General Discussion Race Reports! » HITS Triathlon Series: North Country - Half Iron Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

HITS Triathlon Series: North Country - Half Iron Course - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Hague, New York
United States
HITS Triathlon Series
Total Time = 5h 43m 38s
Overall Rank = 45/161
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 8/20
Pre-race routine:

Got in early evening Friday and walked around Lake George village a bit. Very nice, had a burger and couple of beers before turning in. I like this area and will come back with the family when the kids are a little older. Had a wacky morning. Woke up thinking I overslept. The light coming in the window told me it was 7 or so. Took a minute to realize that was just a hotel light and it was 3:49. Then I had a misshap with my bento box that had me wasting some time. Once I got to the race site everything was fine. There were a lot more people than the first HITS I did last year, but everything moved quickly with no lines, etc. Met up with Art, the swimming machine and his sister. They had family doing a lot of the HITS distances, so I guess that's a plus for the multidistance offering.

A nice perk to HITS this year is that one of their sponsors in Green Mountain coffee, so they had it before and after the race.
Event warmup:

None. I got wet, but 2,100 yds is plenty of swimming for me to warm up.
Swim
  • 42m 57s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 02s / 100 yards
Comments:

We started in the water. I took it easy the whole way and navigated okay, maybe a little wide on the way in. I was pretty far back, but I like to swim as far as I can towards shore. since a lot of the folks around me got up and walked the last 200yds or so, the water was very murky from the kicked up silt. To each their own, but I find walking in water very tiring when there is a bike/run to deal with.

Even though I'm no swimmer, I was surprise how many people and their bikes were done and out on the road when I finished. Lately I've been middle of the pack in short local race swim legs. I guess I push it harder on the short distances.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing really. I don't push any swim over 1,000 yds. Maybe try a 200 hard/200 easy approach like I do in the pool.
Transition 1
  • 02m 23s
Comments:

Same old same old. I was putting on socks, so took some time to wipe feet, etc.
Bike
  • 3h 14m 41s
  • 56 miles
  • 17.30 mile/hr
Comments:

My goad going in was to maintain at least 160 watts for each 5 mile lap. This turned out to be fairly easy, especially on that first 5 mile climb :-)

I held steady and felt pretty good. Spent the first hour doing what I call "going fishing". That is catching all those fast fishy swimmers who aren't so much for the bike. I spent 35 miles trading places with one guy which really helped me hold effort, and hopefully helped him as well.

All in all, I think maybe one guy passed me on the bike, other than a few that I passed first.

My nutrition was fine. Took some homemade gu every 10 miles, took 2 salt tabs and one nicotine lozenge on the ride. But I started tiring out after 35-40 miles, and the last 2-3 mile climb hurt. I just haven't been putting in the long rides this season. Near the end I realized that I wasn't saving enough for the run. But in hindsight, that run was going to hurt no matter what, so happy with the effort.

Had to pee for most of the bike but managed to hold on till T2.

Go over the timing mat at the turnaround... They pointed out that I circled the cone, but missed the small, unadvertised timing mat, so I had to circle back and cross it. Maybe cost 15-20 seconds.
Transition 2
  • 01m 20s
Comments:

T2 would have taken longer if the port-o-johns were inside of transition. My pee stop is in the run time

Nothin.
Run
  • 1h 42m 17s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

Ehh. I started out keeping the HR in Z3 and try not to worry about pace. I walked the steep ups, and there were quite a few, and let it go on the downs. (I paid for that with some lingering knee pain). Overall I was tired and hurting but not injured so just kept on keeping on.

I got passed by one female, but didn't mind. She was in a badass pink kit with a Punisher logo, and I couldn't keep up with her at that point anyway. At least she wasn't a 35-39 fella.

In hindsight, I should have pushed the run a little harder. At the time, I didn't realize I was only 1 minute behind Art, who was 13 min ahead coming out of the swim. He's not in my age group, but I never thought I'd me nipping at his hills, so If I ever get to have a foot race with him, it will be good for my ego...
Post race
Warm down:

Got some coffee and a bagel and hit the road. Had a 3+ hour drive in my hot as hell truck to make the niece's graduation party.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing specific. It was a challenging, but totally doable course, and I'll keep s/b/r-ing till I get faster

Event comments:

I gave this a 4 and I'm not sure if that's generous or overly critical. I'm really starting to get irked by races that can't seem to measure land distance in the current technology age. The bike was 2 miles long and the run was about 0.8 miles short. That's too much variation, but at least it was going in offsetting directions.

That said, I liked everything else about this race and the organization was spot on. The price couldn't be beat either. There were enough people on the course to keep it exciting without feeling like you are in a sea of athletes. I'll almost definitely do this race again.

Last updated: 2013-01-25 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:42:57 | 2112 yards | 02m 02s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/20
Overall: 117/161
Performance: Average
Suit: Neosport full
Course: a triangle in Lake George. Very nice place to swim. its shallow for a while before it deepens up. I'm not used to seeing the bottom for so much of swim. They were in the ballpark in measuring the swim based on my swim time (see below on the bike/run mismeasurement). But based on the fastest swimmers times, it might have been just a little long.
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:23
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
03:14:41 | 56 miles | 17.30 mile/hr
Overall: 48/161
Performance: Good
Garmin facts: 57.95 miles @ 17.9mph/ 177watts average 5 mile laps: 9.3 mph @209watts/ 157bpm<p> 28.3 mph @132watts/ 135bpm<p> 21.3 mph @175watts/ 139bpm<p> 20.4 mph @176 watts/ 139bpm<p> 19.6 mph @179 watts/ 139bpm<p> 17.4 mph @174 watts/ 140bpm<p> 19.2 mph @182 watts/ 145bpm<p> 20.7 mph @175 watts/ 144bpm<p> 20.5 mph @180 watts/ 148bpm<p> 17.9 mph @183 watts/ 148bpm<p> 13.1 mph @ 174 watts/ 155bpm<p> 31.4 mph @56 watts/ 131 bpm (3 mile Lap)
Wind: Little
Course: An out and back heading west from Lake George. The first 5 mile miles is all climbing (9 mph At 209 watts for me) followed by 2+ miles down, then rollers all the way with a good number of curves. Its a nice course that passes a lot of lakes, some farm country, and overall fine biking. The roads are open but auto traffic wasn't much. the last 5 miles is all down. You really don't have to pedal, but you can't make up all the time you lost coming out unless you have the skills and reckless abandon that I don't.
Road:  Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:20
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:42:17 | 13.1 miles | 07m 50s  min/mile
Overall: 30/161
Performance: Good
Garmin facts: 12.37 miles @ 8:11 pace / 161bpm
Course: Out and back south along the lake, mostly the road, some on dirt, all on hills, either going up or going down (ouch).
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-06-30 9:36 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cold Spring, NY
Subject: HITS Triathlon Series: North Country - Half Iron Course

2013-07-01 4:59 AM
in reply to: #4792187

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Subject: RE: HITS Triathlon Series: North Country - Half Iron Course

Great race Bill and great report!  As a fellow slow swimmer I will steal your line about going fishing to keep me going on my next bike! 

I was thinking this race was closer to you, it really wasn't that far from Tinman!!

2013-07-01 5:25 AM
in reply to: kenj

Boy, this is a first for me "one nicotine lozenge on the ride". Good luck with your next race.
2013-07-01 9:47 AM
in reply to: #4792187

User image

Master
New Jersey
Nice race. I heard those hills at the start of the bike course were brutal. you didn't seem to mind.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » HITS Triathlon Series: North Country - Half Iron Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

HITS Triathlon Series: Napa Valley - Half Iron Course

Started by helihaven
Views: 927 Posts: 1

2012-04-17 10:22 PM helihaven

HITS Triathlon Series: Napa Valley - Half Iron Course

Started by Baowolf
Views: 2995 Posts: 3

2012-08-04 12:52 AM anthalynn

HITS Triathlon Series: Ocala - Half Iron Course

Started by TriSte
Views: 1288 Posts: 1

2012-04-03 4:25 PM TriSte

HITS Triathlon Series: Ocala - Half Iron Course

Started by pmruns
Views: 1710 Posts: 3

2012-06-09 6:24 PM pmruns

HITS Triathlon Series: Palm Springs - Half Iron Course

Started by Scottt
Views: 2301 Posts: 3

2011-12-08 7:05 PM Scottt
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 28, 2012
author : writingrunner
comments : 0
How my first half iron distance triathlon brought back feelings of high school competition.

date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.
date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : January 29, 2006
author : sl2302
I just had a couple of problems, I could count the number of triathlons I had contested at zero. Secondly, I could count on one hand the number of times I had been swimming in the last 17 years.
date : September 3, 2005
author : chrisandniki
This is not an easy task, especially for the “9-to-5er” with family. But you can do it – all without sacrificing your marriage, job or family.

date : February 28, 2005
author : sherrick
A 26 week, 6 race series plan for faster performance. A SILVER/GOLD member plan.
date : September 4, 2004
author : adumey
To help you extract the most from my account, I will highlight the specific take-aways that will not only improve your race time, but reduce unecessary bloodshed.

date : August 30, 2004
author : sherrick
comments : 40
This half Ironman plan covers many weeks of challenging, but attainable training for someone who has some endurance experience, and ideally some Olympic distance races within the past season.