Canadian Triathlon Forum Ontario » Huronia Sprint Rss Feed  
Moderators: Silver_wlf, alicefoeller Reply
2013-06-27 5:51 AM

Master
Kitchener
Subject: Huronia Sprint
Anyone doing this race or maybe did it last year. Know it's a challenging, hilly bike. Just wondering if anyone knows the grades of any of the hills?

2013-06-27 9:48 AM
in reply to: latestarter

Subject: RE: Huronia Sprint
This video is incredible at showing the Olympic course, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80ezluPktcY
From putting it into MapMyRide it seems to start hilly but then is reasonable...
My in-laws have a cottage a few minutes away so I plan on riding it a few times this weekend - I'll post my garmin elevation chart after to give you an exact sense of the climbs and also a bit of a review as I'm sure that will help. It looks like a beautiful ride and the roads up in that area are all amazing.
2013-06-27 3:41 PM
in reply to: ngrunberg

Master
Kitchener
Originally posted by ngrunberg

This video is incredible at showing the Olympic course, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80ezluPktcY
From putting it into MapMyRide it seems to start hilly but then is reasonable...
My in-laws have a cottage a few minutes away so I plan on riding it a few times this weekend - I'll post my garmin elevation chart after to give you an exact sense of the climbs and also a bit of a review as I'm sure that will help. It looks like a beautiful ride and the roads up in that area are all amazing.

THANK YOU very much. I will really appreciate that. I like hilly courses but always feel better if I know what to expect.
2013-06-27 6:38 PM
in reply to: latestarter

User image

Hello

I did it last year and the most difficult part is the first hill going north (Lafontaine road I think) - you will see a sign that says - 'township of Tiny'

There are a few rollers going out but it is faster coming back

You may have to deal with some traffic around the road access to Awenda Provincial Park but it is well patrolled - last year I got stuck behind a pick-up truck but once he realized I was keeping up with him he slowed down and let me go ...

Watch out at the turn around as you are somewhat on a slight downhill

Have fun - it is a great race

Jean
2013-06-28 9:06 PM
in reply to: JTTRIHRD

Did the course today. Beautiful ride! Not at all easy but also not going to ruin anyone's day.

Was a bit unsure of the start, thankfully the MSC team didn't choose Owen Street (1 block South of the start) to get to Robert Street, I accidentally went up that road first and thought there is no way that a triathlon would start with such a crazy climb... so after restarting at the right spot after consulting my iphone I cruised the first little hill, and worked my way to Lafontaine and as the earlier post stated at the Tiny, ON sign you start the one really tough climb (for me as a beginner). It's about an 80 meter climb over about a 1 KM+, starts out really tough (40m up over 400 meters) and then just grinds you down. Took me a long time to get my legs moving again after the climb. The good news is after that it is reasonable the rest of the way, one other noticeable downhill around the 7.5KM mark which of course is tough on the way back. On the return leg other than that climb the rest is pretty smooth. I had a slow first 5KM because of the killer hill which amazingly starts with a Tiny, ON sign (in now way was that climb tiny) and ends with a sign for Cemetery Lane (i considered turning down that way and having a rest given how much it kicked my butt). A pretty good 2nd 5KM and a below my average 3rd 5KM because of the small climb and a lights out last 5KM because of the big drop. Will be interesting to see everyone on Sunday gunning it down that hill, especially for those of us that are slower out of the water and starting a few waves back, might catch a glimpse of the leaders on their return while guys like me are hurting to get up the hill!
I'm going to ride it again tomorrow AM to see how i fair in more race conditions, today I had just eaten a big cottage lunch (hot dogs and chips). Either way the course is spectacular, I got into Triathlons a year ago when my inlaws got this cottage and I decided instead of running I would jump on a bike we had to check out the surroundings, the roads up here are amazing, can't beat the views, space, rolling hills. The road condition is outstanding for almost the entire 20KM, if I had any complaint and I don't it would be the first 500 meters on Robert St. - by no means is it bad, just a bit choppy compared to the rest of the roads once you get out of Penatang. If the weather cooperates it should be a great race - of note even if it is sunny there is a lot of shade on this ride which is an added bonus.
2013-06-29 9:10 AM

Master
Kitchener
Originally posted by ngrunberg

Did the course today. Beautiful ride! Not at all easy but also not going to ruin anyone's day.

Was a bit unsure of the start, thankfully the MSC team didn't choose Owen Street (1 block South of the start) to get to Robert Street, I accidentally went up that road first and thought there is no way that a triathlon would start with such a crazy climb... so after restarting at the right spot after consulting my iphone I cruised the first little hill, and worked my way to Lafontaine and as the earlier post stated at the Tiny, ON sign you start the one really tough climb (for me as a beginner). It's about an 80 meter climb over about a 1 KM+, starts out really tough (40m up over 400 meters) and then just grinds you down. Took me a long time to get my legs moving again after the climb. The good news is after that it is reasonable the rest of the way, one other noticeable downhill around the 7.5KM mark which of course is tough on the way back. On the return leg other than that climb the rest is pretty smooth. I had a slow first 5KM because of the killer hill which amazingly starts with a Tiny, ON sign (in now way was that climb tiny) and ends with a sign for Cemetery Lane (i considered turning down that way and having a rest given how much it kicked my butt). A pretty good 2nd 5KM and a below my average 3rd 5KM because of the small climb and a lights out last 5KM because of the big drop. Will be interesting to see everyone on Sunday gunning it down that hill, especially for those of us that are slower out of the water and starting a few waves back, might catch a glimpse of the leaders on their return while guys like me are hurting to get up the hill!
I'm going to ride it again tomorrow AM to see how i fair in more race conditions, today I had just eaten a big cottage lunch (hot dogs and chips). Either way the course is spectacular, I got into Triathlons a year ago when my inlaws got this cottage and I decided instead of running I would jump on a bike we had to check out the surroundings, the roads up here are amazing, can't beat the views, space, rolling hills. The road condition is outstanding for almost the entire 20KM, if I had any complaint and I don't it would be the first 500 meters on Robert St. - by no means is it bad, just a bit choppy compared to the rest of the roads once you get out of Penatang. If the weather cooperates it should be a great race - of note even if it is sunny there is a lot of shade on this ride which is an added bonus.

Thanks for the detailed description. Really appreciate it. I'm not sure what grade 40m over 400 is but am going to plot the route on Map my ride. There was a tough steep hill at Edmonton Nationals last year, not too far out of transition and I faired pretty well, so hopefully I'm still as capable. Hopefully will see you sometime at the race.

2013-07-01 8:33 AM

Veteran
London, Ontario
Here is another athlete update on the swim. "My friend and I swam in the Penetang bay yesterday and the water temp is warm. You really don't need a wetsuit. We also rode the bike course and really enjoyed the scenery."
New Thread
Canadian Triathlon Forum Ontario » Huronia Sprint Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Huronia Tri

Started by jsmoon
Views: 1285 Posts: 7

2011-08-10 3:23 PM John Salt

Belwood Lake 'Try-A-Tri' Mini-Sprint

Started by RunGirlRun
Views: 1219 Posts: 4

2009-07-16 2:26 PM Bopper

Belwood Sprint Triathlon & Duathlon : Official Thread Pages: 1 2

Started by Bopper
Views: 5176 Posts: 44

2009-07-17 10:13 AM Silver_wlf

GL I Sprint Pages: 1 2 3

Started by jonow6
Views: 2893 Posts: 66

2007-06-27 9:31 AM Bopper

Prizes for 2007 Brampton Sprint Championship relay teams

Started by geoffs
Views: 1081 Posts: 4

2007-07-01 12:02 PM richtherunner
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.

date : April 1, 2008
author : trvw
comments : 0
The challenge? The accomplishment? I want to do this because it is an opportunity to live life. The event is an indoor sprint triathlon. I get to experience the challenge on a safer scale.
date : February 12, 2008
author : mikericci
This plan is designed to make you go faster. 3 workouts per week in each sport, 2 days of strength training and core work. The maximum volume is around 10 hours toward the end of the 12 weeks.

date : October 4, 2007
author : AdamA
comments : 4
I was passing others who were saying, "Good job, 587" (that was my race number). People were cheering me on. These were the nicest people I have ever been around!
date : September 5, 2006
author : mikericci
If you haven’t done any bricks yet, this isn’t the time to start piling them on, but here are some examples you could do in the lead up to your race.

date : September 3, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
Since your “A” race is your marathon, which you stated in your question, this should be your main focus. I encourage you to taper a bit for the sprint distance triathlon.
date : July 30, 2006
author : acbadger
Since I didn't have much time and since it's a super sprint, am I OK just go to at the training relatively hard through Thursday or even Friday?

date : August 30, 2004
author : Ron
Couch-to-sprint triathlon training programs to get you over the finish-line of your first triathlon.