General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Overweight, Unhealthy and New to Tri! Help! Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-07-01 10:40 AM

Subject: Overweight, Unhealthy and New to Tri! Help!
Hello all! My story: I had an extremely stressful year that included losing someone close to me and I gained 60lbs during that time. I am 27, female and only 5'4", so that's a ton of extra weight. I was competitive in sports my entire life, played lacrosse in college and used to be in peak physical condition. Clearly, now I am not.

I also was recently diagnosed with lupus, something they think I've struggled with for several years. I tried crossfit in the winter and I kept having injuries (which led to the discovery of lupus) and despite my love for it, at this point I don't feel that I am able to do enough of the movements without getting injured again.

All negative factors aside, I have been craving competition in my life. I used to run competitively back in high school and I recently started to take my bike out and got addicted to riding. I've always been a strong swimmer but never swam for anything besides my own fitness. I knew the second day of riding my bike 10 miles + that competing in a tri was what I needed to feel good about myself and my body again.

I started the Couch-to-Sprint training program a few days ago and plan to do a tri sprint at the end of September. I would absolutely love to speak to anyone here who also did that program!

2013-07-01 12:08 PM
in reply to: lks04c

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL
Subject: RE: Overweight, Unhealthy and New to Tri! Help!

Welcome to BT!

Best advice I can offer is to be consistent following the training plan, and to resist the temptation to overdo things until your body gets used to training again on a regular basis.

The other thing I can speak to from experience is that weight loss will come more from managing your diet than from exercise.  You can consume calories a lot faster than you can work them off.  Like many others, when I first started doing triathlons I found myself eating to fuel my workouts and actually gained weight at first.

Good luck with your training.

Mark

2013-07-01 12:36 PM
in reply to: lks04c

User image

Veteran
Oak Park
Subject: RE: Overweight, Unhealthy and New to Tri! Help!

Welcome to triathlons! There is so much to learn, and this is a wonderful community to learn from. Congratulations on making the commitment. From my experience, you get out of triathlon what you put into it. Follow the plan as much as you can, ask a lot of questions, use the forums, and try to view other people's logs whenever you can. It's really nice to see that other, far more experienced people have the same trials & tribulations us newbies do. 

Keep us posted on your progress! 

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Overweight, Unhealthy and New to Tri! Help! Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

41 and overweight...yup, gonna Tri in Sept !

Started by jgallagher9
Views: 683 Posts: 5

2008-12-15 3:40 PM bhoover10001

1st Tri 4 an overweight guy

Started by bbarnett
Views: 1064 Posts: 9

2008-07-02 4:42 PM tricupcake

hello from an overweight beer swilling english guy!!

Started by Mike Abel
Views: 811 Posts: 6

2004-12-20 1:18 PM gr8brindle

Overweight But Tri'ing

Started by redraider2002
Views: 843 Posts: 12

2004-07-09 5:13 PM CindyK

New To Tri's and need some help!

Started by tjbahl
Views: 987 Posts: 6

2004-06-01 11:30 PM Y-NOT-TRI
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
Here are five steps to ensure that you keep your promise to yourself to get you to that first triathlon.

date : March 6, 2008
author : scubachic9999
comments : 4
Already a cyclist and not a bad swimmer, I figured all I had to do was build up to running a few miles and I’d be ready to go. The challenge invigorated me, and I ran out to buy new running shoes.
date : December 11, 2007
author : AMSSM
I am trying to go from being 40 lbs. overweight, however, I keep having pain in my knees, ankle, or hip that stops me from exercising for several days - killing my momentum.

date : June 5, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 8
When I swim I struggle to get a full breath and consequently run down faster. I spend part of my training on the side of the pool gasping for air.
date : January 30, 2006
I am totally out of shape. I haven't worked out in over 2 years. I want to get back into it. I am facing several challenges including time constraints and being over weight.

date : January 1, 2006
comments : 1
I’ve signed up to do the St. Anthony’s Olympic Triathlon in April. I will be 49 in May and need some advice on a good training program to fit into my full time work schedule.
date : November 14, 2004
author : Akuma
I am 28 now, hardly an old crony, but life in busy Sydney Australia has meant my belly is softer than the excuses I use to convince myself I am in good shape.

date : September 10, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 2
Your help is needed to keep BT the best of the best.