. Surprisingly it wasn't as bad as I thought it could have turned out to be. You know what though...I finished my first HIM! That is all that matters!

Event comments:

I think REV3 has some things to work on. Finding the bags afterwards was crazy. It was more organized by the time I got there. It wasn't just a massive pile like many had to deal with. The swim was tough, I don't know if they will change it but swimming up river sucks! Overall it was still a good atmosphere and unlike some people I realize in an inaugural event there is going to be some bumps and bruises in the process. I would love to see how it changes for next year.

Last updated: 2013-02-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:28:56 | 2112 yards | 04m 13s / 100yards
Age Group: 53/59
Overall: 556/592
Performance: Bad
Suit:
Course: It was rectangular in shape in the James river but the farthest point out was right in the down stream channel.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: High
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Bad
T1
Time: 04:33
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
03:05:07 | 56 miles | 18.15 mile/hr
Age Group: 51/59
Overall: 490/592
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: It was an out and back with some shoot offs that were out and back as well. Not as flat as they made it out to be. A couple of the hills were a big surprise. One stretch the road was horrible filled with potholes but overall it was on smooth roads.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:02
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:06:52 | 13.1 miles | 09m 38s  min/mile
Age Group: 47/59
Overall: 390/592
Performance: Average
Course: Out and back twice that made you pass the finish line 3 times. Kind of a tease if you ask me.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2013-06-24 10:08 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bristow
Subject: Rev3 Williamsburg - Half Rev

2013-06-24 10:36 AM
in reply to: #4785639

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Subject: RE: Rev3 Williamsburg - Half Rev

That was one of the hardest swims I ever did in that venue.  Set up uses the same spot for their Williamsburg races but will change the swim in/ out based on the current.

Terrific bike & run for the day!  
I felt bad for all the HIM folks on the run, that was  one of the toughest run courses I have ever encountered in a tri and it was hard to do it just once for the Oly.  That crazy switchback hill kicked butt on a lot of folks.

Congratulations on managing your efforts well on a hard day! 

2013-06-24 11:20 AM
in reply to: QueenZipp

User image

Expert
Larkin I didn't realize it was you at the time but I swam by the paddle board while you were on it. With the white on the back of your suit it had to have been you. Great job and congrats on your first.
2013-06-24 11:38 AM

User image

Master
Woodbridge , Virginia
nice work.. especially in the swim..

congrats
2013-06-24 12:03 PM
in reply to: momo

User image

Champion
Out running or enjoying a fine glass of red...
Congrats! It was a tough race and you did great! (And I'm glad you didn't have to deal with the pile of bags...that was a disaster for the oly folks!)
2013-06-24 12:08 PM

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
Congratulations!!  Way to tough it out on the swim and make the best of the day.  You definitely did NOT fail!

2013-06-25 9:58 AM
in reply to: Artemis

User image

Extreme Veteran
Congrats Larkin!! I think you did awesome at a new distance and an inaugural event. Sounds like a tough swim, but you were tougher! So glad you got through it and finished!! Have you picked out your next one yet?
2013-06-25 10:07 AM

User image

Regular
Washington, DC
Great job!! Way to persevere through the swim and turn out a great bike and run time!
2013-06-25 10:10 AM
in reply to: meggfishy

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bristow
Thanks everyone! It was an awesome experience and I am looking forward to relaxing now and thinking about my next one.

Michele, I am thinking about NOLA for my next one.
2013-06-26 5:08 AM

User image

Veteran
On my Bike or SUP, west of OBX
Nice Job!! Way to stay after it!! I agree, the swim was brutal...
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Rev3 Williamsburg - Half Rev Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Rev3 Williamsburg - Half Rev

Started by BigGuyTRI_NC
Views: 1760 Posts: 4

2013-06-24 10:38 AM kidtri33

Rev3 Williamsburg - Half Rev

Started by everlong
Views: 1807 Posts: 5

2013-06-24 10:30 AM kidtri33

Rev3 Williamsburg - Olympic Rev

Started by QueenZipp
Views: 4497 Posts: 24

2013-06-28 10:17 PM southwestmba

Rev3 Quassy - Half Rev

Started by rafikichapman
Views: 1649 Posts: 1

2011-06-06 9:33 AM rafikichapman

Rev3 Quassy - Half Rev

Started by dkazup
Views: 2020 Posts: 1

2011-06-06 5:19 AM dkazup
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race

date : May 24, 2010
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
My question is am I playing with fire entering the half marathon this close to my primary goal for this season which is the HIM?
date : September 22, 2009
author : Ali Winslow
Is it realistic to race a sprint and Olympic distance race within 2-3 weeks of one another to gauge my progress before tackling the half Ironman?

date : November 17, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 7
I just started doing tris this summer and I have two under my belt, both sprints. Is it reasonable to build up for a Oly in early ‘09, with a HIM in Oct of ‘09
date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.

date : January 29, 2006
author : sl2302
I just had a couple of problems, I could count the number of triathlons I had contested at zero. Secondly, I could count on one hand the number of times I had been swimming in the last 17 years.
date : September 3, 2005
author : trad_it
Now, for the last 20 years I’ve always though that jogging seemed about as interesting as watching paint dry, and you know what? That’s how it turned out to be.

date : September 3, 2005
author : chrisandniki
This is not an easy task, especially for the “9-to-5er” with family. But you can do it – all without sacrificing your marriage, job or family.