BSLT Triathlon/World Triathlon Corporation
65F / 18C
Overcast
Total Time = 7h 03m 31s
Overall Rank = 540/
Age Group = 60-65
Age Group Rank = 7/10
Pre-race routine:

Up at 3:00 stretching, eat, shower. Leave for venue at 4:20 to leave time for waiting for parking - worked perfectly. Plenty of time to set up transition, walk through transition as in the race.
Event warmup:

Went for a short run - perfect then potty break.
Swam out to bay entrance 10 min before race start. Water was nice, and air not too cool. I liked the tiny warm up. Swimming felt strong
Swim
  • 33m 52s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 36s / 100 yards
Comments:

just took it easy. Focused on enjoying the sunrise, the lake, the scenery and gliding. Also tried to go wide but straight.
Garmin says: 1.22 miles. Remembered to start the silly thing, but forgot to hit the button coming out of the water. - Overall a pretty good swim, and a beautiful sunrise over the lake. I really like being out there at sunrise, just don't like to do it by myself.

Caught some feet once, but the lake is just too murky to follow anyone for any distance.
What would you do differently?:

Perhaps train for the race? Swim lots more. Perhaps some speed work. Just be in better shape

For the shape I am in, I executed well.
Transition 1
  • 03m 54s
Comments:

Took it easy so my HR would not be sky high approaching the steep climb out of T1.

I went about six steps past the mount line. The guy next to me had problems, but I was just past him so no problem for me. The chute is very narrow. Perhaps even going farther would be a good idea.

This could have been my best T1 at this race. Taking a bit of time works way better than leaving T1 out of breath. - Remember to hit Garmin button coming out of water and out of Transition on bike.
Bike
  • 3h 19m 57s
  • 56 miles
  • 16.86 mile/hr
Comments:

Knowing how undertrained I am, and working a plan, I took it pretty easy. That's hard to do when everyone is passing you, but I tried to stick to riding pretty easy. The compact crank was awesome on this course with the steep climbs. Decided to take it easy in transition so that my HR wasn't high on climb out of T1 - That worked! Plus I rode the first two hills the day before and figured out gearing and where I would stand. And I'm now training at 5,000 ft with hills. I wasn't speedy, but with the training I've got and the new gears the hills were pretty manageable. Overall, with only one month of training to average almost 17 mph with the wind and hills, I'm pretty pleased. Speedometer chose today to take the day off. Stopped once to pee. Stopped once to give a guy a tube. Absolutely loved the tail wind coming in on the last leg - Garmin said I was running about 20 - 21. Max speed 39.6 Garmin says ave moving speed 17, but does not have the first two hills.
Forgot to hit the button coming out of T1 for about two miles, including the first two climbs out of T1.
Beautiful morning. The rains stopped just about 5:30, so mostly the roads were clear, but puddles in places. Nice and cool, probably only about 75 degrees at the end of the bike. Two places we had to ride through water deeper than a few inches. No dust, fields wet, but the breeze was pretty noticeable. I guess it was 15 mph or so.

Train more. Think I need to figure out how to ride with more power
Transition 2
  • 03m 46s
Comments:

Pretty efficient, Walked out to prep for an easy run. The guy in front of me stopped in the middle of the narrow chute at the dismount line. Could not blow past him. Probably lost 4 seconds in a 7 hour race. no great loss, good thing I was paying attention though.

I'm happy with this transition.
Run
  • 3h 02m 2s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 13m 54s  min/mile
Comments:

Well, as I suspected this is where it got tough. My longest run to date is 8 miles. With basically one month of training, I think I did ok, and it appears today (Monday) that I didn't actually hurt myself, although hurting is what my legs and feet are doing - it all appears to be muscular.
run/walk 3:1 and pretty much a slightly sub10 min pace for the first three miles. Had to stop and move my chip to the other leg, it was biting my ankle for some reason.
Followed my plan to take a good warm up on mile one. Walked several times in the first five minutes. After that I felt like running, so I stepped it up to just sub 10 min pace. I figured I'd be plodding a lot later, and to use different muscles I'd go ahead and run. Walked the big hill just past 3 miles. Walked the second big hill at 4.3 miles. Then the 'flat' out and back, pretty much was able to maintain a 10 min pace, but extended my walk to 1:03 for each four min stretch. 2:30/1:30

Just past mile 8 the fatigue started setting in. I was pretty good with gels, gatoraide, and cliff blocks all the way along. Took all my own nutrition after last year's experience. Took good advantage of the water and ice on the course. hung a wet paper towel out of the back of my hat, down my neck. best thing ever. After the turn around at mile 6.2 the wind was in our face and cooling quite nicely.
Long walk at mile 9 - walked the whole four minutes. Walked the downhills now as well as the uphills. Knees were hurting, especially the right. Feet hurting. Coming into the park, I was thinking, What have I learned at IM that will help me now? So at the mile 10 aide station I sat down, visited with volunteers and rested my feet and legs. That helped, but by this point I was well beyond my training. Tried various strides to see if I could figure out how to run and not hurt my knee. Stopped to stretch a little and that helped some. Stretched then walked most of the last mile, but knee felt good enough to run the last 1/2 or so.

Garmin says: from mile 1-9 ave pace was about 12 - 13 min/mile. At mile 10 it went to 16min/mi. That tells me what I need to do with my long runs. Like maybe do them?

Overall, for only a month of training, not so bad. I actually was doing fairly well, I thought until the last three to four miles. And overall, I'm pretty pleased.

This is starting to sound like a pattern: Train more, but for the run this is absolutely true. I simply was not ready to run 13.1 miles. For my training I thought I did well. Plan executed fairly well, and it went about as I expected. I had forgotten about hurting knees. But I learned that stretching the inside of my legs helps alleviate the outside knee pain.
Post race
Warm down:

The post race massage was fabulous. I had stopped by and got worked on the day before the race. I think he loosened up my calves, and I had absolutely no problems with calf tightness. Think because I paid the day before they took a little extra time with me after the race. In any case the girl who worked on me really helped loosen me up, and knees don't hurt.

Sat in the lake a bit, and had recovery drink while waiting for massage. Walked around a tiny bit. Feet really hurt

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of run training.

Event comments:

We started just about 10 minutes late because of early morning storms which moved the buoys around a bit.

This is an awesome venue. Lots of variety on both the run and the bike. Aide stations well stocked, and there was even ice between a couple of the aide stations. There's plenty of challenge to be had here as well. Some hills, some flat, some wind - Something for everyone.

The Greer's put on a very well organized race.

Last updated: 2013-06-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:33:52 | 2112 yards | 01m 36s / 100yards
Age Group: 4/10
Overall: 215/
Performance: Good
Suit: Wetsuit
Course: Large rectangle. Enter from beach, finish on boat ramp. Buoys easy to see, and stuff to sight on, on the cliffs above the lake.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:54
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
03:19:57 | 56 miles | 16.86 mile/hr
Age Group: 6/10
Overall: 348/
Wind: Some
Course: Double out and back.. They've repaired the road segment that was so bad. It's still not great, but it's much, much better. Two big climbs coming out of T1 ) short but steep. After that two canyon crossings. See website for map.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:46
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
03:02:02 | 13.1 miles | 13m 54s  min/mile
Age Group: 7/10
Overall: 540/
Performance: Below average
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2013-07-01 9:10 PM

User image

Expert
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Silver member
Subject: Ironman 70.3 Buffalo Springs Lake
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 Buffalo Springs Lake Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ironman 70.3 Buffalo Springs Lake

Started by Lar Dog
Views: 1107 Posts: 1

2012-06-25 7:38 AM Lar Dog

Started by firefighternelson
Views: 1393 Posts: 1

2011-07-12 10:10 PM firefighternelson

Started by Newtons1st
Views: 2168 Posts: 3

2011-07-06 1:55 PM tnguyen1

Started by killie42
Views: 1772 Posts: 1

2011-07-02 10:53 AM killie42

Started by syphongalaxy
Views: 1966 Posts: 3

2011-06-28 6:21 AM AndrewMT
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 28, 2012
author : dilletaunt
comments : 5
Another year, another excuse in missing the Ironman 70.3 Lake Stevens triathlon.

date : March 28, 2012
author : packetron
comments : 4
My personal experience to complete the Ironman 70.3
date : August 21, 2008
author : TriChica
comments : 8
I thought of all the times I didn’t attempt something I wanted to do because I was too afraid of trying something new or of failing completely.

date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.
date : January 1, 2008
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
Here is my five step plan for getting mentally prepared for next year’s Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, or any other race that you may have.

date : October 4, 2007
author : jgosse66
It was the morning of Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, I felt queasy. I didn't want to eat or drink anything. I had a full blown case of the pre-race HEEBEE GEEBEES.
date : August 10, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
The first time I ventured into the deep murky green lake and could not see the bottom my muscles tensed and my imagined fears surfaced. What exactly lies beneath?

date : June 6, 2006
author : Ingrid Loos
comments : 4
A bad race left me smoldering, but time and a gentle breeze ignited my passion to race again.