General Discussion Triathlon Talk » measured max heart rate vs calculated one Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-06-24 2:28 PM

Subject: measured max heart rate vs calculated one
According to Tanaka, Monahan and Seals formula my maximum heart rate should be 189.1(208-0.7*27)bpm. However, during intense interval training I have reached 200bpm(measured with my TIMEX HRM) for few seconds. Am I correct that measured maximum heart rate is more accurate?

2013-06-24 2:35 PM
in reply to: m4rtin

User image

Regular
Portland, Oregon
Subject: RE: measured max heart rate vs calculated one
Calculated MHR is only for the average person, smack dab in the middle of the bell curve.

Your recorded value is either your true MHR or under it. Google up on Max heart rate tests and find out for sure.
2013-06-24 2:41 PM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

If you're trying to use a calculated MHR for determining training zones you could easily error on either side (too easy, too hard) of your training.  Best to do (if able) the field LT tests as described in this BT article (the BT Thread/FAQ here)

2013-06-24 2:59 PM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
technically your max heartrate is quite a bit higher than that...

The one on your timex is probably a bit closer to what to use for running rates though.
2013-06-24 3:12 PM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Ignore maxHR - both measured and calculated - for setting training zones. Read the link provided by Donto, complete a LTHR test and set your zones from there.

Shane
2013-06-24 4:17 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Kobenhavns Kommune
Originally posted by m4rtin
Am I correct that measured maximum heart rate is more accurate?

Neither!

First: Your HRM isn't always reliable, I've had readings from anywhere between 30 to 250 during a workout, and not just a few spikes but over some time.

Second: Calculated max isn't really max, at least not as in, if your heart beat faster you're gonna die. There are lot's of formulas out there, all of which makes some assumptions and try to estimate some "max" for the average Joe given some physical data, sex, age, weight, height, etc. and you'll likely find they've made some rounding here and there to make it easy to work with, and a "good enough" first guess.

The lactate threshold test (LT) mentioned is a physical test and much more useful. The point is by experiment to determine your 100% (or max) effort level, that is the limit where your metabolism remains aerobic.

The point of this max or 100% is to relate your HR to your metabolism, and set some zones where your metabolism is dominated by fat or carb consumption. Targeting your training in these zones you can become more efficient/faster at converting fat or carbs to energy thus improving your performance.

BR

2013-06-24 6:48 PM
in reply to: 0

Originally posted by dfroelichYour recorded value is either your true MHR or under it. Google up on Max heart rate tests and find out for sure.

I recorded this 200bpm after running 3.22km with a moderate tempo, then running 190m with fast pace and finally running/climbing a 90m stretch on a sandy surface as hard as I could: http://i.imgur.com/wwRFM6B.pngI mean I could not hold this pace for another second and after reaching the top of the climb I basically collapsed. I guess this 200bpm should be fairly accurate maxHR?

Thanks to everybody for suggesting the lactate threshold test! I wasn't aware of this.

Edited by m4rtin 2013-06-24 6:52 PM
2013-06-24 7:32 PM

User image

Originally posted by m4rtin
Originally posted by dfroelichYour recorded value is either your true MHR or under it. Google up on Max heart rate tests and find out for sure.
I recorded this 200bpm after running 3.22km with a moderate tempo, then running 190m with fast pace and finally running/climbing a 90m stretch on a sandy surface as hard as I could: http://i.imgur.com/wwRFM6B.pngI mean I could not hold this pace for another second and after reaching the top of the climb I basically collapsed. I guess this 200bpm should be fairly accurate maxHR? Thanks to everybody for suggesting the lactate threshold test! I wasn't aware of this.

But you didn't die...so there's likely room for your HR to get even higher...

Joking asside, just base your training on your lactate threshold.  It's much more relevant to endurance training and easier to repeat as a test without killing yourself...both literally and figuratively.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » measured max heart rate vs calculated one Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Lactate threshold vs. Max heart rate

Started by Kestrel4me
Views: 8148 Posts: 17

2011-01-11 8:26 AM Tri-ingToTurn40

Long ride pacing vs heart rate vs MPH

Started by chevy57
Views: 1579 Posts: 8

2009-03-16 10:01 AM JohnnyKay

Calculating Resting Heart Rate

Started by kproudfoot
Views: 1835 Posts: 8

2007-03-07 8:29 PM KiminON

max heart rate

Started by dlink
Views: 588 Posts: 5

2005-08-03 8:12 PM dlink

Getting your Biking Max Heart Rate

Started by runnerx
Views: 1155 Posts: 9

2004-12-17 9:18 AM runnerx
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 14, 2010
author : Coach AJ
comments : 2
In this second part, AJ will show you how your training pace and heart rate training zones are setup from the results of your lactate threshold test.

date : January 27, 2009
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
Discussions on the off season, maximum amount of days one should be running, heart-rate zone testing and outdoor off season strength workouts.
date : October 8, 2008
author : FitWerx
How do you determine VO2 max for cycling? I have my HR zones from a time trial, but don't know how to get VO2 max out of that.

date : October 24, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
comments : 1
Discussions on keeping heart-rate down on hills, the fat burning zone, lactate threshold (LT) testing, max trainer hours, high HR on the run/walk, the 10% rule and different running workouts.
date : June 23, 2006
author : Team BT
One Arm Dumbbell Row strength exercise instruction with picture and video.

date : November 29, 2004
author : chrisandniki
So for the triathlete, where do you begin? Which model is best? Here are some features to consider before looking at specific models.
date : August 30, 2004
author : sherrick
comments : 2
Becoming a Better Animal: How to Effectively Use Your Heart Rate Monitor.

date : August 30, 2004
author : sherrick
Becoming a Better Animal: How to Effectively Use Your Heart Rate Monitor.