General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Riding in St. Augustine, FL Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-06-27 10:50 AM

Roswell
Subject: Riding in St. Augustine, FL
I am going to be in St. Augustine, FL this weekend and I have a ~90 mile ride on the schedule. I am thinking about just heading south on the 1A until I hit the halfway point and then turning around. I have never ridden in this area, so I'm not sure what the roads/traffic are like. Anyone have any experience with this area?

2013-06-27 2:58 PM
in reply to: chrishatcher1138

User image

New user
Subject: RE: Riding in St. Augustine, FL
I don't ride a lot there, but will give you my little input. I did a sprint tri just a little south of there at Marineland a couple weeks ago. The bike course only utilized A1A, albeit only 6.25 miles of it. I noticed a lot of people riding along that weren't participating, including a smaller sized group ride that was heading south just before the race started. I think you would be fine through Flagler Beach and a little beyone but once you reached Ormond/Daytona it gets really commercialized with a lot of traffic and traffic devices. But that is probably about where you would be turning around anyway. It's probably around 40-45 miles from St. Augustine Beach to Ormond Beach. I would think you would be better off going that way than heading north towards Jax, but hopefully some natives will chime in.
2013-06-27 5:08 PM
in reply to: BSMAK24

New user
Key West
I lived in St. Augustine and I would agree with the previous poster. The shoulder is actually pretty good too, especially coming back, if you need to use it. Would avoid going North as it is more congested and no real shoulders. Also, not as scenic.
2013-06-28 7:58 AM
in reply to: BSMAK24

Roswell
Thanks, everyone. That is a big help.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Riding in St. Augustine, FL Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Need help in St. Augustine!

Started by iruptacopula
Views: 720 Posts: 3

2013-05-16 6:29 AM iruptacopula

OWS in St. Augustine?

Started by SpursNole
Views: 1407 Posts: 6

2010-09-08 8:41 AM ironlib

Training in St Augustine

Started by DirkLux
Views: 874 Posts: 1

2009-11-28 5:03 PM DirkLux

Places to rent a bike in St. Augustine

Started by benjamin7
Views: 1116 Posts: 1

2009-06-14 1:57 PM benjamin7

Places to swim in St. Augustine?

Started by jessm
Views: 1244 Posts: 2

2009-06-12 3:29 PM Donto
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 27, 2011
author : Mark Sunderland
comments : 0
The no-excuses guide to riding outdoors in snow, wind, ice and darkness. Bring it on!

date : December 15, 2008
author : FitWerx
I own both a road bike and a tri bike. I am wondering which bike I should be riding during off season training, or does it matter?
date : July 8, 2008
author : Writebrained
comments : 10
Riding Zen means nothing more than being keenly aware of your surroundings and in control of your emotional state at all times. It also means riding safe and riding smart.

date : March 6, 2008
author : scubachic9999
comments : 4
Already a cyclist and not a bad swimmer, I figured all I had to do was build up to running a few miles and I’d be ready to go. The challenge invigorated me, and I ran out to buy new running shoes.
date : January 15, 2008
author : MLT1
comments : 4
The triathletes really inspired me. I watched them in awe as childlike thoughts went through my head like, "I want to do that!" But then reality set in. “Who are you kidding?

date : June 11, 2007
author : Cinci41
comments : 1
My thinking was that with three events, I could vary my training enough so it wouldn't grow stale prior to seeing positive results and finding the additional motivation I needed to continue training.
date : January 1, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
Discussions on St. A's training, diet, strength training during the winter, tri/road bike training, swollen feet, swimming strategy and spinning for IM's.

date : January 1, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
I’ve signed up to do the St. Anthony’s Olympic Triathlon in April. I will be 49 in May and need some advice on a good training program to fit into my full time work schedule.